Bull Street Common

The_sandlapper

10 hours ago, CLT_sc said:

I agree. It is almost as iconic a building for Columbians as the state capital building. I sincerely hope some of the money generated from this project could be funneled back into helping the state's mentally ill; they should see some benefit from this.

36 minutes ago, victory said:

I agree. It is almost as iconic a building for Columbians as the state capital building. I sincerely hope some of the money generated from this project could be funneled back into helping the state's mentally ill; they should see some benefit from this.

Are you talking about from the original sale of the land?

21 minutes ago, victory said:

Has there already been some designation that monies be channeled to mental health services? If so..GREAT! 

I know nothing of the deal relating to this. If anything was set aside, it would have been upfront. However, I don’t think you’re going to find a private developer, who had to be lured and incentivized to develop this site, sharing their earnings down the road. Nor should they, IMO.

9 hours ago, GvilleSC said:

I know nothing of the deal relating to this. If anything was set aside, it would have been upfront. However, I don’t think you’re going to find a private developer, who had to be lured and incentivized to develop this site, sharing their earnings down the road. Nor should they, IMO.

Hughes is king of incentives and tax credits, he has a long history in using tax credits for developments.

Regardless, this type of development is worth the investment.  And, I am sure the developer will make a nice profit from this project.  When finished, it will be a unique project unlike a lot of cheap wood on pedestal apartment buildings being built today.

20 hours ago, CLT_sc said:

Hughes is king of incentives and tax credits, he has a long history in using tax credits for developments.

Regardless, this type of development is worth the investment.  And, I am sure the developer will make a nice profit from this project.  When finished, it will be a unique project unlike a lot of cheap wood on pedestal apartment buildings being built today.

I agree. The existing structures from the original campus have good bones, and when redeveloped, should make Bull St Common stand out from the cookie cutter pack.

15 hours ago, victory said:

I agree. The existing structures from the original campus have good bones, and when redeveloped, should make Bull St Common stand out from the cookie cutter pack.

This project has seemed slow, but a lot of work has occurred.  This building is a signature structure and will be a showcase for Columbia and S.C.  However cool, I am still not sure I could live in this building.  But, this building will have a fast lease up rate.  Cola is doing a great job at renovating older building for apartments and hotels. 

Its too bad that the media misses a lot of what is happing in the city.  Between these projects and the growth of Carolina, a lot is happening in the city.  

6 hours ago, CLT_sc said:

This project has seemed slow, but a lot of work has occurred.  This building is a signature structure and will be a showcase for Columbia and S.C.  However cool, I am still not sure I could live in this building.  But, this building will have a fast lease up rate.  Cola is doing a great job at renovating older building for apartments and hotels. 

Its too bad that the media misses a lot of what is happing in the city.  Between these projects and the growth of Carolina, a lot is happening in the city.  

Yes, lots of good things are happening here. In today's The State, alone, are the announcement of another national retailer for Bull St, and plans for Finlay Park, which may still include a whitewater rafting center, or some such thing.

On 10/31/2019 at 5:41 PM, victory said:

Yes, lots of good things are happening here. In today's The State, alone, are the announcement of another national retailer for Bull St, and plans for Finlay Park, which may still include a whitewater rafting center, or some such thing.

There are a lot of developments in the city, just saw the park announcement and Starbucks.  The park is under utilized and should be renovated, working with the US Whitewater Center in CLT is a big positive for the park. Between this, the Horseshoe and Statehouse grounds, Cola has a lot of green space in the center city....could be the most of any city in SC, not sure.  I think Bull has allocated a lot of space for parks too, just not sure how much. 

Bull St has the feel that they are building momentum for other announcements.  The site of REI and Starbucks looks like more will be announced to fill in the gaps.  Renovating Babcock will be a big catalyst for more development. 

And, developments across the Congaree look great.

21 hours ago, CLT_sc said:

There are a lot of developments in the city, just saw the park announcement and Starbucks.  The park is under utilized and should be renovated, working with the US Whitewater Center in CLT is a big positive for the park. Between this, the Horseshoe and Statehouse grounds, Cola has a lot of green space in the center city....could be the most of any city in SC, not sure.  I think Bull has allocated a lot of space for parks too, just not sure how much. 

Bull St has the feel that they are building momentum for other announcements.  The site of REI and Starbucks looks like more will be announced to fill in the gaps.  Renovating Babcock will be a big catalyst for more development. 

And, developments across the Congaree look great.

Devine St, Five Points, the Vista, New Brookland, Forest Acres..all these distinct neighborhoods are clicking on all cylinders. I'm a lifelong Columbian, and have traveled extensively, but there could never be another place which feels like home. I love its affordability, warm weather and warm people. Will be at Soda City this Saturday with my daughter and our dog, mixing with other Columbians (and a few out of towners), and just enjoying one of the simple (free) pleasures of residing in our state's capital. Can you tell I'm a fan?

14 hours ago, victory said:

Devine St, Five Points, the Vista, New Brookland, Forest Acres..all these distinct neighborhoods are clicking on all cylinders. I'm a lifelong Columbian, and have traveled extensively, but there could never be another place which feels like home. I love its affordability, warm weather and warm people. Will be at Soda City this Saturday with my daughter and our dog, mixing with other Columbians (and a few out of towners), and just enjoying one of the simple (free) pleasures of residing in our state's capital. Can you tell I'm a fan?

Cola is a good city to be excited about.  The city has a coolness factor that is hard to duplicate.  The music scene is strong, the restaurants are great and what I really like to see is the many renovation projects happening across the city.  I have lost count of the large renovation projects across Columbia.  In addition, the city has history at almost every corner and of course Carolina.

Bull St will be a critical development in the city having a range of development from retail to baseball to historic renovations to tech  and the USC School of Medicine.  Not sure any other current or future urban project will ever top this in SC.  

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, CLT_sc said:

Will be interested in the upcoming announcement of new retail near the bbq joint. It's a slow process, but each baby step builds upon the next. Should be a really vibrant place within the next 5 years or so. USC's presence there should not be underestimated.

Edited by victory

On 11/21/2019 at 6:17 AM, victory said:

Will be interested in the upcoming announcement of new retail near the bbq joint. It's a slow process, but each baby step builds upon the next. Should be a really vibrant place within the next 5 years or so. USC's presence there should not be underestimated.

Once USCSOM moves there, this project will definitely have a lot of vibrancy.  It will have baseball, technology, medicine, open space, retirement options and retail....it could be the most diversified project in SC.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

https://columbiabusinessreport.com/news/retail/77974/     I am sorry to see Bone N close, but there is just not enough on site to draw people there apart from a baseball game. The development will be successful,I hope, but it is always tough being a pioneer entrepreneur when there aren't any existing businesses surrounding you to generate foot traffic. Just going to take time. Columbia is so spread out, with so many districts in which people go to spend $, there has got to be more reason to drive to Bull Street.    

3 hours ago, vicupstate said:

I see that REI opens in the Summer. Will be interesting to see what comes in the immediate wake of that. 

i

That might be a destination store, which is great, but I sure wish they could have had three or more commercial tenants up and running simultaneously.  I understand it is risky being the first ones, but to build traction we need more than baseball.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...