PC vs MAC  

104 members have voted

1. 1. PC vs MAC

• PC
    • MAC

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm wondering when computers will get to the point when they are faster than us. In other words, no more complaining about waiting. Instant boot, all that stuff. Ah, I miss the good old Atari 800 with the plug in cartridges....

They used to be this way until people started putting windows on them.

The trouble with the MAC is the price and software. Go to any computer store, the MAC is in a small corner of the store and the PC take up all the other space.

Steve Jobs made the MAC so no one else could clone it. What you have is a PC that is not compatiable with the with non-mac pcs. (there was t one time there was a MAC clone, but it did not last long in the market.)

With windows, the PC performace is as good as the MAC.

PC Graphics on PC are now as good as MACs.

I vote with my pocket book and go with the PC.

We will see what they do with the Intel processor, if they are going to be the Sony Beta of the VCR world.

Just think in 10 or 20 years we will have processors with 151 trillion gigabytes of processing power (from 80 entagled Qbits) or, "2.3 trillion times more than today's best 64-bit architecture."

Actually, if you want to read more in depth on this you can join me in reading Ray Kurzweil's "The Singularity Is Near." I'm about halfway through the book at the moment and I'm enjoying every moment of it!

• 2 weeks later...

Now how would you categorize MAC using Intel processors? :silly:

It means you will soon be able to (if you can't already) build your own Mac!

I say... one of these days... the only difference between PC & Mac & Linux machines will be the OS they run.

It means you will soon be able to (if you can't already) build your own Mac!

Just because PC's can be self-built with Intel procs doesn't mean that Macs will have the same usage rights to allow you to "build your own Mac." In fact, this may never come around again. Intel's definition is not "allowing you to build your own computer."

Just because PC's can be self-built with Intel procs doesn't mean that Macs will have the same usage rights to allow you to "build your own Mac." In fact, this may never come around again. Intel's definition is not "allowing you to build your own computer."

You can build your own PC because the parts to do so are widely available. In the past, this was not the case for parts used in Macs. Now that Macs can run on Intel procs... which are already widely available... the main diff is the OS itself. I read somewhere the new Macs running on Intel have some kindof special chip in them to basically prevent you from running the OS on just any ole PC hardware. But... I believe, if I remember correctly, someone found a way around it.. and there is a version of MacOS floating around out there somewhere that can actually run on PC hardware. You technically arent "allowed" to build your own Mac... but who knows... maybe in time.

I read somewhere the new Macs running on Intel have some kindof special chip in them to basically prevent you from running the OS on just any ole PC hardware. But... I believe, if I remember correctly, someone found a way around it.. and there is a version of MacOS floating around out there somewhere that can actually run on PC hardware. You technically arent "allowed" to build your own Mac... but who knows... maybe in time.

Yes, someone did find a way around it, but only one specific hardware restrictions. This was because they copied the hardware used for the Intel test boxes sent from Apple to developers during the testing of OSX with Intel procs. You cannot go anywhere and buy a motherboard, put an Intel Duo processor on it and expect it to run OSX. The only way to do so is through emulation software, which does do a better job now since it doesn't have to convert the code over to a different architecture. Apple only changed the provider of the chip their systems run on, they didn't change anything else. Don't let the name switch of PowerPC to Intel Duo lead you to believe it will change everything.

It may work in opposite favor however, allowing software built for the PC to be easily ported or even booted natively on Apple hardware.

Yes, someone did find a way around it, but only one specific hardware restrictions. This was because they copied the hardware used for the Intel test boxes sent from Apple to developers during the testing of OSX with Intel procs. You cannot go anywhere and buy a motherboard, put an Intel Duo processor on it and expect it to run OSX. The only way to do so is through emulation software, which does do a better job now since it doesn't have to convert the code over to a different architecture. Apple only changed the provider of the chip their systems run on, they didn't change anything else. Don't let the name switch of PowerPC to Intel Duo lead you to believe it will change everything.

It may work in opposite favor however, allowing software built for the PC to be easily ported or even booted natively on Apple hardware.

I think it was originally only working under the specific hardware the OS was tested on... when only the developers version of OS X had been released. Now that the official version of OS X has been out on Intel... it's a different story. It has been cracked to work on any PC.... with a bit of work involved.

http://osx86project.org/index.php?option=c...id=116&Itemid=2

Apparently, shortly after this was done, Apple released an update to OS X. I'm sure it will be cracked as well eventually.

I, personally, think it will only be a matter of time before OS X is licensed to run on any general PC hardware... just as Windows is. Then, there will be no need for a PC vs Mac thread such as this one... it will be more appropriately Windows vs MacOS (vs Linux).

I love the new G5. We have them in our studio. Paired with a Wacom screen tablet, it makes me feel unstoppable. My only issue it that MAC does not make laptop tablets. That is my true computer dream. Do you hear me MAC? Make a tablet and I'll follow you anywhere!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a PPC and I'm not in the market to upgrade to a MacTel just yet, so this news is pretty meaningless to me. Even if I had a MacTel, I'm not really sure I'd want Windows running on it. There is only one piece of software I use on my PC that's exclusively PC, Microsoft Money, and that's just because I'm too lazy move all my Money data to Quicken on my Mac (I tried it once and it they didn't play nice during the transfer, I didn't feel like messing with it so I just gave up). Other than that, personally, I have no need for my Windows machine. I do check to see what my website looks like in Windows from time to time, but I can do that at work or through emulators.

If I had a MacTel and had a pressing need for Windows, I might try this, and change my PC into a Linux machine.

Now, at work... I'm totally going to be gunning for a Mini when it comes time to update our PCs.

As someone with a new MacTel, I find the Boot Camp to be very exciting. This potentially means that the one or two pieces of software that I can't use anymore could conceivably be useable once more (without firing up that other POS). This is also the reason I waited for the new Intel Macs. I knew that Apple would eventually provide support for a Windows bootup. Its very inticing because that is one of the main hold ups for many who are thining about the switch, and because there are just some peices of software that don't run on Macs and won't unless they begin to occupy a much more significant market share. Also, this beats the hell out of VirtualPC.

That said, I haven't had one moment of regret since getting my Mac. It was by far one of the best decisions I have ever made. Once you understand how rediculously (and unecessarily) complicated windows is, the swtich is permanent. I can't name the number of times that I have been trying to figure out how to do something, and realize that it can be done in two or three steps. Its great :)

Archived