Norfolk Development

vdogg

The southside has over a million people and is still growing. Half of Vabeach isn't even developed and same for Chesapeake and Suffolk, the parts that are developed have alot more people per sq mile than nova.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Even though we have a lot of land left there are certain laws on the books that prevent us from passing the green line. It's an anti-sprawl measure designed to keep Va. Beach in check. It'll be real interesting to see what happens with Oceana. I really think if things go south the beach will try to reclaim that land for residential development.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to change the flow of this conversation back toward Norfolk, does anyone suppose that the third anchor for McAuthur Mall may will eventually be Macy's? I am hoping that the mall will seek to attract Macy's fabled name thus building the region's first and hopefully grandest store in the region! I would also like to see a signature restaurant someone along the Granby corridor. I would like to keep this area more unique with less national brands than the mall but a good signature restaurant would provide a higher profile for the Granby mall. I would like to see the downtown plaza really become a plaza full of national brand restaurants and retail stores with condominiums and towers. I think that we can also expand on our arts and academic setting with TCC's student center, a joint central library with TCC and the city partnering to develop an iconic tower that is unlike anything in the region, and an entertainment venue with perhaps a skating rink, ice skating, skakeboarding, and even an xtreme sports arena, and a bowling alley, to attract more younger kids downtown.

Just to change the flow of this conversation back toward Norfolk, does anyone suppose that the third anchor for McAuthur Mall may will eventually be Macy's? I am hoping that the mall will seek to attract Macy's fabled name thus building the region's first and hopefully grandest store in the region! I would also like to see a signature restaurant someone along the Granby corridor. I would like to keep this area more unique with less national brands than the mall but a good signature restaurant would provide a higher profile for the Granby mall. I would like to see the downtown plaza really become a plaza full of national brand restaurants and retail stores with condominiums and towers. I think that we can also expand on our arts and academic setting with TCC's student center, a joint central library with TCC and the city partnering to develop an iconic tower that is unlike anything in the region, and an entertainment venue with perhaps a skating rink, ice skating, skakeboarding, and even an xtreme sports arena, and a bowling alley, to attract more younger kids downtown.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Downtown plaza is already spoken for, it will be the new courthouse, city hall and other high rise buildings

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I really wish I could be optimistic about a Macy's coming to the area but I really can't forsee that right now. Matter of fact I have heard the Nordstrom at MacArthur does not carry the same calibre clothing items as other stores. I would not know this to be true first hand but I have heard this several several times. The same thing was told here in Va Beach at the now defunct Lord and Taylor store. I think this area is still very much a military town (nothing wrong with that) and unfortunately the pay is subpar with other regions our size such as Charlotte and Raleigh - and even Richmond. I do think as Norfolk grows with all the upscale housing being built, over time more and more upscale stores may surface - which is good news.

We are big but we just don't have the caliber of jobs that we need. That is why i said we need more fortune 500 companies planted in the area. This is critical for this area. This is why i said that a major league team will help this area attract major companies. Big boys like things to do and sports is one of them, especially for tax right off.

I don't know, an announcement at a rec. center doesn't seem fitting for a project a big as a 4-star high-rise Hilton, but you never know.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I really don't think the Hilton will be announced today, as much as i hate to say it. I'm anxious for news too but everything announced today will likely be related to the willoughby/oceanview area. It's some pretty good news though, and a very interesting project. (besides, if they were mentioning the Hilton today that likely would have been the lead story).

They need to anounce that thing soon. I think they will wait till the westin has started construction before you here any announcement by the city of norfolk about the hilton

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That could be as late as the end of summer. I sure hope it's not that long.

Matter of fact I have heard the Nordstrom at MacArthur does not carry the same calibre clothing items as other stores.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've heard the same thing as well. I have an aunt who lives in Boston. She has said that that Nordstrom in Boston has a better selection than MacArthur Center's Nordstrom.

Look at the high paying jobs in Boston. Look at the companies there. They have major companies there that pay very well and people have the money to spend. I also think they look at the trends in the areas to see what people wear. If people here don't dress like people in Boston why sell clothes that we don't wear.

It just goes to show that the market determines what merchandise to sell in a certain area.

-----

This condo project in Willoughby is great. I like what councilman Williams said about it: "It will be the first impression people have of Norfolk when they cross the bridge-tunnel. We’re hoping it becomes an icon.” This should make a big and lasting impression for the city. Norfolk is at it again. It seems like developers have been set loose and are running on a wild rampage from Downtown to Ocean View in Norfolk and across Hampton Roads as well.

Bravo! :thumbsup:

Has anyone heard anything to come out of that press conference this afternoon about the other projects in addition to willoughby. I know it was scheduled for 5 today but i haven't heard anything beyond what was initially announced.

Has anyone heard anything to come out of that press conference this afternoon about the other projects in addition to willoughby. I know it was scheduled for 5 today but i haven't heard anything beyond what was initially announced.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was wondering too. The newspaper says tomorrow is going to be the greatest day in Ocean View's history. Wonder what all that means? :blink:

Archived