Ugly high-rises

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ryugyong.jpg

The Ministry of Truth in North Korea. Even if it was completed it would be the ugliest.

This is a hotel, or would have been a hotel. I like it because it's so big and bizarre and apocolyptic...and yes it's ugly. They say the crane will fall and eventually the building will follow. 105 stories I believe.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The picture Zach posted of Plaza Tower in Ann Arbor is indeed a good example of an ugly hirise. Currently they are refacing it, but the new facade isn't very stellar either.

plazaupdate3.jpg

Oh look at the ugly buildings in this photo. It scared city planners so much that new buildings going up in Ann Arbor have gone back to the classical architecture styles.

Good Gravy! The architect behind this must have stoned himself into a Jimmy Hindriks episode on 52 different flavors of weed when he designed this edifice to ugliness. To me it looks like three buildings stacked on top of each other. Please tell me this building is demoed or soon to be!

Seeing buildings like this makes me wonder if architects back in the 60's and 70's had a secret contest going on among themselves to see who could design the uglest building possible. To think that nine out of ten of these ugly rises replaced older buildings that were ten times prettier and for many holding some kind of historical value. That's the price of process I guess.

cambridgedist.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Archived