Metro Atlanta Projects.

derrickskugler

Here's the first high-rise residential project approved for Gwinnett County

Developer Yamasaki Associates Inc. plans to begin pre-construction sales for condominium units in September, said Kelly Hong, chief executive officer of Yamasaki Atlanta LLC

The company expects to start prices for the 263-unit Belle Verde development in the low- to mid-$200,000 range, Hong said. Yamasaki plans to break ground in spring on the project estimated to cost $170 million, she added

Commissioners expect to hear two more proposals for high-rise residential condominiums in coming months. One by Wayne Mason (Global Station), and a second Gwinnett developer, George Thorndyke has submitted plans for two more 25-story residential condominiums at the Gwinnett mall.

County OKs high-rise condo towers - AJC

image4701118yi9.jpg

Edited by Martinman

"South of North" sounds cool, maybe because we're not used to seeing opposites juxtaposed this way. It's also very clear (for anyone familiar with Atlanta) that it means south of North Avenue.

"SoNo" just sounds contrived and derivative, something a McMarketer knocked out in 15 seconds. It's been done way too many times before.

BUT... the signs look great!

It's certainly a lot better than Real Estate agents selling houses north west of Atlantic Station and calling it "The Upper West Side"

W Atlanta - Midtown- Globe St

A joint venture of locally based Noble Investment Group and Boston-based AEW Capital Management LP has acquired the 467-room Sheraton Colony Square hotel in Midtown for $48.5 million. Following a $50-million renovation, the landmark hotel will be converted into a W Hotel in late 2007.

The property will be renamed W Atlanta-Midtown. To convert the hotel into a W, a near gut renovation of the property will occur. As part of its conversion to a W Hotel, the property will include three food and beverage outlets; a spa; 36,000 sf of meeting, banquet and pre-function space including a ballroom and a full-service business center.

Edited by Martinman

Ackerman plans The Stratford

Atlanta Business Chronicle - 2:33 PM EDT Thursdayby Rachel Tobin RamosStaff Writer

Another luxury project is in the works in Buckhead -- this one with $6 million condominiums, a 300-room hotel and exclusive fashion boutiques that could lure the likes of Prada and Gucci.

In other words, something that might seem more at home on the Champs-Elys

• 3 weeks later...

There the grow again. The Gwinnett Place Mall area is really taking off in the residential highrise category. This should be interesting to see how this area develops. While there is minimal transit options, I fear it's not enough. There is currently a bus running from this area to the MARTA Doraville Station but what about the countless residents who will work in the Perimeter Center area? Gwinnett is "great" but Gwinnett should also tackle the transit issues as well.

Just asking a question so please don't jump all over me. Could someone explain to me why one would buy a high rise condo in Gwinnett county? I just don't get it but maybe I'm just not seeing something here.

Gwinnett County has over 700,000 people living in it. It is still growing. Gwinnett has a great reputation nationally...I'm sure that if 4000 highrise condo units were delivered over a reasonable period of time that there is probably some slight pent up demand. At first I think it's a bit odd because I thought you moved to Gwinnett for the suburban experience. What we may be experiencing now is that Gwinnett is moving into another period of development. One where new residents are not moving there for suburbia but because of what it represents. Gwinnett has a very fast growing Asian and Eastern European population....this in addition to is Hispanic population.

Just asking a question so please don't jump all over me. Could someone explain to me why one would buy a high rise condo in Gwinnett county? I just don't get it but maybe I'm just not seeing something here.

Well I'm not interested in buying one so I wouldn't know.

I would point out though that the Asian population is exploding in Gwinnett and Asian developers are involved in two of the condo proposals. I suspect that Asian buyers, used to high rise living in other parts of the country are likely the primary target audience.

In fact I wouldn't be surprised if someday Gwinnett Mall was someday remodeled into an Asian themed mall.

Edited by Martinman

• 4 weeks later...

I know there was some question about whether the Two Alliance Center tower would go forward when the property was sold this summer. Apparently it will. The new owner, Tishman Speyer, now says

Alliance Center will soon add another quality Class "A" office tower with the planned Two Alliance Center development. This 20-story, 485-000-square-foot tower will be the third phase of the 10-acre Alliance Center master plan.

http://www.tishmanspeyer.com/Properties/Property.aspx?id=132

Edited by Andrea

Aquarium to get bigger!

13 million rehab will benefit visitors, fish, even otters

By TOM SABULIS

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 10/18/06

Less than a year after opening, the Georgia Aquarium is undertaking $13 million in renovations that will enhance visitor entrances, provide extra restrooms, add pumps and filters to accommodate rapidly growing fish and redo one exhibit, for Asian otters.

Part facelift and part expansion, the tuneup addresses needs that have come to light as overwhelming crowds have flocked to the $290 million facility, the world's largest aquarium, since it opened last November. More than 3.3 million people

Looking at this thread, I see that the Georgia Aquarium addition was already mentioned. Opps, I put one in the Georgia Aquarium thread today. I guess I was too slow, lol.

In other news (which was probably already mentioned here as well):

A new midrise condo development is planned for Lindbergh in southern Buckhead.

The "eon at Lindbergh" will be located in the 47-acre Lindbergh City Center, a mixed-use, urban community comprised of retail, entertainment, office space, condominiums and apartments.

The project will feature a courtyard with sculptures, a club room with a fireplace, a fitness center with offset yoga room, two landscaped pool areas, and a walking trail.

Finally the TOD around Lindbergh MARTA station is finally starting to see much more residential growth. With more foot traffic and heads in the area, retail and dining options will surely increase.

Also in the development news (which was probably also already mentioned):

Newell Rubbermaid will expand it's corporate headquarters and will add jobs.

Atlanta-based Newell Rubbermaid Tuesday said it will build a new mid-rise headquarters building in Sandy Springs to house its existing 300 employees here

Finally the TOD around Lindbergh MARTA station is finally starting to see much more residential growth. With more foot traffic and heads in the area, retail and dining options will surely increase.

Very true, Celeste. I was passing through there the other day and that area is transforming very rapidly. There's a new office building under construction at Lindbergh City Center in addition to the many retail and residential projects in the vicinity.

It was kind of sad to see that the Lindmont apartments are now being demolished, but I will have to admit they'd gone downhill a bit. I always liked them and knew a number of people who've lived there over the years.

• 2 weeks later...