COMPLETE: GTECH Center

Are you sure this isn't some new RISD art display  :rofl:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If the kids could get it out of there, I'm sure we'd see it in Market Square or on the RISD Beach in no time.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That might be the base for the crane.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's what I was thinking. The crane sits on it then rides up as the steel rises. Doesn't seem that they'd need something like that for a 13 story building, a ground based crane should be fine, but they don't have anyplace to put a crane on the ground.

This giant yellow thing arrived at GTECH (today, I think, I don't remember seeing it this morning on the way to work). I assume it has something to do with erecting steel... 

It'd be great if Gtech would set up a web cam on the mall so people who don't work downtown can watch the progress every day.

(Anyone from Gtech reading this???)

:shifty:

It'd be great if Gtech would set up a web cam on the mall so people who don't work downtown can watch the progress every day.

(Anyone from Gtech reading this???)

:shifty:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Channel 12 has a cam ( city cam ) that has a perfect view of parcel 9 but I don't think you can view it from their web site like ch 10's tower cam

Channel 12 has a cam ( city cam ) that has a perfect view of parcel 9 but I don't think you can view it from their web site like ch 10's tower cam

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Frankie... if you can find the link would you post it? I did a search and couldn't find any web cam that was looking at the Gtech Site.

I did find a nice web cam from Telecamsystems looking at the Westin from the 20th floor of former Fleet Building.

MAY0505F.jpg

Interesting view of 95/10&Mall Ramp:

MAY0505E.jpg

I found these old renderings from what gtech had once planned to build on parcel 9

http://www.starwass.com/portfolio/parcel9/renders.html

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for posting the link! Those are the first of some of those views I've ever seen. I think we've all seen the shot of the facade facing waterplace before, but not the others.

I have to say I don't like this earlier proposal any better than the current G-Tech building. The base looks much the same as the current model, but I really dislike the top levels. The attempt at contextualization with the brick and design was not very successful, and it ends up looking like the apartment building downtown. Not bad, just ignorable. Especially at the Memoral/Francis intersection, the current buiding is better.

That piece of property appears to be very hard to design for. What would you all have done with the G-Tech site?

- Garris

The attempt at contextualization with the brick and design was not very successful, and it ends up looking like the apartment building downtown.  Not bad, just ignorable. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd have to agree. That design has too way many different textural elements and shapes. It almost makes me dizzy just looking at the drawings. :w00t:

I'm glad they didn't decide to go with that!

I don't really like either. The old one looks like Avalon at Center Place (is that the apartment building you were referring to Garris?) although I like the backside of it with the circular thingy. The new one, the one they're building, is just too boxy and normal looking. I'm no expert on architecture, but I think it would have been cool to make it look more like a mini modern superman building, although something with more browns and reds than greys. A mix of buildings is always nice though, and my version would've probly ended up lookin like Mall, Marriot and Westin all combined. And, I like the Citizens Bank Building, so that just shows you how my tastes should be disregarded... :whistling:

Eh, I don't know if that would have worked.  The building would just have been too squat, and what to do with the side facing Waterplace with a neo-Art Deco? 

Those of you who have been reading UP long enough know that I'm no fan of the current design, but I'll say this for it...  It's honest.  It's not trying to be something it's isn't, especially in comparison to the highly contrived mish-mosh design linked above.  The pedestrian level design looks nice and, frankly, if they succeed at building a vibrant street level retail area, few people will care what the rest of the building looks like.

- Garris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Too squat I guess is right, taking a building that level and bringing it down to under 12 stories would make it too stubby. I guess I meant that although I like contemporary looking architecture, something more classic like the Superman building would have been cool.

I'm real excited to see that there will be ground level retail here. It will only enhance the mall's existing restaurant/retail streetscape and will receive high foot traffic given its location between Capitol Hill, the Mall, and the Financial District. I only hope that they can better pedestrianize Francis Street and Memorial Blvd-right now it reminds me too much of an oversized suburban street and intersection. With the high amount of vehicle traffic it gets though, who knows if this is possible.

I guess theres no chance the city would put street parking on Francis street, or is there? If they did this I guarantee it would do wonders by creating an attractive pedestrian environment and luring people outside of the mall to explore and spread the prosperity brought but the mall and especially if the intersection at Francis & Memorial is improved as all of us here wish.

I guess theres no chance the city would put street parking on Francis street, or is there?  If they did this I guarantee it would do wonders by creating an attractive pedestrian environment and luring people outside of the mall to explore and spread the prosperity brought but the mall and especially if the intersection at Francis & Memorial is improved as all of us here wish.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And it would be a natural traffic calmer. People already think you can on street park in front of the mall...and double park and block traffic...

Tower of power

Tuesday, May 10, 2005

That big yellow thing on the construction site of GTECH Holding Corp.'s new headquarters in Providence is a Potain tower crane. The 50-ton behemoth, which will finish being assembled, inspected and tested this week, will be used to build the 10-story tower that will make up the corner of the building. The crane will be used to place the steel beams that will form the structure's skeleton. The steel is to arrive Monday, according to Bob Hunt, general superintendent for Gilbane Building Co., which is the construction manager for the project. The company plans to start pouring the concrete for the parking garages four to six weeks after the steel starts going up. The tower portion of the bulding should be finished by the end of August, Hunt said.

ProJo.com

10-stories? Is this building getting shorter everytime I read about it?

Archived