Is Atlanta the most Important City in the South

thumper

Is Atlanta the most important City in the South. i.e. The Capital of the South?  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Is Atlanta the most important City in the South. i.e. The Capital of the South?

• No
    • Yes

You know, maybe we could look at this agruement from a negtive prespective. Wouldn't everyone agree that ATL has many of the problems that many in a NY, LA, CHI fashion (high crime, pollution, high unemployment, dense traffic, high drug rate, illegal immigration, water concerns)

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Atlanta is the most important city in the old south due to size and commerce, and culturally it is a staple of modern corporate American culture. From Coke to CNN, that's about what makes Atlanta spin.

In my personal opinion, Atlanta epitomizes the south.

Atlanta thinks that its better and bigger then it really is.

Atlanta considers itself the city too busy to hate, but too silly to look at itself and see how things really are overall.

Atlanta is filled with rabid religious fundamentalism outside its few communities within 285.

Atlanta is sprawl to the max, and true urbanity is an unknown to the majority of metro Atlantans.

One phrase: SPAGHETTI BOWL IN A FOREST.

Yep, Atlanta is ALL SOUTH! Big mouth with so much pride in the self they can't think outside the box.

You know, maybe we could look at this agruement from a negtive prespective.  Wouldn't everyone agree that ATL has many of the problems that many in a NY, LA, CHI fashion (high crime, pollution, high unemployment, dense traffic, high drug rate, illegal immigration, water concerns)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, most people don't agree. And the facts don't either.

Atlanta in fact has higher crime rates then New York, has some pretty backwards culture overall (natives outside the south unanimously agree on this, and a significant minority of native southerners such as myself also agree), and is polluted way more then Chicago's air ever has been even with Chicago's industry.

And the sprawl in Atlanta is unreal. So low density and forested that you can't even realize there's supposed to be a city here. The only thing reminding you that you are in a city in Atlanta is the horrible traffic, even if there is a total lack of people traffic unless you go to a suburban mall.

Atlanta in fact has higher crime rates then New York, has some pretty backwards culture overall (natives outside the south unanimously agree on this, and a significant minority of native southerners such as myself also agree), and is polluted way more then Chicago's air ever has been even with Chicago's industry.

And the sprawl in Atlanta is unreal. So low density and forested that you can't even realize there's supposed to be a city here. The only thing reminding you that you are in a city in Atlanta is the horrible traffic, even if there is a total lack of people traffic unless you go to a suburban mall.

What attitudes in ATL do you consider backwards? I could understand this sentiment if it were from a northern perspective, could you provide specifics?

And to counter your agruments, yes smog in ATL is bad, but CHI and NY have two advantages, they are northern cities (smog tends to dissipate more readily on colder areas) and they both have funtional public transit. And are you saying that its a bad thing that ATL sprawl isn't of the 'paved the entire city over' variety?

Also, ATL is any way comparible to NY, CHI, but by having problems that are similiar to these cities has moved it from being group with the likes of a NASH, JAX, or CLT

I am from Georgia--born and raised. Trust me, ATLANTA DOES NOT revolve around Georgia. Atlanta revolves around itself. Even Fulton County does not revolve around Atlanta. Suburban sprawl and the recent move by Sandy Springs to become its own city is proof positive of that. Not to mention the fact that the Buckhead community is ready and willing to join Sandy Springs in the creation of Mitchell County. Cobb, DeKalb, Gwinnett, Fayette, Henry and Clayton County don't make a big stink over Atlanta. I live in Clayton County. I hardly go to Atlanta except to work. Everything that I need is in Clayton County. I'm oftentimes puzzled why people are moving to Atlanta in search of "greener pastures." If Atlanta was not the capital of Georgia, no one would even be discussing it because at the end of the day---Atlanta barely even matters.

Its interesting some of the people making judgements about Atlanta that don't live in the city. I would have agreed with a lot of the comments on my first few visits. Its kind of an unusual city that has a very different appeal from the others.

The only time I've ever heard of Atlanta referred to as Capital of the South was when I didn't live in Atlanta (I moved to Atlanta 3 years ago from DC). The local population does not refer to it that way, but I think people elsewhere must? Before I ever came to Atlanta, it was probably the most recognizable city name in the south due to its Airport (which everything seems to pass through), mass of big companies located here, and the Olympics. If the definition of "Capital" meant recognizability, I think the title could fit.

I'm puzzled by what people are saying about "Atlanta pride". Most of the working population here (that I've been exposed to) came from other cities that they call home. There seems to be a lot of gay pride here (2nd only to SF), but not a lot of city pride. There isn't a lot of local sports following either. I think the people that live here like the city very much, but there is a general sense that there's a lot of work to do. There is also a sense of there being a lot of potential.

Honestly I didn't like Atlanta very much for the first year that I lived here. Atlanta is a city that shows you everything that is bad about it on your first visit. Atlanta is very real and doesn't try to hide anything from you. I moved into a northern suburb only to find out about traffic, strip malls, and sprawl (though not as bad as Northern VA, to be fair).

After that first year, I moved into Midtown and my whole impression of Atlanta changed. Intown Atlanta has an energy and character that I've not seen in any other city. You won't find it until you live here for a little while, and you won't find it in the suburbs which are like a different country. During the last six months I've traveled in San Francisco, New York City, Philadelphia, Charlotte, Minneapolis and my home base of Washington DC. They are all great cities to visit, but I always end up missing the character, contrasts, and energy of Atlanta. If you stay intown, this is a city that gets your creativity flowing like no other (that I've lived in or visited anyway).

Atlanta's sprawl and traffic can be viewed as a good thing, especially for intown developers. The sprawl has reached a critical mass and we're seeing major movement back into the city. The number of residential building projects, gentrified neighborhoods and resources is impressive. People say things move slower in the South, but I've never seen things change so quickly (in the 3 years I've been here). Atlanta's sprawl is its power plant for intown growth. I'm satisfied with the city just how it is, but the movement inwards is definitely interesting.

Here are some places where you will find the character of Atlanta, though don't expect to have it figured out right away. Spend a day each in Midtown, Piedmont Park and Ansley Park, Decatur City, Virginia Highlands, Candler Park and Little 5 Points, Inman Park, Westside Midtown and downtown, Emory area (Druid Hills), Freedom Park, and East Atlanta. Unless you enjoy sprawl, stay away from the suburbs outside the Perimeter except for Dunwoody (it is served by the Marta).

skyscrapers_are_tall.jpg

The question isn't whether Atlanta is a nice place to live of or not. I am certain it is for many people. The negatives comments come from people who don't understand the South, or have some axe to grind against it. I've said many times that people vote with their feet and no one can deny that people are moving to Atlanta in great numbers.

However, the real question of this thread is Atlanta the most important city in the South? So lets stick to that discussion and stop the South bashing, Atlanta bashing, etc. It is easy to fall into that hole in these kind of discussions. This is not directed towards any particular person but if that is your only reason for posting in this thread, then please don't. No one is insterested in that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This comment is actually very surprising and interesting to me. You say that people who aren't from the south think that Atlanta has a backwards culture and that a significant amount of southerners also think so. This is interesting because I have heard over and over again from people that Atlanta is actually considered by Northerners to not be part of the south (I even think this myself). This is probably because a lot of the population of Atlanta is made up of Northerners who moved here for one reason or another, and the second reason is probably because Atlanta doesn't really have the southern culture that cities like Nashville, Charlotte, or Birmingham obviously have. The truth of the matter is that most people actually consider the south to be the area with backwards culture and Atlanta's lack of this actually makes it seem more civilized. Living in Atlanta, I actually feel that most of the people I know in Atlanta hate the south and are ashamed of being part of it. For example I feel like Atlanta as a living place is not much different than most non-southern cities. But when I drive a little outside the city (which rarely happens because I dont enjoy it) and see confederate flags and hillbilly shacks I feel that this is what most people consider to be southern, and as a result am ashamed to consider myself a southerner. Someone else mentioned Sandy Springs becoming its own city as an example of how Atlanta does not have much influence. Um, do you realize that the only reason why Sandy Springs has become its own city is because the people hate to pay taxes to the city of Atlanta which go directly downtown instead of to Sandy Springs. It has absolutely nothing to do with Atlanta's influence. Anyways, being that Atlanta to many people is not a part of the south, I am starting to ponder whether Atlanta is the most important southern city, or the most important city in the south. I'm gonna say it is the most important city in the south, but not the most important southern city because it is not southern. Atlanta mostly influences the city and its suburbs, but not much of the rest of the south. (I do realize this is the direct opposite of my prior view of the subject but I am looking at it from a different point of view) Keep in mind this is all just my personal opinion and I realize how much it is worth but I still like to express it anyways. Someone should make a poll "is Atlanta culturally southern?"

It seems like we have gotten away from the original topic of the thread..."Is Atlanta the most important city in the South?"

What makes Atlanta more important and on a level higher then the larger southern metros of Dallas, Houston, Miami and Washington, DC. I still fail to see what makes Atlanta more progressive and important than any of these places. Therefore, I still believe that it isn't.

benjamin, do you live in Atlanta? If so, how can you say that it is not Southern. You can't go to ATL without hearing someone say ain't and y'all! Atlanta may have a lot of nothern transplants that may try to influence its culture, but there is no way that people from the north will ever change the charm of this Southern city (as long as Southern people tend to outnumber notherners in their own (south) territory. Atlanta is definitely "country". Don't let the skyscrapers and sprawl fool you. Atlanta is still in Georgia, one of the hillbilliest states in the South and that is not going to change no where in the near future.

Then what makes those cities better thelakelander?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The point is these cities offer everything Atlanta does and in some instances more. Maybe I should ask the question this way. What does Atlanta offer than you can't get in these other 4 larger Southern metropolitan areas?

Other than Washington, DC, which is important on a national level, I don't think any city in the south, including Atlanta, Miami, Houston, etc can be considered the Capitol or most important city of the region.

benjamin, do you live in Atlanta? If so, how can you say that it is not Southern. You can't go to ATL without hearing someone say ain't and y'all! Atlanta may have a lot of nothern transplants that may try to influence its culture, but there is no way that people from the north will ever change the charm of this Southern city (as long as Southern people tend to outnumber notherners in their own (south) territory. Atlanta is definitely "country". Don't let the skyscrapers and sprawl fool you. Atlanta is still in Georgia, one of the hillbilliest states in the South and that is not going to change no where in the near future.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, I live in Atlanta. 95% of the people I know or have met here have no southern accent at all. You honestly dont see a huge difference between the city of Atlanta and the rest of the state of Goergia?

Atlanta is definitely "country". Don't let the skyscrapers and sprawl fool you. Atlanta is still in Georgia, one of the hillbilliest states in the South and that is not going to change no where in the near future.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is the most ridiculous statement I have ever heard :rofl: . How is Atlanta country? It is a huge place with millions of people and it's country? Benjamin is right about Atlanta having a lot of northern transplants. Go to Buckhead and tell me how southern or "country" those people are. Give me a break! There are plenty of places in Georgia that are not country such as Columbus and Savannah. Georgia might have been a "hillbilly" state 100 years ago, but it sure isn't now. You must be thinking of Tennessee or Kentucky. Come to Atlanta and see for yourself :thumbsup: .

That is the most ridiculous statement I have ever heard  :rofl: . How is Atlanta country? It is a huge place with millions of people and it's country? Benjamin is right about Atlanta having a lot of northern transplants. Go to Buckhead and tell me how southern or "country" those people are. Give me a break! There are plenty of places in Georgia that are not country such as Columbus and Savannah. Georgia might have been a "hillbilly" state 100 years ago, but it sure isn't now. You must be thinking of Tennessee or Kentucky. Come to Atlanta and see for yourself  :thumbsup: .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

have you been to tennessee lately? or kentucky for that matter? true, all states have "bad" parts, but that doesn't mean the whole state does. come to nashville and i'll show ya west end, belle meade (one of the richest areas in the country), green hills, brentwood, etc...... true atlanta is important, but so are all the other major cities in the south. nashville is one of the new southern boomtowns. we're also using atlanta as a model of what not to do to.

Ok, people seem to just be getting more and more personally offended. Lets solve these problems by admiting that the southern states are southern and hillbillyish, but the major cities have started to or have already isolated themselves from the hillbilly south and become true major cities of the U.S. more than just the south.

Admit it, you are country. It's not a bad thing, everyone wants to be country now, just ask Nelly. If people from the ATL don't have Southern accents, you must have never heard Outkast, T.I. and Luda speak. They even admit it themseleves that they are country. Come on, where talking about a state that just changed their Condfederate state flag to a new one. And yes that flag did once not to long ago fly on top of your Gold Dome, right in the middle of ATL.

Admit it, you are country. It's not a bad thing, everyone wants to be country now, just ask Nelly. If people from the ATL don't have Southern accents, you must have never heard Outkast, T.I. and Luda speak. They even admit it themseleves that they are country. Come on, where talking about a state that just changed their Condfederate state flag to a new one. And yes that flag did once not to long ago fly on top of your Gold Dome, right in the middle of ATL.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Have you ever been to Atlanta? Because I really think you have the complete wrong idea of what it is like. Maybe 3% of the people I know have a southern accent. Your really wrong. And what the hell do you mean by country? Country means in the middle of nowhere. Is this the middle of nowhere?

street7.jpg

street5.jpg

street4.jpg

street3.jpg

street.jpg

Water would be nice, but Atlanta offers so much more that it doesn't need to be by the Gulf or Atlantic. When people look for a place to move they look for the best place for jobs not the best body of water.

What does it offer that you can't get anywhere else in the south? Last time I checked, it wasn't even the best spot in the South for jobs. Somebody posted some stats on this a couple of months ago.

Archived