• Jacksonville
    • Nasvhille
    • Louisville
    • Charlotte
    • Raleigh
    • Richmond
    • Lexington
    • Knoxville

Ummm...I don't think anyone can deny the fact that Charlotte is growing rapidly, but the "fastest growing in America"? You sure about that? And I really like Charlotte's skyline as well, but you can't say that the skylines of other cities don't compare based on towers that haven't yet been built in Charlotte.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CharlotteQC: We can only compare skylines based on the buildings which currently exist. And, I find your posts to be generally childish.

If we are speaking hypothetically, except for the Bank of America building, Charlotte's skyline is rather unremarkable and its setting in the middle of nowhere with no water feature is uninspired and cant compare with skylines in coastal or river cities.

Punctuation and grammar would be nice. They lend an ounce more credibility to your claims. Of course providing links to would do even more wonders.

The fastest growing mid sized city in America is Las Vegas. Charlotte might be in the top 10.

Emporis.

Charlotte:

54 completed

2 under construction

1 under reconstruction

Jacksonville:

51 completed

7 under construction

1 under reconstruction

look at the first city thats on the list you see charlotte at number 23 right. theres no deniying that charlotte is bigger than these  and look at these towers to be complete by the end of 2006 towers under construction

100 biggest cities

images of the QC

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Again, your 100 biggest cities list is missing Jacksonville at number 12 with about 800,000 people.

While I think Charlotte's is the best on this list, this isn't to say that the others aren't impressive (in other words, in my opinion it's the best, but not "hands down"). I think sometimes we rob expressions, such as "hands down" and "by far," of their power by using them somewhat flippantly as we all have done at one time or another.

All of this is subjective anyway, so in the end, who cares?

Charlotte is not even closely related in size to these cities. This is a bad comparison. Charlotte's metro is over 2 million. (and growing at an extreme rate) I do not call that medium sized.

<_<

I voted for Birmingham. I did not even see the list of cities on the pole. But, to put CLT on the same list. C'mon. ;)

I was a bit taken back, check thoses stats polters.

Memphis:

1.2M

Birmingham:

1.1M

Jacksonville:

1.2+M

Nashville:

1.4M

Louisville:

1.3M

Raleigh:

1.3M

Richmond:

1.1M

Lexington:

Knoxville

CHARLOTTE METRO:

2.1 MILLION

More than a million over some of these cities listed. A couple of the cities mentioned don't even have a million people.

***Keep it in perspective****

Comparible cities:

Charlotte

Portland

Denver

Cleveland

Sacramento

St. Louis

Pittsburg

Tampa

Indiannapolis

THESE ARE ALL METROS BETWEEN 2-3 MILLION

Whoever said that Charlotte, NC could possible compete with Atlanta's skyline must be crazy. Atlanta's skyline is so much bigger. Just Buckhead's skyline is bigger than Charlotte's. There is no way you can compare Charlotte's skyline with Atlanta's. Charlotte's skyline is 30+ years behind Atlanta's. Atlanta has one of the best skylines of any city. The two cities just don't compare in anything. Charlotte's skyline is a joke to Atlanta's  :rofl: .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I dare you to walk ATL's dowtown after midnight. I uses to live there. The city is spread out from here to kingdom come. I agree CLT does not compare at all with ATL. It is half the size for goodness sake, but for livability I would live in dtwn CLT anyday before I would live in the CBD of ATL. You could end up dead or seriously injured. :o That is why ATL has Buckhead....

From Emporis:

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/ci/?id=101310

and

for the Metro Region (which is more acurate than all and comprised of US census figures the CLT Metro Region is al most 2.3 M, that was in 2004 !)

http://www.charlottechamber.com/content.cf...186#Projections

Take the Metro and the Metro Region add them and then divide by 2 and you are still at 2 Million.

A219724:  Charlotte at 2.1 million??  You are dreaming.  Maybe this will be the population in 2015 or 2020., but as of 2002, it was 1.4 million.  See  http://www.proximityone.com/msa03us.htm

I do agree however that downtown ATL is not a very nice place.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here is the reason I do not agree with the 1.5M figure. Notice the area that proximityone is qouting. It is tiny:

http://proximityone.com/images1/msapopchg0003.gif

Look at ATL for example. It is almost the entire north half of GA. No wonder they have 5M people. I think the ATL metro is comprised of over 25 counties! (they are small counties though). Charlotte's metro is a 13 county area. That is why I posted my last link to include the true statistical metro region for Charlotte. (that would really be 2.2-2.4M if you go by the 13 county area. I work in dowtown and 30% of those I work with are from Moorseville(Iredale) or Hickory (Catawba). These areas are not reflected in the 4 or 5 counties that are listed in the link you sent for MSA's. I am shocked that the Lake area is not even included. Some of the wealthiest in Charlotte live in Iredell and they are not counted. Iredell is connected to CLT. Why they do not include it is anybodies guess. ;)

The MSA listed on your own website has only 1.5 million.  Maybe if you could 1/3 of NC and part of SC, then you have 2 million.  Nice try. 

If you counted Jax this way it would include Orlando and we would be about 5 million people.  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is correct it has 1.5 M for this region...

* Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) includes Anson, Cabarrus, Gaston, Mecklenburg and Union Counties in NC and York County in South Carolina.

Look closer and you will see that it is well over 2.2 Million for the Metro Region.

That area would be the 13 counties. Less than 2/3 the land area of current metro Atlanta.

Charlotte has 6.5 million living within a 100 mile radius. The fifth largest Urban Region in the US

DATE CHARLOTTE MECKLENBURG

CHARLOTTE-

GASTONIA CONCORD MSA* METRO REGION**

All we can go by is the MSA number supplied by the census. To use anything else is just to make up numbers. And Jacksonville is not really relevent to that issue, I just was making a joke. I think Charlotte is a little bigger than Jax, but Charlotte is not the population behemoth you imagine. Relax.

Viper:  Good stats. 

It is always tough to argue with facts.  That's why I am sure A219714 will not try it.

Hmm.  I wonder how many people Jax would have if we could just add 700 sq miles of metro area...  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Give me a minute.

If divided up right, almost 200k but by using actual county lines, just over 100k.

If we used Nashvilles boundaries, we'd add another 450k

Give me a minute.

If divided up right, almost 200k but by using actual county lines, just over 100k.

If we used Nashvilles boundaries, we'd add another 450k

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But it's all relative. Nashville is surrounded by some fairly large commercial centers that draw in commuters from further out. If Charlotte and Jacksonville aren't attracting commuters from that kind of distance they shouldn't be measured like that. Nashville's sphere of influence is larger and the commuting patterns reflect this.

Archived