Ugly high-rises

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've seen uglier. But still this Bell South office building fails to rank high on my top architectual prettiness list. In fact, I can easily visualize Disco Balls, Leisure Suits, and elevated platform shoes. Oh let us not forget that shag carpet in the CEO's top floor office suite.

Bellsouth Tower in Birmingham. It is so shockingly nasty that it is impossible to drive by it without laughing.

bellsouthbuildingbirminqy3.jpg

I have seen worse, but I wouldn't call it a terribly graceful building. As for the Smith County Office Building in Tyler, that was built in the late 1950's as the Carlton Hotel. Its days may be numbered, as I understand that it is indeed in poor condition. I doubt that there will be many who wish to save it.

I really LIKE the BOA tower in Atlanta, especially as it sits between better buildings to the south and north. The base, though, is boring and off-putting.

That tower in New Orleans is the most hideous building I have ever seen; tower or not. It looks like a guard tower at a prison. When we went to NO a few years ago, that tower ruined my trip. I couldnt get away from it. It just kept looming there, depressing me. ugh! Katrina should have ruined THAT building, not so many others.

Here's my nominee, the newly completed Viridian condo tower in Nashville, and that's because I don't have a picture of the developer's equally horrible Cumberland. The materials on this thing are totally cheap, and there's almost no architectural design to speak of, just green, plastic-looking windows and balconies strung between unrelieved strips of concrete for 30 stories. Its proximity to the vastly superior L&C is a total shame.

Viridian-20061202-113655.jpg

The building in question looks okey to me. However the structure next door to it is not doing any asthetic favors to the building in question.

Here's my nominee, the newly completed Viridian condo tower in Nashville, and that's because I don't have a picture of the developer's equally horrible Cumberland. The materials on this thing are totally cheap, and there's almost no architectural design to speak of, just green, plastic-looking windows and balconies strung between unrelieved strips of concrete for 30 stories. Its proximity to the vastly superior L&C is a total shame.

Viridian-20061202-113655.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I take back my previous post. I forgot the most obvious candidate. Hands down:

http://www.emporis.com/en/il/im/?id=274712

39 stories of gray concrete and faded "colorful" panels. A huge complex of buildings that, thankfully, was never fully realized back in the 1970's. The original master plan included dozens of structures similar to this one and thousands of apartment units. It looks particularly atrocious after a rainstorm, when the concrete is streaked with dark grays.

Sad, because I know the architect. He's really a nice guy!

I take back my previous post. I forgot the most obvious candidate. Hands down:

http://www.emporis.com/en/il/im/?id=274712

39 stories of gray concrete and faded "colorful" panels. A huge complex of buildings that, thankfully, was never fully realized back in the 1970's. The original master plan included dozens of structures similar to this one and thousands of apartment units. It looks particularly atrocious after a rainstorm, when the concrete is streaked with dark grays.

Sad, because I know the architect. He's really a nice guy!

Try this hella ugly residential highrise in Utrecht, the Netherlands:

u1mq6.jpg

Or this one (this is a part of Utrecht University, where I study):

u2wq5.jpg

IMO, Utrecht has plenty of ugly neighbourhoods. But it has a nice historic city center.

utrechtinfebuary38je7.jpg

edit: pics should work now :)

Yuck! :sick: Those high-rises scream East German Communist Blocks. Very Depressing.

Try this hella ugly residential highrise in Utrecht, the Netherlands:

u1mq6.jpg

Or this one (this is a part of Utrecht University, where I study):

u2wq5.jpg

IMO, Utrecht has plenty of ugly neighbourhoods. But it has a nice historic city center.

utrechtinfebuary38je7.jpg

edit: pics should work now :)

Archived