Hampton Roads Transportation

vdogg

Thomas Moss(Norfolk) Stanley Walker(Norfolk) were Speaker of the House and President of the Senate respectively for many years in the General Assembly, so I wish people stop with this conspiracy theory crap. If you want to complain about Hampton Roads getting "shortchanged" on transportation money, its not very to get involved in your local Republican and or Democratic parties, and start asking question and getting involved. The Gas Tax hasn't been raised in 20 years, you shouldn't be surprised there is little money new projects.

Thomas Moss(Norfolk) Stanley Walker(Norfolk) were Speaker of the House and President of the Senate respectively for many years in the General Assembly, so I wish people stop with this conspiracy theory crap. If you want to complain about Hampton Roads getting "shortchanged" on transportation money, its not very to get involved in your local Republican and or Democratic parties, and start asking question and getting involved. The Gas Tax hasn't been raised in 20 years, you shouldn't be surprised there is little money new projects.

So being the speaker of the house can make the rest of the reps there vote for the money to go for the roads here? I thought it was a majority vote......

So being the speaker of the house can make the rest of the reps there vote for the money to go for the roads here? I thought it was a majority vote......

As a Delegate or Senator, you don't "have" vote with your party leadership, but more often than not, they do. The Speaker, President pro tempore of the Senate and the Governor usually set the legislative agenda. Two of these men were from Norfolk and held these positions for a decent amout of time.

Edited by VAGATOR

It would be useful to see how much "porK" and waste Virginia has for transportation projects compared to the rest of the nation. Then we could evaluate the problem further. I think that states like Pennsylvania were much worse then we were in the past.

In any case, we won't get anything by simply throwing out our entire system and by not funding it somehow. I honestly think that there will be no perfect plan, simply because political realities won't allow it. Gas taxes always made the most sense to me, being closest to a user fee in principal and relatively easy to administer. But political opposition to gas taxes has always been a terrific obstacle.

It would be useful to see how much "porK" and waste Virginia has for transportation projects compared to the rest of the nation. Then we could evaluate the problem further. I think that states like Pennsylvania were much worse then we were in the past.

In any case, we won't get anything by simply throwing out our entire system and by not funding it somehow. I honestly think that there will be no perfect plan, simply because political realities won't allow it. Gas taxes always made the most sense to me, being closest to a user fee in principal and relatively easy to administer. But political opposition to gas taxes has always been a terrific obstacle.

I don't have a problem with a gas tax but putting tolls everywhere and tax the living crap out of everything is not the answer. People in this state or region don't have any other means for transportation and should not be penalized for the lack of development of mass transportation.

Personally, I think a lack of foresight and incompetence at VDOT were the biggest problems with transportation in this state, not worthless pork projects. Like I said before, most of the transportation issues in Hampton Roads except for the third crossing can be fixed with a reasonable rise in the gas tax and tolls.

If I were made King, I would impose a modest gas tax that can be used solely for roads. Then I would clean house over at VDOT. Not by firing everyone, but by cleaning up the process of actually building roads etc. There is no need for 500 (sarcasm) impact studies and thirty different layers of commissions and review boards. Then the next thing would be to impose fines like New Jersey does with any contractor that violates the the timelines and or contract. This would really clean up the system and save the taxpayer a dime or two. Imposing stiff fines, heavy fees, and tolls is a tact for gutless politicians who are afraid to trim up the budget and they don't want to shake things up. By going this route, we'll have the same old wastefull system that has more money to play with. In my opinion you don't reward them with more cash...you change the way things get done around here.

frankly i think its pretty outrageous some of you people are just giving these obviously bad appropriations free passes and then going and saying that the state needs more money when we're running a surplus ... but what more should we expect from the mandarins in richmond's forbidden city?

if you raise taxes when you're actually running a surplus, when do you stop raising taxes???

people are absolving the public servants from their job of running a tight and efficient government. managing finances is like good writing: vigorous and concise without the slop of extraneousness.

Those earmarks that were mentioned in the editorial do seem a little off the track to me, but they aren't exhorbitant, and they aren't necessarily "bad" projects, especially when we need to consider multi-modal transportation measures these days. I don't disagree with you, nor am I an expert, but we need some perspective on this if we are going to reform the processes.

Ironically, there is so little money available for major transportation projects that there seems to be more available for the cheaper, discretionary ones. Politicians are under a lot of pressure to produce things, even little things. Money for trails, bikeways and accessory type facilities is available from the Feds, often provided that matching funds are available from state and local sources. Federal transportation legislation practically guarantees that these projects come forth.

frankly i think its pretty outrageous some of you people are just giving these obviously bad appropriations free passes and then going and saying that the state needs more money when we're running a surplus ... but what more should we expect from the mandarins in richmond's forbidden city?

if you raise taxes when you're actually running a surplus, when do you stop raising taxes???

people are absolving the public servants from their job of running a tight and efficient government. managing finances is like good writing: vigorous and concise without the slop of extraneousness.

Well the surplus is what makes the last govenor and the new one look good. It is a political position so to say. "My term I ran a surplus". But the question needs to be asked," What was done with the surplus"? Also how much surplus is too much? Is the state government a business? Do we really need a surplus? So do I get a check around tax season for my portion of the profit? I'm all for profit sharing!

"Democrats unleashed a barrage of complaints Tuesday over a House of Delegates transportation plan that routes more money to Hampton Roads and Northern Virginia than to the rest of the state."

Democrats opposed this? :huh: Why? I'm both disappointed and surprised by that. I hope everyone up there realizes how much these areas, particularly Hampton Roads, needs every dime it can get now.

Ok, my whole world just shattered. :lol: Honestly, I'm with the republicans on this one.

He said that Northern Virginians pay 28 percent of all income taxes the state collects and 16 percent of the sales tax. Hampton Roads residents pay a similarly disproportionate share. And they are the people who most often sit in traffic, he said.

"Not one time did anyone from rural Virginia stand up and say 'That is not fair,' " Albo said. "Now, when the time comes to help the people of Hampton Roads and Northern Virginia ... people from rural Virginia say it's not fair."

"Democrats unleashed a barrage of complaints Tuesday over a House of Delegates transportation plan that routes more money to Hampton Roads and Northern Virginia than to the rest of the state."

Democrats opposed this? :huh: Why? I'm both disappointed and surprised by that. I hope everyone up there realizes how much these areas, particularly Hampton Roads, needs every dime it can get now.

Ok, my whole world just shattered. :lol: Honestly, I'm with the republicans on this one.

:rofl: I was always with the republicans!

• 2 weeks later...

And on a side note, tolls are definately coming to HR.

House passes toll bill

The newly created authority could impose tolls on crossings including the James River Bridge, the Monitor-Merrimac Memorial Bridge, the Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel, the Midtown Tunnel, the Downtown Tunnel and the Interstate 64 High-Rise Bridge in Chesapeake.

Williams said the tolls will be a regular part of the Hampton Roads routine for decades and "probably for the rest of our lives."