New Winston-Salem Photos

twincity

sign.jpg

north%20skyline.jpg

nwblvd.jpg

This yea there supposed tom be plans to change more one-ways into two-ways for better downtown navigation. Cherry and Marshall are 2 possibilites

cherryview.jpg

cherryv2.jpg

gmac.jpg

The Liberty Street corridor is currently being redeveloped. I think this will be another possible two-way?

ivyview.jpg

libertysky1.jpg

Another view- Liberty has so much potential to be another "4th street. New condos are on the north side, Goler is on the east side and The Arts district is expanding in this area.

libertysky2.jpg

Recently completed condos on North Trade. The arts district and the MLK blvd. extension is really bringing life to that side of downtown.

tradecondos.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The developing Goler neighborhood. 70 new lofts were just announced. This year, the area will see a new 6-torey resdential tower, and Enrichment center, an Arts park, browstones and more condos. Its good to see attention paid to historically black neighborhoods.

goler.jpg

I think these are being converted to residential?

goler2.jpg

An abandoned lot screaming for redevlopment

pattersonview.jpg

rjrplaza.jpg

winreyn.jpg

2wachovias.jpg

dtand52.jpg

Winston's old skyline. Ohlanlon's, Pepper, and Stevens Center. This area has been in the news lately for a massive redevelopment with residential, office, retail and green space.

ohanlons2.jpg

Future Civic Plaza

libertyplaza.jpg

That white building will be demolished for the new park

civic%20plaza.jpg

14 storey Park place condo tower is proposed for this area

wachoviabbt.jpg

hotdogstand.jpg

The small section of the first "super block" Hopefully this a hint of what is to come for the new "super block" being proposed for 4th and Liberty

1st.jpg

All of superblock minus Century Plaza

bus40.jpg

governmentcenter.jpg

sculp.jpg

Here is one of the twin towers of the Forsyth County Jail. Is it me or is this building too nice to be a jail?

jail.jpg

Research Facility One and the new parking deck

techbuilding.jpg

Tar Branch Towers in Brookstown. You can hardly tell its a new structure.

tarbranch.jpg

View from another historic neighborhood. Happy Hill is one of the oldest Black neighborhoods in the state. it used to be home to housing projects, but now 80 percent of those are demolished making room for apartments, singe family homes and townhomes. You can see the difference driving north on 52.

happy%20hill.jpg

southskyline.jpg

As usual, great pictures twincity. I am thrilled to see Winston reclaiming and renewing the wealth of older structures in its core. I am glad all of NC's cities are spending so much time and effort on charging up their downtowns! Each one seems to offer a slightly different twist on the concept.

Great shots TwinCity!!! You have really nice shots of my two favorite buildings - the GMAC Tower and the O'Hanlon Building. And, also, good angle on the seldom seen, and little known 10 story back and side of the Reynolds American Tower, or just plain Reynolds Building.

By the way, I've been out of the country for the past two weeks, and just noticed a casual comment in the Triad Bussines Journal regarding Winston-Salem's new "Supper Block", which made refernce to some of the renderings and schematics. Has anyone seen these, or know where the are located? Wouldn't it be great if they resembled Matthew's suggestions and diagrams from a short while ago?

thans for the comments.

The Happy hil development ishuge I didnt know that site was thatlarge until they cleared all the oldbuildings. I heard that Skyline Village across 52 from Happy Hill is the next to be redeveloped and then Cleveland projects by Smith Reynolds.

The new "superblock" is said to have multiple new buildings including a restored courthouse minus the 50's wings, and a restored Pepper Building. Matthew said that a user at another forum posted that one will be as tall as the Nissen Apartments including the crown, but it will only be 14 stories. This is just from a preliminary sketch. Im hoping something will be taller since we now know that this project is officially a superblock. W-S's first one has a 34 and a 20 something storey.

Unfortunately, they always seem to be less than envisaged initially, at least in W-S. Recall the Magnolia Building (One West Fourth) was to be 17, then 15, and ended up at 13. Also, recall that it was announced in 1999 that the Liberty Building (formerly Nations Bank, formerly NCNB) was to be completely refurbished including a crown increasing it from 12 to 16 stories (actually I think its 14 now with its flat top). Also, what about the 8 story building that was reportedly leased fully to be built by Samet on Fourth and Marshall or was it Fourth and Cherry.

By the way, is there anything further on the Blue Rhino complex? Probably not as they're playing it close to the vest for the moment, and what about the 8 story Hilton somewhere downtown?

Thanks for the tour twincity. Those are some of the best photos that I have seen of Winston and its nice to get an update. That certainly is an interesting jail building. Most are pretty ugly buildings so its nice to see they put a little thought into the designe even though it is a jailhouse.

a lot of people i know find w-s a dirty city, but that is not true. only the old warehouses along I-40 are really dirty. the downtown is actually quite nice. most people forget what a major city it is to NC. it is nice to see someone show some great pics of w-s.

Archived