Retail/stores you would like to see in SE VA

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

True it is just a grocery store but it is a nice one. Some of us here at UP HR have been preaching for high end retail for the area. If we want good businesses to locate here with good paying jobs we need the high end retail and amenities that those more affluent would appreciate. While I realize it is not quite 'if we build it we will come', it is a good step in the right direction.

And what ya wanna bet this Trader Joes is coming to TC area eh.. :whistling:

And what ya wanna bet this Trader Joes is coming to TC area eh..  :whistling:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They'd do wise to put it at TC. If they wind up putting it in the lynnhaven area I'd be like "whats the point?" Hopefully they'll put it in the bottom of one of those new condo towers.

More and likely it will be at the bottom of the Westin or the Cosmo

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Must be the Cosmo cause he said in 2006 and the Westin won't be ready by then. Maybe Trader is joining all the retail that will open at the Cosmo. Sounds good to me. :thumbsup:

yeah more than likely! One more Vdogg go ahead and just post anything.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:rofl: I don't post whore. I try to make sure it's something substantive.

On the Cosmo: I forgot all about that, I guess it would be more likely than the Westin at this point. Probably a better fit anyway.

:rofl: I don't post whore. I try to make sure it's something substantive.

On the Cosmo: I forgot all about that, I guess it would be more likely than the Westin at this point. Probably a better fit anyway.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But this one is special! Have you seen how long the other guys have been on and the post count they have! We've been here not even a year and are catching up to them! :rofl:

trader joes are pretty small....they would probably fit well into a space in an urbanized area... i.e. what TC is trying to become....

However, as comparison, there is a Trader Joe's in Fairfax near school that isn't really in a great shopping center at all. There's a ChuckECheese, Popeye's Chicken, Hallmark (i think) and some cheesy mom and pop in what used to be a CVS... So it might not end up in TC after all, though I hope it would.

trader joes are pretty small....they would probably fit well into a space in an urbanized area... i.e. what TC is trying to become....

However, as comparison, there is a Trader Joe's in Fairfax near school that isn't really in a great shopping center at all. There's a ChuckECheese, Popeye's Chicken, Hallmark (i think) and some cheesy mom and pop in what used to be a CVS... So it might not end up in TC after all, though I hope it would.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmm... I sure hope they don't go that route. We have so many large grocers that they would need to do something to set them apart in order to compete in the regular market. They should really try and contain themselves in the urban niche.

I believe town center has great potential. bringing in all these new high-end businesses brings the high to middle class family into the area and hopefully sufficates the low class and poverty out of the area.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, I believe TC has a ton of potential. With the new tower being built next year I am hoping.. really hoping the city is working hard to bring in good paying businesses to locate there.

Its amazing how much money AH has made in only a few city blocks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes. And the good thing is that it is just now beginning. As mentioned before there is the new tower to be constructed, The Cosmo, Westin, and Performing Arts Center are yet to open as well as all the retail in that center. There is also City Walk (formerly Town Square where the old HQ is located) and City View (on Bonney Road). And, we have been told the old FX is currently being assessed for redevelopment. The best days are truly ahead for us. :)

Yes. And the good thing is that it is just now beginning. As mentioned before there is the new tower to be constructed, The Cosmo, Westin, and Performing Arts Center are yet to open as well as all the retail in that center. There is also City Walk (formerly Town Square where the old HQ is located) and City View (on Bonney Road). And, we have been told the old FX is currently being assessed for redevelopment. The best days are truly ahead for us.  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, and the new Pembroke office tower which will be 12 storeys if my memory serves me correct.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are 100% correct.

Are we looking at any more 20+ story towers for TC? Besides the AH tower and Westin, most of this stuff seems to be 10 story residential stuff and the 12 story office tower. I know there is still WAY more to be known, in addition to the 2nd office tower (is that the pembroke one?)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The 2nd tower at TC will be least be 20 storeys - probably more I am thinking. The 12 storey Pembroke tower will replace Pembroke 5 or 6 I think it is.

The 2nd tower at TC will be least be 20 storeys - probably more I am thinking. The 12 storey Pembroke tower will replace Pembroke 5 or 6 I think it is.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The 2nd office tower is supposed to be 23 stories and will start construction next year. Of course that is subject to change based on demand. From the way he's talking i'm pretty sure both city walk towers will be over 20 as well. The Cityview apartment towers are supposed to go up to 15 stories but may indeed hit 20 before all is said and done.

The 2nd office tower is supposed to be 23 stories and will start construction next year. Of course that is subject to change based on demand. From the way he's talking i'm pretty sure both city walk towers will be over 20 as well. The Cityview apartment towers are supposed to go up to 15 stories but may indeed hit 20 before all is said and done.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lets hope they go taller. Can you imagine going down 264 and seeing tall buildings from 3 cities! Vabeach, Norfolk and then Portsmouth! Things will get great in the 757

WTF is a trader joe. isnt that just a fancy groccery store? who cares....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's not really a "fancy grocery store" as much as it is a healthy kind of store whose prices are very cheap. Especially when compared to Fresh Market, Harris Teeter, Wild Oats, etc. I am surprised that they have not entered this area yet to be honest.

Archived