PC vs MAC

M. Brown

PC vs MAC  

104 members have voted

1. 1. PC vs MAC

• PC
    • MAC

Yes, but they aren't all available for both platforms. Case in point- SimCity4. Yes, the Mac version does exist and probably runs better than the PC's, but there is the expansion pack called 'Rush Hour' which has yet to be released for Mac. This is a problem since the expansion pack is critical for me to get the experience I want from the game.

What? Rush Hour has been out for quite a long time. I bought it last fall. And I'm pretty sure I play SC4 on a mac.

You should check into that.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I use both extensively where I work. PCs have their usefulness and their place, as do MACs. Personally, I prefer MACs because I view them as the underdog and Microsoft as the Evil Empire (though I admire Bill Gates). On style, PCs are like Hondas; there is little unique about them. MACs are more like fine German cars (but more reliable...); they just have a certain style and presence to them, SMOOOOTH. Hands down, OS X slams Win XP. Being a former repair technician, I preferred to work on MACs too..... :)

• 4 weeks later...

I wonder if Apple would ever consider offering machines with OS X or Windows (God forbid...), or BOTH... :shok: I know a lot of people who really like the styling of Apple's products, but they are stuck in the Windows world....

Actually, Apple isn't going to stop Windows from being loaded on their PC. I doubt they'll ever ship an Apple preloaded with Windows by default but it will be possible to load Windows Vista (the next version of Windows) on an Intel based Mac. Current Windows requires BIOS to boot properly and the new Intel Macs use EFI. Windows Vista however uses the EFI system for booting and theoretically could boot Windows. Microsoft could care less IMO what manufacturer there OS runs on. Being able to boot onto Apple hardware is just more gravy to them.

Hate Mac. We used it in Elementary school and it was too confusing and most of the software that's made isn't designed for Mac.

I took a look at some Windows Vista screenshots last night, and I was impressed. If it's cheap enough, I might upgrade.

I know what you mean. I think it's whatever you start with (Windows or Mac) that you get used to, and the other one seems confusing

Hate Mac. We used it in Elementary school and it was too confusing and most of the software that's made isn't designed for Mac.

I have to respectfully disagree on both counts! :) IMHO, Apple's OSs have always been vastly more intuitive, more friendly (friendlier?), and better integrated, one reason why Macs are so popular in the academic world. Point two, a lot of the software that's out there is mostly garbage. Most programs worth two blinks are available for Windows or Mac OS. What does the average person need? It will be available for both. I'll give you games, no where near the games for Mac as for PC, but then why would you buy a PC for games when you can have an XBOX360? :lol:

I took a look at some Windows Vista screenshots last night, and I was impressed. If it's cheap enough, I might upgrade.

I have no idea what Apple hardware you used in elementary school. For me it was Apple II's but even if you used a Mac, the Macs today aren't like they were when you were in elementary school. All Macs now ship with OSX, built on top of BSD UNIX. You can do anything on a Mac that you can do with Windows and actually do more since you have the entire UNIX set of commands at your fingertips. I own both an iBook and a notebook running Windows. I do prefer Windows, but then that is my job to prefer it. There is definately a lot of software made for the Mac. A place like http://www.versiontracker.com will give you a large quantity of Mac applications to choose from. All of the major software packages also come in Mac flavors. Microsoft makes Mac applications, so does Adobe, Macromedia (now Adobe), etc.

Actually, Apple isn't going to stop Windows from being loaded on their PC. I doubt they'll ever ship an Apple preloaded with Windows by default but it will be possible to load Windows Vista (the next version of Windows) on an Intel based Mac. Current Windows requires BIOS to boot properly and the new Intel Macs use EFI. Windows Vista however uses the EFI system for booting and theoretically could boot Windows.

This new entry on Engadget seems related to whatever the hell it is you're talking about here, Neo. EFI, BIOS, WTF, etc... I'll just post the link and slowly back away.

http://engadget.com/2006/01/13/will-xp-boo...macs-after-all/

As far as software goes, the only things I've missed since becoming a Mac user are the freeware and indie games and applications. Considering the average person just uses Office and a handful of media apps, the "no software" argument is pretty weak. Price, on the other hand, is a legitimate complaint.

Yep, Ubuntu is very usable for being debian based. I prefer KDE to GNOME but anyways... (I know that Kbuntu exists)

It impressed me when I tried it.

This Windows Vista looks like it will be pretty good, it will certainly look great. I'm sure I will upgrade when it's finally released.

I used to use Ubuntu but then I tried Mepis and fell in love with it.

Apple announced its new Intel Laptops and Imac today.

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/

This of course lays to rest the earlier discussion in this thread about the powerbook G5.

Yep. I've put my order in for the new MacBook Pro. I'm excited about the swtich. My only problem is that I will have to keep my rather old, slow and bulky PC around for a while, as I have one piece of software that is not designed for macs. The changeover to Intel gives me hope that it could be possible though. I might try it on Virtual PC. The new iLife suite (that comes free on new Macs) looks very cool. I have to many other random comments about these machines, so I'll just say one more: there is nothing like using the Mighty Mouse to do work on your computer.

• 3 weeks later...

Yep. I've put my order in for the new MacBook Pro. I'm excited about the swtich. My only problem is that I will have to keep my rather old, slow and bulky PC around for a while, as I have one piece of software that is not designed for macs. The changeover to Intel gives me hope that it could be possible though. I might try it on Virtual PC. The new iLife suite (that comes free on new Macs) looks very cool. I have to many other random comments about these machines, so I'll just say one more: there is nothing like using the Mighty Mouse to do work on your computer.

I'm pretty sure the only reason why your PC is bulky and slow is because its old and its not a labtop. My PC would run cirlces around a MacBook. I'm pretty sure a new Windows Notebook would be just as fast if not faster than a MacBook because they are now basically the same thing. Not a bash or anything but just a clarification.

Archived