Metro Atlanta Projects.

derrickskugler

Woah, it seems like the Ritz Carlton (Right Across The street) will have some competition.

This is great. It will be easily accessed by the Peachtree Center Marta Station (Anyone been on that GIGANTIC escalator?) and a quick walk to the Five points area and the Fairlie Poplar district.

Woah, it seems like the Ritz Carlton (Right Across The street) will have some competition.

This is great. It will be easily accessed by the Peachtree Center Marta Station (Anyone been on that GIGANTIC escalator?) and a quick walk to the Five points area and the Fairlie Poplar district.

That escalator is ridiculous. I mean that side of Peachtree seriously needs an elavator. I hope they renovate the rest of the abandon places around there

I was in town last Saturday and again yesterday. - Had to pick up a few things for the pending arrival from New Baby Products (an excellent store on Cheshire Bridge, by the way). - Anyway, I was able to go by a few sites and snap some photos:

The long awaited streetscaping improvements on Cheshire Bridge have started:

100_4072.jpg

They are finishing auger cast piles on Aqua and will be starting foundation work soon:

100_4041.jpg

100_4042.jpg

Plaza Midtown is probably one of the best-looking residential high-rises in the city:

100_4040.jpg

100_4043.jpg

The Reynolds is getting closer to complete and is a classy addition to that stretch of Peachtree:

100_4044.jpg

100_4045.jpg

100_4046.jpg

The Auburn Avenue re-development is underway:

100_4049.jpg

This will be a real boon for GSU students in the new dorms - eliminating the blight in between the campus and the dorms.

The new GSU dorms are a pretty sizable project:

100_4052.jpg

A parting shot down Baker Street towards the Aquarium:

100_4053.jpg

Nice shots, Eric! What is that slab at the street in this last one?

Not sure what you mean. If you're talking about the foreground, That is the cross-street at that intersection - Williams Street. (I had to take some of these from the car. I had a sleeping three-year-old with me.)

That picture of Cheshire Bridge makes me want to run over to Happy Herman's for a Cuban sandwich.

Nah, go to Kool Korners at 14th and State Street. Or better yet, the Havana Sandwich Shop on Buford Hwy. - Get the Cuban Platter with Black Bean Soup and Yellow Rice! :thumbsup:

Edited by Newnan_Eric

Quoting me: "What is that slab at the street in this last one?"

Not sure what you mean. If you're talking about the foreground, That is the cross-street at that intersection - Williams Street.

I'm referring to that big reddish-brown slab wall next to the sidewalk in the right foreground. It's near the date stamp, and some people are standing next to it. There are some parked cars next to them. Sadly, it looks like some architect or developer has turned his back on the street once again.

Edited by Andrea

Or better yet, the Havana Sandwich Shop on Buford Hwy.

I do like that place, although HH would still get my nostalgia vote. They must have been there 60 years.

Cheshire Bridge is such a great street. A number of those restaurants date back to the 1950's, and I think the Colonnade opened in the 1920's.

I'm referring to that big reddish-brown slab wall next to the sidewalk in the right foreground. It's near the date stamp, and some people are standing next to it. There are some parked cars next to them. Sadly, it looks like some architect or developer has turned his back on the street once again.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe that is the SW corner of Museum Tower. I really don't understand developers not packing every available space with retail. It costs only nominally more to do and the payoffs could be huge.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe that is the SW corner of Museum Tower. I really don't understand developers not packing every available space with retail. It costs only nominally more to do and the payoffs could be huge.

Yeah thats a part of Musuem Tower. Its actually not a slab though. There are little indentations in the side of the building. I believe there are small windows facing COP and the children's Musuem is on the other side of the wall.

^^^ To be honest, I don't really think that it is such a horrible thing that this portion of the museum tower does not have street level retail.

- It is a pretty severe grade. Even in mucn more urban cities, the retail is suspended on some of the bigger hills. I lived in the Bay Area for a while and in San Francisco the retial is usually on the cross-streets that don't have such severe grades.

- The immediate surroundings make it hard to attract pedestrian traffic necessary for the viability of street level retail. While you do have the park to the West, the blocks to the South and Southeast are the imposing blank facades of the Inforum and America's Mart. The block to the East has the underwhelming Days Inn.

- When the museum tower was built it was pioneering this neighborhood. I think that the developer and the ImagineIt museum should be commended for what they did accomplish. The children's museum faces the park, the Aquarium, and the soon-to-be World of Coke. To the North is all of the fabulous development at Ivan Allen Plaza and Twelve Centenial Park, but the Museum Tower was the first.

I think I can forgive this particular blank wall. I will agree that Atlanta has far to many of them. Let's hope that this is the exception rather than the rule going forward.

Here maybe you can see what I'm talking about

Its not a solid wall (this must be the north side of the building)

streetscapemuseum5lg5cc.jpg

and there are windows (look below the parking deck) which you can't see from the angle where Newnan Eric took the pic

museumtwrvhero9px.jpg

They have a nice rooftop garden too

landscapelg8ml.jpg

Edited by Martinman

This is the area I was referring to:

I know. From that angle it looks like a solid wall but its not. Look at the area between the Inforum and that tree. Underneath the parking deck where you can see three seperate small walls that sort of fan out from the building. The windows are facing the park and not visible from Newnan Eric's photo.

museumtwrvhero9px.jpg

Edited by Martinman

You can blame everyone's favorite villian (no, not John Portman) Bill Campbell for this one. Museum Tower was developed by some of his "associates" so many of the zoning rules were waived. The parking deck for example was suppose to have active uses (which doesn't mean it has to be retail) along Baker street. Also those walls you see in the photos were suppose to be all glass... I even have an early architectural rendering that shows it that way. They apparently were given the ok to scale back the glass to the little slivers of glass that you can only see walking eastward on Baker. The building as received TAD funds but did not set aside 25% of units for moderate income buyers as is required for residential buildings getting the publicly funded TAD money. Instead they were allowed to substitute the Childrens Museum space... which is nice in of itself but there are already rumors that they're planning to move elsewhere along the park because they were given such a small space and can not expand like they need to. It certainly saved the developer a lot of money getting the TAD money but then only having to give up a small part of the building in return.

Howdy Aubie, I always thought the Museum Tower looked, kind of awkward. But do you still like living there?

Anyways, welcome to the subforum here, I just wouldn't recommend straying too far from here...

Thanks. I signed up about a year ago but then thought better of it. But it appears this section is mostly left alone by you know who, so we'll see how it goes.

Actually, I don't live in Museum Tower, I live in Centennial House. With all the highrise condo towers going up in the neighborhood, we're going to be the shorty. But that's ok, it gives us a unique identity.

It would be nice if the plans for the of the Museum Tower block were realized. The northside of the building looks weird because it was designed for another building to nest up against it. Since that hasn't happened yet, the brick suddenly ends and makes the side of the building look weird. They're using the space over there for visitor parking. Sadly many people who bought there were led to believe (or just allowed themselves to believe) that the parking lot would be there forever for their visitors.

I hope the rumors over on SSP about a thirty-four story condo tower at Luckie and Ivan Allen are true. That corner really needs a boost and it would continue the delineralization of Atlanta. And who knows, maybe some day they'll get the transit line in that rail corridor.

Here maybe you can see what I'm talking about

Its not a solid wall (this must be the north side of the building)

streetscapemuseum5lg5cc.jpg

That image has been flipped. It is the south side of the building along Baker. The road should be on the right side of the photo. If the photographer had stepped about a foot towards the street, it would have caught the slivers over glass between the concrete panels.

Edited by AubieTurtle

I know. From that angle it looks like a solid wall but its not. Look at the area between the Inforum and that tree. Underneath the parking deck where you can see three seperate small walls that sort of fan out from the building. The windows are facing the park and not visible from Newnan Eric's photo.

Actually I still don't think I'm being clear. I'm not talking about the Museum Tower, but the big reddish-brown slab wall next to the sidewalk in the right foreground. It's near the date stamp, and some people are standing next to it. There are some parked cars next to them. I don't know what that building is.