World Cities

benjamin

I know this is sortof similar to some other topics on here but I was wondering what would you guys say are the "world cities" of the US. I'm talking about cities that will be recognized by most people in the world. I will give it a shot but im really not positive.

New York City

L.A.

Chicago

San Francisco

Maybe Miami (seems to get a lot of international attention)

Boston

That might be it but then again I might be unerestimating other cities that would also fit this description. Thoughts?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it depends what region of the world or what world industry you ask, nations that make much of their income by the sea would know about Tampa and Savannah and New Orleans maybe even more then they know about Chicago (all major International cargo shipping centers).

Overall though I think Seattle with its tech, St. Louis only because almost everyone has seen its arch, and surprisingly Dallas because of the long running soap that amazingly enough is played heavily in some nations. It is interesting that in some areas of the world they think of Miami with reruns of MiamiVice and think of Dallas as a bunch of rich oil families fueding with belt buckles and 8 gallon hats. TV our most hardworking ambassador. :P

As much as I think Houston and Seattle are probably well known, I do not think they are known bythe amount that know of NYC LA and Chicago. You might be able to say that there are certain subcategories of world cities. For example

NYC

L.A.

Chicago

Washington D.C.

San Francisco

Boston

Miami

Dallas

Houston

Detroit

Seattle

Atlanta

Something like that.

hmm interesting on the Orlando thing, I think if you talk about knowing the "city" Orlando doesn't make it (most just take the 408 or 528 straight to Disney or Universal/I-drive) but I would imagine many around the world would know of Orlando the destination--know what it's famous for.

I would agree that orlando the city isn't really the reason why people flood Orlando International Airport, but until it becomes Airport Disney I still think the Orlando name is widely recognized (for what remains a question). Ask anyone in the world about Orlando and they will probably say Mickey or Disney, true thats not the CITY of Orlando but worldwide people would recognize it IMHO.

If you'd ask anyone here to mention four cities that they first think of in the U.S they would probarly say:

New york city

Washington DC

Los angeles

San francisco og maybe Chicago

Miami is well-known because it is a popular vacation destination. Dallas might also be remembered because of the TV-series! haha

Living in New Zealand (Which most people consider to be the end of the world :o )

I would say that the most talked about and known about cities would be in this order

Los Angeles

San Francisco

New York

Miami

Chicago

- Los Angeles and San Francisco would top the list because they are the only major US cities which have direct flights to New Zealand, and hence are heavily advertised as easy places to travel to.

I know this is not exactly the order for most countries, but New Zealand's isolation creates some odd views on the rest of the world ;)

• 8 months later...

Okay, this is the opinion of somebody who is not from the U.S. and have been living here just for the last three years. It really depends on the education of the person that you ask to, but in general terms I would say New York and Washington D.C. Then there are people that would say Hollywood, Los Angeles (many people doesn't really know if Hollywood is a different city or if it is in L.A.), Las Vegas, San Francisco and Chicago. There would be a third tier with cities like New Orleans, Miami, San Francisco and Boston. Overall, I am sure that at least Europeans know more Northamerican cities than most Northamericans know cities outside of their own State. It's surprising but it seems like lots of people here think that the only cities in Europe are Paris, Venice and... oh yes! that place where the bulls run after the people...

Curiously Los Angeles, Chicago and Washington are not regarded from France as cultural cities, the image of Hollywood dominates for Los Angeles, the skyscrapers for Chicago and the capital title for Washington.

There is a historical attachment for New Orleans.

Orlando and Miami attract for there amusement parks and beaches.

New England has a good reputation but honestly, only one city is really known there : Boston.

Honolulu can be mentionned if one evokes Hawaii. In fact the renown of the state can be important : Florida, Hawaii, California suggest LA, SF and San Diego, Louisiana for New Orleans. But who can say that Chicago is situated in Illinois and Las Vegas in Nevada...

From France the 10 main US cities would be :

New York

San Francisco

Los Angeles

New Orleans

Chicago

Washington

Las Vegas

Dallas

Miami

Boston

Functional specializations of American cities can be divided in 4 tiers, each of wich can be divided in sub-tiers.

Tier 1

• Dominant world city : New York

• Major world cities : LA, Chicago, Washington D.C.

• Secondary world cities : San Francisco, Houston, Miami

Tier 2

• Nodal center : Seattle, Portland, Dencer, Phoenix, Minneapolis-St. Paul, Kansas City, St. Louis, Dallas, New Orleans, Indianapolis, Columbus, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Atlanta, Baltimore, Philadelphia, Boston

• Regional nodal center : Spokane,WA; Salt Lake City,UT; Omaha, Nebraska; Oklahoma City,OK; Shreveport, LA; Des Moines, Iowa; Little Rock, Arkansas; Memphis, TN; Jackson, Mississippi; Mobile, Alabama; Jacksonville, Florida; Nashville, Tennessee; Milwaukee, Wisconsin; Richmond, Virginia; Syracuse, NY

(I don't know some of the state abbreviations)

Tier 3

These include "Functional nodal centers ", there are a lot of these, some examples are: Wichita, Kansas; Louisville, KY; Tusla, Oklahoma; Peoria, IL; Greensboro, NC; Chattanooga, Tennessee;

and these also include the "Government/ Education centers ", there are a lot of these aswell. Some examples are: Sacramento, CA; Fresno, CA; Austin,TX; Baton Rouge, LA; Madison, Wisconsin; Columbia, SC; Raleigh-Durham, NC; and Lakeland, Florida

Tier 4

Resort/ retirement/ residential centers: Las Vegas, NV; Riverside, CA; Albuquerque, NM; Orlando, Florida; Tampa, Florida; West Palm Beach, Florida; Ft. Lauderdale, Florida; Virginia Beach, VA;

Manufacturing center : A lot of cities in the former "Manufacturing Belt" in the Northeastern United States.

Industrial/ military center: San Diego, CA; Vallejo, CA; Colorado Springs, CO; Pensacola, Florida; Norfolk, VA; San Antionio, TX; and a few more

Mining/ industrial centers : There are cities like these in Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Tennessee, and California

Functional specializations of American cities can be divided in 4 tiers, each of wich can be divided in sub-tiers.

Tier 1

• Dominant world city : New York

• Major world cities : LA, Chicago, Washington D.C.

• Secondary world cities : San Francisco, Houston, Miami

Tier 2

• Nodal center : Seattle, Portland, Dencer, Phoenix, Minneapolis-St. Paul, Kansas City, St. Louis, Dallas, New Orleans, Indianapolis, Columbus, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Atlanta, Baltimore, Philadelphia, Boston

• Regional nodal center : Spokane,WA; Salt Lake City,UT; Omaha, Nebraska; Oklahoma City,OK; Shreveport, LA; Des Moines, Iowa; Little Rock, Arkansas; Memphis, TN; Jackson, Mississippi; Mobile, Alabama; Jacksonville, Florida; Nashville, Tennessee; Milwaukee, Wisconsin; Richmond, Virginia; Syracuse, NY

(I don't know some of the state abbreviations)

Tier 3

These include "Functional nodal centers ", there are a lot of these, some examples are: Wichita, Kansas; Louisville, KY; Tusla, Oklahoma; Peoria, IL; Greensboro, NC; Chattanooga, Tennessee;

and these also include the "Government/ Education centers ", there are a lot of these aswell. Some examples are: Sacramento, CA; Fresno, CA; Austin,TX; Baton Rouge, LA; Madison, Wisconsin; Columbia, SC; Raleigh-Durham, NC; and Lakeland, Florida

Tier 4

Resort/ retirement/ residential centers: Las Vegas, NV; Riverside, CA; Albuquerque, NM; Orlando, Florida; Tampa, Florida; West Palm Beach, Florida; Ft. Lauderdale, Florida; Virginia Beach, VA;

Manufacturing center : A lot of cities in the former "Manufacturing Belt" in the Northeastern United States.

Industrial/ military center: San Diego, CA; Vallejo, CA; Colorado Springs, CO; Pensacola, Florida; Norfolk, VA; San Antionio, TX; and a few more

Mining/ industrial centers : There are cities like these in Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Tennessee, and California

Charlotte and San Jose need to be on there somewhere........ (tier 2) Because you have Portland, Denver, Seattle, Boston and Baltimore which are all close to Charlotte and smaller than San Jose. Then you have New Orleans, Cleveland, Cincinatti, Kansas City, and St. Louis which are all smaller than both cities..... (I don't know if you missed it or not)

I like how you included a lot of cities!! ( I didn't expect you to get all of 'em)

:D

Charlotte and San Jose need to be on there somewhere........ (tier 2) Because you have Portland, Denver, Seattle, Boston and Baltimore which are all close to Charlotte and smaller than San Jose. Then you have New Orleans, Cleveland, Cincinatti, Kansas City, and St. Louis which are all smaller than both cities..... (I don't know if you missed it or not)

I like how you included a lot of cities!! ( I didn't expect you to get all of 'em)

:D

I think San Jose isn't really a regional center or node because S.F. also bears that function as a (much bigger) world city.

It is, however, a military/ industrial center.

And Charlotte could be a nodal center aswell, I guess, since it is quite a large city!

Archived