• Jacksonville
    • Nasvhille
    • Louisville
    • Charlotte
    • Raleigh
    • Richmond
    • Lexington
    • Knoxville

tHE MODIS and the BOA. building is over 100 ft shorter then the bellsouth so GO Nashville.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nashville:

Bellsouth - 617 ft 33 floors

Jacksonville:

BOA - 617 ft 43 floors

Modis - 535 ft 37 floors

The Modis is 82 feet shorter and the BOA is of equal hight and requires no spire to do so. Yet as Lakelander pointed out, the RiverPointe buildings will be 133 feet taller than the Bellsouth building each.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never seen those RiverPointe buildings. There pretty neat. However, unlike the Bellsouth Building, their spires aren't part of the actual design. They're just there. I say we just call this a tie. All right?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What do you mean 'not part of the actual design. They're just there.'?

Signature will match Riverfront. With the extra building Jax will gain more depth. They will be very close. BTW, there a pic including both on the last page. It still dosnt have as much depth currently. I nasvhille there are more than 9 projects. There was a post that shows all our projects and there are more than Jax.

Signature will match Riverfront. With the extra building Jax will gain more depth. They will be very close. BTW, there a pic including both on the last page. It still dosnt have as much depth currently. I nasvhille there are more than 9 projects. There was a post that shows all our projects and there are more than Jax.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Emporis, though missing 13 Jax projects of 20 stories or higher still has more listed for Jax than Nash and I searched for all the threads containing the Nashville projects and found a few that compiled them all but none came close to the one for Jax.

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2669

I think all our large cities are doing incredible things. No need to list them, they're all doing it. I personally think Nashville, Charlotte and Jacksonville are more immediately poised for greater things, but Birmingham, Memphis, Louisville, the NC metros (and the others, you know who you are) are nipping at our heels.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In terms of skyline, Memphis is nipping at the heels of nobody. In terms of downtown development, I would say many cities are nipping at the heels of Memphis.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I doubt it. There is a post showing construction estimates, for different projects, but its highly unreliable because the costs of several large projects are still unkown at this time. All of Florida's downtowns are growing at a rapid rate that hasn't been seen around here since the booming 20's. Its hard to keep up with, but in downtown alone, not counting what's been completed, there's around 5,000 residential units planned or under construction. That's not even including the urban development taking place in Riverside, Springfield, San Marco & Jax Beach.

As far as Signature goes, it still seems to be in the "pie-in-the-sky" stage. When is it supposed to break ground? The Riverpointe Twins are scheduled to break ground later this year. Anyway a head-to-head list of proposed downtown projects over 20 stories would be interesting comparision. If someone will provide the other city's, I'll provide Jax's.

BTW, Sleepy's right. All of these cities look up to Memphis, when it comes to having a compact and vibrant core.

Its hard to keep up with, but in downtown alone, not counting what's been completed, there's around 5,000 residential units planned or under construction.  That's not even including the urban development taking place in Riverside, Springfield, San Marco & Jax Beach.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Southern US City Building Permits YTD 2004

Nashville-Davidson

Type: Buildings, Units, Construction Cost

Single Family: 3,492 3,492 524,660,380

Two Family: 175 350 38,752,222

Three and Four Family: 1 4 131,652

Five or More Family: 37 814 82,472,716

Total: 3,705 4,660 646,016,970

I think that alone is very telling.

^Outside of the Miami, the number of condo developments going up is on par with any other area in Florida. The main difference is most other Florida cities are heavily reliant on tourism, leading to the development of highrise hotels and resorts, as well. Jax is pretty much a working class "rust belt" city in the South that's just now being discovered by developers down South.

Jacksonville has been this sleeping giant for a long time. Developers looked further downstate and just bypassed us. We were never in the spotlights, no big national media coverage, and other issues. It has finally gotten to the point that it can't be ignored any longer and yes, there is a big condo rage right now. The Intracoastal has some huge condo projects planned as well.

• 2 weeks later...

The data I gave for buildings includes everything proposed in Davidson county, including  Signature which has a construction completion date of 2009.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Permits are not pulled for proposals. The permit is one of the last steps just before groundbreaking. All cost estimates must be finalized by that point. Of course, things can change during construction, but revisions can require repermitting.

• 2 months later...

Charlotte by far has the best medium sized skylin none can compare not nashville not jacksonvill new orleans not richmond nobody we have 12 residential towere all in the 40-50 story range and we are getting many new banking and music industry headquarters sorry but none can compete with the queen city yes charlotte is coming up.charlotte is already this seccond richest city in america and the fastest growing in america.The Queen City has earned her spot as the queen city and lives up to its name Queen City baby .

Archived