TallySheet

bobliocatt

I was sincerely trying to stay out of all of this in hopes that it would blow over and cooler heads would prevail, but I just can't help it.....

First of all, I don't pretend to know all that was said/done by FL with respect to the site administrators and this whole moderator issue. Quite frankly, unless the rest of you were cc'd on the communications, I think it's a bit presumptuous for anyone to place blame for the situation on his ego or their actions (I feel certain that, like professional situations many of us encounter everyday, things could have probably been handled differently on both sides). I haven't been an active poster on this site for as long as some of you, but I do know that I was drawn here by the incredible content, photos, etc. that were (in large part) contributed by FL. He obviously put in a lot of time and effort, was a very active member of our group (who showed up for a group meet) and regardless of whether I always agreed with his opinions/ideas, etc., I always respected the fact that he had a sincere desire to see Tallahassee grow and develop into the sustainable, modern metro that I think most of us envision and desire.

Bottom line- he had disagreements with the administrators that none of us were privy to, and he decided that he wanted/needed a change..........so rather than thanking him for making the site better for the last 3 years, we start attacking him- and not just attacks regarding his departure, but taking personal shots, making threats about contacting his employer and attempting to get him into copyright trouble (which is a non-issue from a legal perspective), etc. I know that some of you think his actions in leaving the site were "childish," but does that really justify our ceasing to act like adults? We don't always get along on here, and some of us obviously like to push buttons from time to time (which I often find amusing), but I just can't understand how or why (with our little community pushing for growth and change in local/regional development and the economy already so small) some of us are so anxious and willing to tear down FL (a like-minded member of our community) for making a decision that was personal to him. I know that it was personal to him and that there was more to it than the moderator issue b/c rather than just forming an opinion and commenting with bits and pieces of info, 2 posts from the administrators and inference from FL's own limited responses during the departure, I called him to ask what happened and to get his side of it b/c I personally found it difficult to believe that this single "moderator event" was the driving force behind the departure given the time and effort he had expended over the past 3 years and the obvious love he had for this forum. If you don't want to remain his friend/acquaintance b/c of these issues- then don't. If you don't want to visit the new site- then don't. That's fine in my book. As for the personal comments and innuendo though- I think enough of, and respect all of you enough, to have expected a little more that's all.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll just say one final thing regarding this and call it an end to the debate since it obviously isn't going to do any good to place blame on either side. I'm certain that Florida has a stance that he will not waver from so there really is no reason for me or anyone else to debate it further. The last communication that any administrator of this site had with him was in regards to his request to be re-enacted as moderator over the Tallahassee forum. At the point that Florida announced his new website and departure from UP we were still undecided on the issue.

We really want the absolute best for UP and because of this we have some fairly extensive requirements for any user that wishes to be moderator. In fact, every single moderator that we have at the moment has gotten to be moderator because we asked them first, not because they requested to become part of the staff here at UP. For a user to go from asking to be part of the staff here to simply wanting to quit and start their own site in less than a week makes one wonder what the original motive was, which is exactly why we prefer to initiate the request to join the staff instead of the other way around.

Take it for you what you will as it is a dead issue IMO. UP is not perfect by any means but we all work very hard (users and staff members) to bring everyone together as a community and we do our very best to not play hardball with anyone. We particularly don't want to be a site that throws pissing matches on a whim and I'm certainly not going to let it become that. That in particular has been one of the main driving factors of UP's success in all of the cities and regions that we cover. I suspect that users will see the difference between UP and any other competitor, particularly one that was created out of desire just to compete with what has been created here on UP. I honestly don't mind if someone wants to create their own site and hold their own discussions if they feel we're not operating this site optimally, but I assure you that we certainly care about the communities created here on UP and we work hard to create the foundation that a great community can be built upon.

Yes, Florida has created some excellent content in his time here at UP, but this site is much more than just one user. This site is about community and the users that come together to create that community and that is worth a lot more than any one person can give. I am certain that UP{sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}}Tallahassee will do just fine.

Neo I appreciate you explaining so politely your side of the story. I definitely agree that this message board is much bigger than just one person. I feel in the past few years, we've built a great Tally community here.

Like I've said before, I think our room does a great job of moderating itself. Even w/this "big bump in the road" we're working through our problems ourselves it seems.

Question: Who should we contact about housekeeping/editing issues on the Tally board?

This will be my last post in regards to TJ. But it's semi-amusing that he requires membership to his site? Why would he do that? So he can control who is able to see its content, and who cannot. He ultimately fed his ego, and became moderator of a website. Congrats TJ-Ego!

Anyone else been blocked by "the decider?" hahahahaha ;)

This will be my last post in regards to TJ. But it's semi-amusing that he requires membership to his site? Why would he do that? So he can control who is able to see its content, and who cannot. He ultimately fed his ego, and became moderator of a website. Congrats TJ-Ego!

Anyone else been blocked by "the decider?" hahahahaha ;)

COSTCO Members, I haven't been over that way recently but what are the gas prices like over there?

I'm just curious as to why SAM's Club is keeping their gas @ $3.25 a gallon. Is it to compete against COSTCO? They said it was to celebrate their 25th anniversary but I'm not sure if that's all true. I'm not complaining though...especially when everywhere else is $3.44 - $3.55. It was $3.22 last week, then went to $3.25. The Sam's attendant told me this morning that that it would be going up today or tomorrow when the next fuel delivery was made. Anyway, just curious how it compares to COSTCO?

Poonther and other UP-Tallahassee regulars...I have an idea I want to run by you.

I was thinking we could start a "letters" thread, and we can write notes about ourselves, under a false name, telling ourselves how great and insightful our original (As in UP was the FIRST to report on Roly Poly opening...we know other dont venture over to the Eastside regularly) info here at UP is? What do you guys think?

Poonther and other UP-Tallahassee regulars...I have an idea I want to run by you.

I was thinking we could start a "letters" thread, and we can write notes about ourselves, under a false name, telling ourselves how great and insightful our original (As in UP was the FIRST to report on Roly Poly opening...we know other dont venture over to the Eastside regularly) info here at UP is? What do you guys think?

Edited by cowgirl