Uptown Charlotte Project Rundown

dubone

That is freggin awesome. Great research ! When they say PROPOSED, what the heck are they saying??? I mean this is definately the 300 South Tryon Block. I thought cornerstone was going to put something there, but the rederings they had looked nothing like the structure on the web site. Now the question is how old is the company's web site. I would have to believe it is not that old. Also when they say proposed, it almost sounds like they are refering to another HQ, and not one currently here. ;)

A2

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jenkins Peer has the picture saved as "firsttower". They have all the other pictures saved as relevant names, so I would assume that "first" means that it is for a bank with "first" in it's name.

This would narrow the list to First Charter, or First Citizens. It could be an old proposal for First Union as well. I would prefer First Charter move downtown from the suburban campus.

Jenkins Peer has the picture saved as "firsttower".  They have all the other pictures saved as relevant names, so I would assume that "first" means that it is for a bank with "first" in it's name.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Could is simply be the first one in a series? I would find it very surprising if First Charter or First Citizens would build any tower right now.

I'm pretty sure it's an old proposal.

I would think First would mean either First Union, or first in a series. If any other bank was considering building a HQ tower on Tryon, we'd have heard about it...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would agree with that viewpoint RHJ. BTW, is the Southpark thing you mentioned back in previous threads about the Lofts at Morrison??? From what I understand this is going to be a pretty dense and Urban project for that part of SP. 10+ story residential high rise. Upscale Shopping, sidewalk cafes plus a nice 2 acre park. This will all be combined with several mid-rises and one and two level lofts. Once you go down just two blocks on Sharon, you have the Village going up too. I have seen more change in the SP area in tha last year than in probably my entire six plus years of living in the area.

A2

Jenkins Peer has the picture saved as "firsttower".  They have all the other pictures saved as relevant names, so I would assume that "first" means that it is for a bank with "first" in it's name.

This would narrow the list to First Charter, or First Citizens.  It could be an old proposal for First Union as well.  I would prefer First Charter move downtown from the suburban campus.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

First Charter merged with Home Federal (headquartered about a block up Tryon) in 1998, but did not move into the University headquarters until 2001. Maybe this was just an option they studied but chose University instead? Just a thought.

First Charter merged with Home Federal (headquartered about a block up Tryon) in 1998, but did not move into the University headquarters until 2001. Maybe this was just an option they studied but chose University instead? Just a thought.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well that just sucks. I am sick of these sprwaled out corporate campuses. WT Harris has been the death to many a hopefull 50 story tower. :angry:

A2

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It was most likely due to cost. That is a fairly pragmatic bank in terms of how they run their business and most likely built their new HQ in URP because it cost much less money to do so, and the area has very easy access. And if they have a corporate plane, the airport in Concord is just a couple of exits up the road.

We just have to wait a few years for some of the mass transit lines to built downtown... by then it is possible that some of these large employers will realize what a peice of shhh University City and Haris Blvd is and decide to relocate back to the center city. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you can thank Ed Crutchfield for Wachovia's (former First Union) CIC

As gas prices soar, living within walking distance to your job might look like the smartest financial decision possible.

Unfortunately, prices of steel, wood, and concrete are almost certain to rise due to the demand of rebuilding.

Will everything be built? Yes, but a lot of developers will be cutting into their contingencies. I'm sure a few developers will wait and see where prices go for materials before announcing new projects.....or at least will wait on announcing pricing.

With all that said, does anyone think that businesses or people will consider locating inland now.....say Charlotte?

With all that said, does anyone think that businesses or people will consider locating inland now.....say Charlotte?

Oh yea. I would think so. I am sure a large percentage of people that previously lived in New Orleans and the coast will move on out. Losing your house one time would be enough for me.

If the interest rate stays low, construction can go on. It will be interesting to see

what happens in the next year. Most of the projects should be under way.

NO should see a building boom. Most of NO will have to be torn down. By that time gas should be stable.

Maybe prices for materials will be stable also.

Our bigest problem is China demand for steel and concrete.

The mayor of Houston said that he is bracing himself for the possibilty that some of the people that are being transported to the Astrodome may stay in Houston as thier new home. I think 20,000 are supposed to be brought into Houston. Although Houston isn't an "inland" city you do see a lot of people that may not have too much to return to LA or MS for. I think the wealthier will return but a lot of the poor may just decide to stay in whatever city they are transported to since they may not have a job or home in there old home town anymore and no car to get there. They may be desperate and need to take care of thier families and just atempt to find a job and apartment in Houston or whatever city they are in. I can see businesses relocating to cities like Charlotte which would in turn bring wealthier citizens with it. There were already a lot of people moving to Charlotte from the deep south, more MS and AL than LA though. I guess we will see but one thing that will hurt NO is if the hurricane caused extensive damage to the historic structure that give NO its character. NO's character was its real selling point, economically the city wasn't that strong before the storm.

I"m not sure of this, but isn't charlotte already the 2nd/3rd largest city in the US (metro area not included) that's not on a body of water?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

While I am not sure about that stat, I do believe that Charlotte will use their geographic position in the US as a benifit versus a negative that most people view a city with no water as.

Large cities not on a body of water:

Phoenix (but dang it's hot)

Dallas

San Jose

Denver (not quite as large as CLT, but Metros larger)

Atlanta (same situation as Denver)

Guys check this out:

http://biz.yahoo.com/weekend/safestplaces_1.html

It lists the safest cities and the most dangerous cities to live in as ranked by natural disasters.

What is so freggin nuts about it is the fact that they have Honolulu as the #1 safest place. Call me crazy, but aren't they living on a VOLCANO !!! :w00t:

(not to mention they are isolated on the Pacific and are affected by Hurricanes.)

PLUS, most of their Top 10 is on a Major Fault line. Both Oregon and Washington are prone to BOTH Volcanos (ie St Helens) and Earthquakes.

Consequently, the people doing the study are from Portland (I would say this is a bit of Hometown bias)

A2

Archived