Uptown Charlotte Street and Sidewalk Plans

atlrvr

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I remember correctly, Michigan Avenue right next to grant park is 3 lanes in each direction with a median in the middle with plants. The only difference is that the traffic is so bad up there you cant speed on it. Which will not be the case with this new interchange here.

When I look at that photo of Stonewall, I see a lot of misguided investment by the city. The closest thing to pedestrian activity in 3 city funded buildings in that photo is the outdoor dining at the Westin. Other than that, it's more of the same old same old blank walls that have been popping up since the late 60's.

To be fair, the excess lanes are being required by NCDOT, not the City. How many times have we chided both them for not planning for future capacity needs? I agree that the environment is not as ped-friendly as it should be... but one only needs to look at some of our more suburban intersections in Charlotte to see that it could have been much, much worse.

When I look at that photo of Stonewall, I see a lot of misguided investment by the city. The closest thing to pedestrian activity in 3 city funded buildings in that photo is the outdoor dining at the Westin. Other than that, it's more of the same old same old blank walls that have been popping up since the late 60's.

That blank wall on the NASCAR HoF was a wasted opportunity. I know they may put up advertisements or such, but where is the retail! It's already been recommended by the CCCP that the city could support 100k sqft of retail (off the top of my head). EpiCentre isn't going to cut it. Just an exterior NASCAR gift shop would have been nice at least.

I noticed that the blank wall on Stonewall has some window-like things at street level. They are sort of blocked in mo's picture, but you can still see them. The windows and the street trees help activate that area somewhat for pedestrians. It's certainly not ideal, but it's better than the blank walls and back-of-curb sidewalk we see in other places around uptown.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm. I think that the Center City Transportation Plan calls for it to be two way eventually, but there are no imminent plans that I'm aware of. It seems to be an opportunistic process. I think Mint Street/Polar St would be next... if Park & Rec can move forward with Bearden Park.

Hmm. I think that the Center City Transportation Plan calls for it to be two way eventually, but there are no imminent plans that I'm aware of. It seems to be an opportunistic process. I think Mint Street/Polar St would be next... if Park & Rec can move forward with Bearden Park.

What's the deal with Stonewall not getting any love between Davidson and McDowell? Still bumpy concrete and for two blocks of its length, it still carries above-ground utilities (and not anything heavy--just lines to power the streetlights). As much as I love my adopted hometown, it can make some mind-numbing missteps from time to time. This would be one of them.

• 5 months later...

South Tryon Road Diet from Stonewall to Carson

You are invited to attend a public meeting for the S. Tryon Street Road Conversion Project on Wednesday, February 10, 2010 at 5:30 pm at the Charlotte Mecklenburg Government Center in Room 280. This invitation is to the general public as well as to attendees of the South End Pedestrian and Bicycle Connectivity Study meeting on May 15, 2007 and to the Steering Committee members for that project.

The project limits are from Stonewall Street in Uptown to Carson Boulevard in South End. A 90-day demonstration project is proposed to begin March 15, 2010.

Parking will be provided in the parking deck across the street accessible from Davidson Street between 3rd and 4th Streets; please bring your parking ticket with you for validation.

For more information please call me. Following the meeting a copy of the presentation will be posted on our website at http://cdot.charmeck.org

Jim Kimbler, AICP

[email protected]

Transportation Planner

City of Charlotte

CDOT - Planning and Design

( 704-336-4275 Ê 704-336-4400

From the Council/Manager memo:

Beginning in mid-March, CDOT will take the first step toward implementing the recommendation by conducting a 90-day test to confirm the feasibility of converting this segment of S. Tryon Street from a five-lane to a three-lane typical section. CDOT conducted several technical analyses which demonstrate that the conversion of Tryon St. between Uptown and South End would maintain acceptable traffic operations. NCDOT requested the 90-day test to confirm whether peak hour traffic will operate at an acceptable level following the changes.

If the evaluation confirms expectations, CDOT will begin designing for widening sidewalks on Tryon Street Bridge from five to ten feet on each side, adding bicycle lanes, and modifying the bridge railing to meet current pedestrian safety standards. CDOT also will convert Church Street to two-way operations between Carson Boulevard and Morehead Street to facilitate northbound left turns at Morehead Street. This change will provide a second choice (other than Tryon Street) for traffic bound for Morehead and I-277 ramps. Final design will be initiated during 2010. Construction will begin upon completion of design. The preliminary cost estimate of $750,000 for construction is funded through the Center City Transportation Implementation Program. The cost may be reduced based on the ability to retrofit existing bridge railings on the Tryon Street Bridge.

You reckon we could get them to cut a hole in the concrete curb/media on Carson where Winnifred intersects while they're working on all of this? Currently you can't make a left off of Winnifred, and I can't figure any good reason for that

Edit: The memo link, which also includes street sections

Edit edit: This may be a stupid question... but why are they proposing a middle turn lane on the bridge? It's not like you can turn anywhere.

^No. Completely different project.

You reckon we could get them to cut a hole in the concrete curb/media on Carson where Winnifred intersects while they're working on all of this? Currently you can't make a left off of Winnifred, and I can't figure any good reason for that

Edit: The memo link, which also includes street sections

Edit edit: This may be a stupid question... but why are they proposing a middle turn lane on the bridge? It's not like you can turn anywhere.

City Council is going to vote early next month on a temporary experiment with S Tryon. They are going to shrink S Tryon to 3 lanes between Stonewall and Carson Blvd in South End (across the 277 bridge). If it can handle the traffic flows, they will permanently reduce it and make the following changes.

1. Add bicycle lanes on that section of Tryon.

2. Make W. Hill St 2-way between Tryon and Church (long one of my pet peeves)

3. Make S. Chruch 2-way between Carson and Morehead

4. Best of all, expand the sidewalk to 10' wide over 277 (it is currently 5' wide)

Archived