Downtown Durham Development Map

yfreemark

On 5/5/2022 at 6:09 PM, MidTenn1 said:

I used to visit Raleigh-Durham quite often when my daughter lived there, so I still have an interest in the boom that is to occur soon in these cities.

From the Craig Davis website, a couple of slides I made of the Durham Center II project.

1335633547_DurhamC.thumb.jpg.6f96020d9b1593c1f5801899d72247b8.jpg

1978464227_DurhamC2.thumb.jpg.6730817a4532c199d2ff7f20202e0d86.jpg

Just bumping up to this page......:tw_cookie:

Refer to previous Page 8 for related comments.

Edited by MidTenn1

On 5/10/2022 at 2:04 PM, SydneyCarton said:

I’m worried that the design of the new tower could be a mess.  Anyway, it seems that it will replace this parking deck.

74639778-C1A9-4148-90CE-8A426B4E7835.jpeg

It will only replace (or at least substantially refresh) the left half of the parking deck. but still a game changer for that block.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/31/2022 at 10:45 PM, Phillydog said:

More info on new towers in downtown Durham.  1st tower u/c now.  The Y towrt starts this fall.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/article258887873.html#subtopper

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/article258293333.html

When will the Y be demolished?

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

When will the Y be demolished?

Probably gonna be a good while still. When the project was originally announced they said construction would start “no earlier than October”. Guessing it will really get underway in early 2023. 

The next few years are going to be absolutely nuts downtown with 3 25+ story buildings going up on consecutive blocks and the ATC expansion soon to be underway.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Durham_Transplant said:

Bunch of us are watching the McDonald’s site next to the Y as well. They demolished it 8 months ago and nothing has happened since. Possible that ends up being a new project. If they planned to simply build a new restaurant then I assume they would have done that by now.

I didn't notice that the McD's was demolished.  That's a big site.    The huge tire center next to the DCRI is also a prime site -- same with the bakery and parking lot between Main St and Chapel Hill St.  I’d like to see it purchased by the city and developer into a plaza like Sundance Square in Fort Worth or Rockefeller Center.

BC8DB605-A0EE-472E-BCDF-6BAF275C9362.jpeg

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 2

On 6/3/2022 at 10:48 AM, Durham_Transplant said:

Probably gonna be a good while still. When the project was originally announced they said construction would start “no earlier than October”. Guessing it will really get underway in early 2023. 

The next few years are going to be absolutely nuts downtown with 3 25+ story buildings going up on consecutive blocks and the ATC expansion soon to be underway.

There will be a lot of political/racial headwinds building though in Durham.  The key to Durham's evolution and growth, IMHO, has to be a coalition of multi-racial pro-growth, pro-change leaders.  I don't see it yet but it could be powerful if it ever happened.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Durham_Transplant said:

Wasn’t sure where that news fit best so I posted it in the RTP/biotech cluster thread as well. Major news and a really significant new player coming to the market. The pipeline of major projects in downtown Durham right now is wild:

—Novus residential tower (followed by future phase 2)

—ATC expansion

—Durham Center II residential tower

—YMCA site mixed use two building project

—GeerHouse two building residential project

—Next Durham ID building

—Mixed use redevelopment at the old police HQ site (505 W Chapel Hill)

—Possible project on former McDonald’s site?

Then major mixed use projects at this site and Northgate to anchor the neighborhoods north and south of downtown.

It just too bad it's Durham.  The political atmosphere here is toxic for developers.  Northgate should have started 2 years ago.  The project South of the 147 is is middle of Hayti, the political and racial activists will kill that project.

I'd like be wrong, but have lived there long enough to know that Durham's growth is resented by locals and like everything in Durham, racially charged.  

I hope I'm wrong because these are great projects that could help a lot of people rise out of poverty and 8ncrease the inventory of affordable housing.

Edited by Phillydog
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

well now Downtown Durham has the highest parking rates of any city in NC and this is probably not very good for restaurant workers etc.   Why wasn't this raised over time and not all at once?

https://indyweek.com/news/durham/downtown-durham-parking-rates-increase-significantly/

and yes this is far higher than Charlotte for example which only has on street parking at meters no publicly owned  garages downtown

Edited by KJHburg
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...