COMPLETE: GTECH Center

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess theres no chance the city would put street parking on Francis street, or is there?  If they did this I guarantee it would do wonders by creating an attractive pedestrian environment and luring people outside of the mall to explore and spread the prosperity brought but the mall and especially if the intersection at Francis & Memorial is improved as all of us here wish.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Seems unlikely, but it wouldn't be impossible. The street could be reduced to 3 lanes, with turning lanes at Memorial Blvd., Finance Way, and Gaspee Street. It seems like there would need to be somesort of island to control left turns into/out of the GTECH parking garage. That's going to be a mess if left turns are allowed there. There's certainly room for on-street parking north of the river.

The crane for the steel appears to be up and ready to go. From where I work in the Jewlry district its really quite a site to see four large cranes at work (or about to be) mixed into the Providence cityscape.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know, I headed by on Canal Street earlier today, it's quite a site with the arm in place on that tower crane. They put that up quick too, it wasn't there when I walked to work this morning.

Put Francis Street on a road diet like in America's Cup in Newport, then they'll be some room.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm loving that, "Road Diet." Whoever coined that phrase should get a prize. There's a lot of fat roads around town. Memorial Blvd., Dean Street at 6/10, Broadway into LaSalle Square...

I'm loving that, "Road Diet." Whoever coined that phrase should get a prize. There's a lot of fat roads around town. Memorial Blvd., Dean Street at 6/10, Broadway into LaSalle Square...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My professor at school uses that phrase constantly. He also made up a "transportation food pyramid", with walking and biking on the bottom, then transit, then auto, then airplane on the top, showing which are the healthiest etc.

That crane is quite different than what I was expecting... I thought it would have a horizontal boom as opposed to the diagonal boom that this crane has.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A shot I took of the cranes last night:

GTKCranes.jpg

I did some cranespotting today as well.

:rofl: "CRANESPOTTING" :rofl:

Great pics! Bostons Big Dig used to have a huge crane farm just south of the city. It will be interesting to see how many sprout up here.

The north part of the site is now about 35-40 feet tall. I got to watch some of the construction and it was remarkable how fast they put up new beams. By Friday I'd guess most of the exo-skeleton should be complete.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You have got to be kidding me!! I was at the mall for lunch at 12:30 and they had only offloaded the tractor trailer trucks... Damn

You have got to be kidding me!! I was at the mall for lunch at 12:30 and they had only offloaded the tractor trailer trucks... Damn

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It always amazes me how the pile driving and foundation seems to take forever... then the steel go's up and a project starts to really fly!

Now if only I could find a Gtech Site cam so I can check it out at work :)

wow that was fast, im surprised theyre using steel, all the high rises going up in Portland are concrete frame even 35+ stories and it goes so slowly.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From what I understand, the Westin Tower is to have a concrete frame.

Archived