Eastland Mall Redevelopment

DigitalSky

Does anyone know when the most recently-added national tenants came to the mall? American Eagle Outfitters and Hibbett Sports looked pretty new. Either (i) the real estate people in those companies think that Eastland will maintain enough business over the minimum timeframes of those leases to make them worthwhile or (ii) the real estate people have no clue about possibly departing anchors. I'd say it's (i). I went to Eastland expecting to see a dying mall but it appeared decently thriving- at least until today's news!

well this should certainly do wonders for Christmas sales!!

By the way, I take it they haven't installed metal detectors at the mall entrances yet? Perhaps a less drastic step would be to install "No Weapons" signs at each entrance, although I'm not sure many of its patrons would be able to read them.

Edited by SmellyCat

Does anyone know when the most recently-added national tenants came to the mall? American Eagle Outfitters and Hibbett Sports looked pretty new. Either (i) the real estate people in those companies think that Eastland will maintain enough business over the minimum timeframes of those leases to make them worthwhile or (ii) the real estate people have no clue about possibly departing anchors. I'd say it's (i). I went to Eastland expecting to see a dying mall but it appeared decently thriving- at least until today's news!

Hibbett Sports is new and it's pretty big. There used to be an Eckerd in its space. American Eagle Outfitters, unless they recently moved, is still rocking the late '90s prototype. It's a good looking store, but it seems a little slow business-wise.

I'm with you. Eastland doesn't deserve to die.

I used to visit Eastland once in a while when I lived on that side of town. But metal detectors or "no weapons" signs might have been the final straw for me. It's kind of like when you see burglar bars on the windows of people's homes. There's no denying you're in the 'hood . :unsure::ph34r:

Edited by MZT

^ That is a valid point, cantnot. Most of what happend at Eastland in the past has been somwhat tame by comparasin.

When that lady got fondled and those people started shooting in the parking lot at SouthPark last year, I got concerned, but I never once thought about not going. Same with Eastland. It'd be the same with Northlake and Carolina Place as well.

If there's something there I need, I'm gonna go. I'm going to be aware of my surroundings at all times (I'm no fool), but I refuse to live in fear.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/13276857.htm

Shots were fired inside Eastland Mall! Yikes.

That CAN'T be good....definitely one of the last nails in the coffin.

When that lady got fondled and those people started shooting in the parking lot at SouthPark last year, I got concerned, but I never once thought about not going. Same with Eastland. It'd be the same with Northlake and Carolina Place as well.

Sadly, that's not how most people are going to think about it. You look at the incidents, then you look at the demographics, and, well.....

I've shopped at Eastland Mall (picked up a shirt at the Limited, a card from Hallmark, things like that). I have never felt scared or uncomfortable. I would go back and plan to go there this weekend purposely to support the businesses that are owned by some good hardworking people. My spouse goes to the barbershop there to get his hair cut every week. When we moved here he wasn't sure he'd be able to get a proper line up, etc in Charlotte (his NY bias was showing) and the shop actually ended up being a good place for him to meet people and learn about the area. The owner and many of the salon staff are home owners, parents, and really decent people. I really feel bad for how this might affect their business during the holidays.

I also feel bad for all the clerks (many of whom are high school and college students) trying to earn a living under these stressful circumstances. My last visit in the mall, I was well taken care of by these very kind young sistas who were extremely attentive and courteous and helpful. When I heard this story my thoughts immediately went out to these girls who don't deserve to be intimidated when trying to work. This incident makes it hard for most of the people (like me) who obviously manage to conduct their business and shop peacefully during the year 2005. Unfortunately when a select few act out, it makes it difficult for the majority to feel safe. Most of the kids I witness at Eastland seem to be out to have a good time, buy a few cds, a pair of sneakers and flirt with the opposite sex. Its unfortunate that what should be a nice social environment for them is being marred in this way.

Most of the kids I witness at Eastland seem to be out to have a good time, buy a few cds, a pair of sneakers and flirt with the opposite sex. Its unfortunate that what should be a nice social environment for them is being marred in this way.

A lot of people would suggest that the very teenage social aspect you mention was part of the reason for the downfall of Eastland and other similar centers. It seems that many of the 1970s malls that were built with facilities like internal skating rinks, arcades, and theaters to encourage loitering teenagers (Carolina Circle in Greensboro, Landover near Washington DC, and Fashion Island near San Francisco come to mind, among others) are the ones that ultimately developed problems. Other malls in these same areas which didn't cater so much to kids ended up doing OK over the long haul.

Obviously, changing demographics and neglect are major factors as well, but the fact remains that lots of teenagers hanging around (no matter what ethnicity or style of dress) tends to put off adult shoppers with money. It's why many malls in California stopped staying open on Saturday nights; there were nothing but kids there anyway, and they weren't spending any money. The new generation of entertainment-based centers with a detached theatre surrounded by restaurants, works a lot better, because the "hanging out" area is somewhat segregated from the "selling stuff" area.

For better or worse, a mall's main purpose is to sell goods and services, not to be a social environment for kids or anyone else. Although some limited level of social amenities may lead to increased sales, overdoing it can backfire.

For better or worse, a mall's main purpose is to sell goods and services, not to be a social environment for kids or anyone else. Although some limited level of social amenities may lead to increased sales, overdoing it can backfire.
You are absolutely right. The mall does end up being a social environment, a place where young people go to hang out & meet other young people, when it's supposed to be a place for the buying consumer. Yet many kids are consumers, they are a huge market and they do spend. I think the problem comes when the scale tips and the mall goes from being a place where everyone including teens/young adults can meet up with each other and shop to being a place where roving bands of teens/young adults do everything else but shop.

I have noticed that Eastland seems to be a hang out spot. I've often wondered where teens and young adults go to interact with each other outside of places like this mall. I believe it to be an alternative for them because its free, its enclosed, it's centralized, and it has food/drink. It sort of seems like a natural attraction for groups of young people in a place like Charlotte. But when you have people with disputes meeting up in same place as the typical shopper it doesn't bode well for the majority who are just trying to have a good time while shopping or browsing.

My wife goes to Eastland quite often, and will probably continue to do so, because it is often the only mall that still has her size.

I don't know if that is because she is the opposite size of the Eastland demographic, so her size is often still in stock, or if it is because she is the same size as Eastland's demographic, so they stock more, or if they just don't sell much, so everything is in stock more.

But when we shop at SouthPark and the others, it always seems like don't have her size.

As long as Eastland is the only place she can get what she wants, my wife would probably walk through a riot to get there :).

I caught the channel 36 news at 6pm and it looks as if the roadcrew did go to Eastland. But they hid downstairs in the Ice Skating ring. haha. Well except for barbie opps I mean Bobby Sisk and Sonya Gantt who talked about the Capri theatre which is located several miles from there.

There must have been a sweep performed as there was almost no one shopping in the background.

They will finish up in Birkdale tomorrow evening. I might go over there and have a look. haha

Edited by metro.m

Not surprising no one was there.. i wonder if it was awkward for WCNC to be there

I don't know. Since their primary stories on the mall were down in the skating rink (which is really separated from the mall, you can't go in there unless you pay) and on a movie theatre that isn't even at the mall, I would say they were not really at Eastland. It was window dressing on a bad situation that the TV station does not want to tackle. Channel 36 really isn't known for diving deep into issues that are difficult for the city. They would rather show their anchors bobbing for apples at the local dog & pony show.

Maybe they did a better job earlier, but who can endure the 2 straight hours of nonsense they call the local news in the afternoon?

Edited by metro.m

When did Eastland start to go downhill? I remember visiting the mall in the early 1990s (going there instead of SouthPark even) and it seemed fine. Then when I went there for the first time in over 10 years this spring, I was really disturbed by the scary clientele and the mall's somewhat dated appearance. Did the area around Eastland just go downhill in the late 1990s?

Charlotte has more than its share of scary, run-down malls; Eastland is just one of several. I'm surprised that any of them have lasted as long as they have.

Although I've only been in Charlotte since 2002, I know friends that rented a house off Sharon Amity in the mid 90s. They left because the neighborhood was getting rougher, trash, grafitti, unkept yards, cars with thumping bass, etc.

I'd say by 1997 the east side "slide" was well underway.

Edited by MZT