I would have to say...

* = they might could move up.....

Main

NYC (everything)

San Fransisco (passage for Asians)

Miami (passage for Latinos)

Secondary

*Washington D.C. (the capital)

*L.A. (argue if you want :D, just something about it....)

*Chicago

Atlanta

Philly

Boston

And Last (a)

Houston

Detroit

Pheonix

And Last (b)

*Dallas

San Diego

Jacksonville

Columbus

Austin

Baltimore

Memphis

Seattle

Denver

Nashville

Charlotte

Indianapolis

Portland

*New Orleans

*Las Vegas

Minneapolis

Honolulu

Pittsburgh

Er... Maybe...?

*Milwaukee

*Cincinnati

*Raleigh

*Tampa

*Kansas City

*Oklohoma City

*Sacremento

*Oakland

*Cleveland

**Please post if you disagree....**

:D:D

• 3 months later...

I'm amazed that no one here has brought up the GaWC Inventory of World Cities study...

Here's a Link.

According to this comprehensive study the top ranked cities in the United States are as follows:

Alpha World Cities

a) New York

b) Chicago, Los Angeles

Beta World Cities

a) San Francisco

b) n/a

c) n/a

Gamma World Cities

a) Boston, Dallas, Houston, Washington

b) n/a

c) Atlanta, Miami, Minneapolis

Evidence of World City formation

Philadelphia, Cleveland, Detroit, Seattle, Baltimore, Columbus, Kansas City

Forgive me if I missed any cited cities.

Here is a post I provided in the Tiers of US Cities Thread a while back.

This is another means of measuring how international cities are. It's from a report provided by the Brookings Institution.

I have learned to put a little more stock in these rankings(PDF file) by the Brookings Institute. This ranking chart is going to blow some of you away. Quite a few surpirses, but they have the research to back it up.

Basically what these rankings cover is the most internationally connected cities. It goes by the international presence of a city's accounting, advertising, banking/finance, insurance, law and management consulting firms.

By their rankings, here are the most important US cities. Not only do they rank their importance, but they also classify it into tiers, or strata.

Strata I

1. New York

Strata II

2. Chicago

3. Los Angeles

Strata III

4. San Francisco

5. Miami

6. Atlanta

7. Washington DC

Strata IV

8. Boston

9. Dallas

10. Houston

11. Seattle

Strata V

12. Denver

13. Philadelphia

14. Minneapolis

15. St. Louis

16. Detroit

Strata VI

17. San Diego

18. Portland

19. Charlotte

20. Cleveland

21. Indianapolis

22. Kansas City

23. Pittsburgh

Strata VII

24. Baltimore

25. Phoenix

26. Cincinnati

27. Tampa

28. San Jose

29. Rochester

Strata VIII

30. Palo Alto

31. Hartford

32. Richmond

33. Buffalo

34. Honolulu

Strata IX

35. Las Vegas

36. New Orleans

37. Sacramento

38. Omaha

Strata X

39. Wilmington, DE

------All other cities Strata X

But in the end, ranking cities by levels of international importance seems to be a more subjective thing, especially when you can consider all of the possible categories you can rank them by.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay here's my list in this order:

First Tier:

NYC

LA

Washington D.C. (capital)

Chicago

Second Tier:

Boston

San Francisco

Third Tier:

Miami (I love this city I live in its metro and one day maybe but right now it needs ALOT of work, I mean

ALOT!, also its gmp kinda surprised me because its not very big compared to other metros)

Atlanta

Houston

Seattle

Dallas

I also think alot of people are underestimating Boston. I know its in NYC's shadow somewhat but this city with San Francisco are the two closest other cities to world cit status by far. Boston's GMP is 4th behind NYC, LA, and Chicago (although San Francisco's might be higher b/c they split up the metro, but Providence, which is the same distance as San Jose is from SF, isnt included in Boston's GMP so I dont now.) I just got back from Boston and I haven't been to another city with such an educated, young, vibrant population. Boston is really the center of U.S. biotech, which will be cemented when Harvard completes its new bio-tech campus in Allston. I also think that it depends if you're in Asia or Europe which cities are more well known as east coast cities might be more well known in Europe and West Coast in Asia. Also to put Orlando on this list is ridiculous, its not a world city but rather it is near a world attraction.

As for me i'd say:

NYC - I mean c'mon its known by default ;) Fetuses probably recognize it from conception

LA - Hollywood, etc

San Francisco

Washington DC - The capital of the worlds super power

Chicago

Seattle - starbucks, microsoft, etc

Miami

Boston

Honolulu - pearl harbor, surfing, hawaii 5-0, Lost, Magnum PI, military, etc

Las Vegas

New Orleans

hmmm id like to say Orlando but how much of its tourists are international? in my opinion i still think that when people outside the US think of Disney they probably think of Disney land first versus Disney world? What do you folks think?

*i really dont think size matters when it comes to recognition of a US city to the outside world, places that attract a lot of international travellers (for business or pleasure), immigrants, corporations, film, etc and are marketed heavily in the global market would probably support this idea in my opinion.

i think the significant gainers of noticeability on the international scale are probably:

Atlanta & Houston

• 1 month later...

Depending on where you're talking about internationallly, Miami could top the list. If you're talking about Central and South America, there's no doubt - Miami is a dream destination for the entire continent, just like CA was to Asia and NYC was to Europe during the major influx of each respective population to America over the course of the last century.

Universally, cities like NYC, Chicago, LA, Boston and DC are at the top. But to Central and South America, Miami would probably come to mind before Chicago, Boston, LA, or DC.

IMO, the following is how US cities would rank in terms of importance with Tier I - Tier II (A) being "world cities" while the others are important on a regional scale.

Tier I (A)

New York

Tier I (B)

Chicago

Los Angeles

Tier II (A)

Washington DC

San Francisco

Miami

Tier II (B)

Boston

Atlanta

Dallas

Houston

Tier III (A)

Seattle

Philadelphia

Detroit

Tier III (B)

Denver

Minneapolis

St. Louis

Tier IV (A)

New Orleans

Cleveland

Pittsburgh

San Diego

Tier IV (B)

Portland

Charlotte

Indianapolis

Kansas City

Las Vegas

1:Sydney

2:Brisbane

3:Perth

4.Singapore

5.Adelaide

I don't get this list .... Why is Singapore on it along with 4 australian cities? where's melbourne? are you trying to quiz us or something?

I might as well edit this and put in my own list... in order of cultural significance

- New York

- Washington (don't you think some people care more about the most powerful city on Earth than...)

- Los Angeles

- Chicago

- Las Vegas

- New Orleans

- Boston

- San Fransisco

- Philadelphia

- Miami

- Detroit

- Seattle

- St Louis

- Atlanta (mostly for the olympics, and CNN)

- Salt Lake City (olympics)

- Houston

- Dallas

- Crawford, TX (i guess)

Why is cleveland on so many people's lists? Other than the Rock n Roll hall of fame, which I suspect even less people worldwide care about than in the USA, what does it have that's culturally significant to someone in another country (canada doesn't count)?

IMO, the following is how US cities would rank in terms of importance with Tier I - Tier II (A) being "world cities" while the others are important on a regional scale.

Tier I (A)

New York

Tier I (B)

Chicago

Los Angeles

Tier II (A)

Washington DC

San Francisco

Miami

Tier II (B)

Boston

Atlanta

Dallas

Houston

Tier III (A)

Seattle

Philadelphia

Detroit

Tier III (B)

Denver

Minneapolis

St. Louis

Tier IV (A)

New Orleans

Cleveland

Pittsburgh

San Diego

Tier IV (B)

Portland

Charlotte

Indianapolis

Kansas City

Las Vegas

I would place DC in the Tier I (B) category.

Tier I (A)

New York

Tier I (B)

Chicago

Los Angeles

Tier II (A)

Washington DC

San Francisco

Miami

Tier II (B)

Boston

Atlanta

Dallas

Houston

Tier III (A)

Seattle

Philadelphia

Detroit

Tier III (B)

Denver

Minneapolis

St. Louis

Tier IV (A)

New Orleans

Cleveland

Pittsburgh

San Diego

Tier IV (B)

Portland

Charlotte

Indianapolis

Kansas City

Las Vegas

Philadelphia should be Teir II-A. It is a very important city of yesterday and today. Boston,New York, Philadelphia, and Washington D.C were the most crucial cities for the foundation of our nation and any "American" foreign studies will teach this and would be recognized worldwide

I agree.

Earth's most important cities in terms of business, politics and culture:

London

New York

Tokyo

Hong Kong

Washington D.C.

Paris

Chicago

Sydney

Milan

Singapore

Moscow

Toronto

Los Angeles

Seoul

San Francisco

Miami (???)

That's a whole 'nother thread.... I'd add a few to that list myself

Montreal

Shanghai

Beijing

Berlin

Rio

Brussels

As for me i'd say:

NYC - I mean c'mon its known by default ;) Fetuses probably recognize it from conception

LA - Hollywood, etc

San Francisco

Washington DC - The capital of the worlds super power

Chicago

Seattle - starbucks, microsoft, etc

Miami

Boston

Honolulu - pearl harbor, surfing, hawaii 5-0, Lost, Magnum PI, military, etc

Las Vegas

New Orleans

hmmm id like to say Orlando but how much of its tourists are international? in my opinion i still think that when people outside the US think of Disney they probably think of Disney land first versus Disney world? What do you folks think?

*i really dont think size matters when it comes to recognition of a US city to the outside world, places that attract a lot of international travellers (for business or pleasure), immigrants, corporations, film, etc and are marketed heavily in the global market would probably support this idea in my opinion.

i think the significant gainers of noticeability on the international scale are probably:

Atlanta & Houston

Not bad but Atlanta and Houston have both long since been internationally recognized. Houston in my mind most notably for the space program. And though Houston is a little bigger in metro size, I would place Atlanta a little ahead of them in recognition. Atlanta even had the 1996 Summer Olympics. A lot of Atlanta's recognition comes from the world-class airport with a large number international flights. I've flown out of the biggies including O'hare and Atlanta is still much nicer (especially cleaner), significantly busier (at least when I was in both) and more modern.

And I doubt seriously that Seattle has more recognition than either city. New Orleans is probably in everyone's mind right now because of Katrina. Honolulu? Hmmm....I guess it could be just based on its location and tourist destination. Plus the name is so unique. Sort of like I've found people in other states who while discussing trips we have taken, know where Chattanooga is but couldn't tell you where Charlotte is. Relatives in Illinois are that way.

And as far as Disneyworld. People around the world know about Disnesworld but my guess would be they decide to take a trip there but they have to get a map to see where it is and go "Oh, it's in Orlando, Florida".

Hey come on. Shouldn't Minneapolis be a bit higher? I mean.. geeze.. we gave you scotch tape and post-it notes.. not to mention the Pilsbury dough boy and lots of the cereal you eat.

How about Rochester, MN? World leaders are flown there for life saving surgeries.

Hey come on. Shouldn't Minneapolis be a bit higher? I mean.. geeze.. we gave you scotch tape and post-it notes.. not to mention the Pilsbury dough boy and lots of the cereal you eat.

For some reason I always thought post it notes were first made in CT.... I guess I was wrong (checked the wikipedia).

Maybe Minneapolis is a great city, but I can tell you that over on this side of the country (New England) you guys are considered "small time"; even if that label isn't true that's what it is thought of as. This is a very big region for sports, and you guys almost lost the Twins. The only business I could normally name from Minnesota is Target, and while I don't consider myself a know it all, I think of myself as better educated about what's going on in the world than the average guy. People perceive that city as remote and cold. It's hard for me to think of anything that Minneapolis has done that trancends the nation's culture in the way that other second tier cities like Boston, Philadelphia, New Orleans, Detroit, and Seattle have.

Archived