500 West Trade (14 story apartments on site of former Polk Building)

UrbanCharlotte

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, RANYC said:

For some reason, I love this development so much more than Uptown 550, along Stonewall.  According to the Uptown 550 website, only 20 of the units remain available for leasing.

By the way, the exit ramp from the Belk to Caldwell, running behind Uptown 550, leaves so much to be desired.  Basically there's a black chain-link fence, usually over-grown grass/weeds, and then the Uptown 550 property.  I wish the ramp could be heavily landscaped considering its positioning as a high-traffic gateway into the heartbeat of the city.  At the same time, it would also giving Uptown 550 a more elegant context, at least from a motorist's point of view.  

There way more than the approach that leaves much to be desired - and I wouldn't be surprised if NWR is purposefully under-reporting the number of units available.  Look at Uptown 550 at night time.  It's not 75% full.  Furthermore, evictions are back, and there are serious arrearages.  The sheriff's office is there, regularly.  Not to mention the build quality concerns.  I can't imagine any more value possibly being engineered into a building than already is the case at 550.  Calling it a snakebit development would be charitable to NVR.  

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, formerly commoner said:

There way more than the approach that leaves much to be desired - and I wouldn't be surprised if NWR is purposefully under-reporting the number of units available.  Look at Uptown 550 at night time.  It's not 75% full.  Furthermore, evictions are back, and there are serious arrearages.  The sheriff's office is there, regularly.  Not to mention the build quality concerns.  I can't imagine any more value possibly being engineered into a building than already is the case at 550.  Calling it a snakebit development would be charitable to NVR.  

Do you believe their West Trade project to be of higher quality than Uptown 550?

On 10/21/2020 at 9:36 PM, Robbie Charlotte said:

Do you believe their West Trade project to be of higher quality than Uptown 550?

No way to know, but they look very similar.  On the one hand, maybe they learned some lessons (maybe they can prevent water infiltration of apartments, maybe the trash chute fire suppression system isn't going to flood several floors, maybe they can actually maintain more than one working elevator for the tower portion simultaneously).  But, "fool me once..." seems right, to me.

• Thanks 2

On 10/21/2020 at 11:09 AM, RANYC said:

NWR?  And why do you say that?

FYI, NWR just bought the Metropolitan Midtown. I don't think they will be redeveloping anything, but they are due for new projects in the development cycle. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2020/10/28/northwood-investors-metropolitan-charlotte.html

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blue_Devil said:

FYI, NWR just bought the Metropolitan Midtown. I don't think they will be redeveloping anything, but they are due for new projects in the development cycle. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2020/10/28/northwood-investors-metropolitan-charlotte.html

they could start an apartment tower on the vacant lot by the Traders Joes as was planned many years ago by you guess it Levine.  would make a great tower location due its views build a podium style with parking first couple of floors to elevate over power lines then tower on top. 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Rufus said:

Please tell me there will be windows on this side. If not...whoever approved this needs to be fired. 

Yes, there will be windows.  If you look at earlier pictures you can see where the windows are.   They'll cut the housewrap where the windows are later, it's just easier to wrap the whole wall first. 

Edited by jtmonk
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

they could start an apartment tower on the vacant lot by the Traders Joes as was planned many years ago by you guess it Levine.  would make a great tower location due its views build a podium style with parking first couple of floors to elevate over power lines then tower on top. 

My Guess is that is what they are going to do on that 1.3 acre piece. Probably in the same height range as 500

• Like 1