First Ward Urban Village / North Tryon Vision Plan

uptownliving

Any updates on this meeting?!?

The meeting was good, unfortunately turnout was low.

The main focus was on community brainstorming rather than feedback or comments on current plans. So it was a great opportunity to have your suggestions heard.

After introductions a consultant gave an idea presentation. Then participants divided up into 6 groups (the four wards, South End and a Center City Group) to brain storm and present their ideas with the entire group.

I saw a few good ideas, nothing exceptionally startling.

I believe the next meeting will be in Oct with opportunity to discuss and comment on the plans.

Edited by jf Uptown

^Actually, that was the Center City Parks and public spaces meeting from thursday. The first ward park meeting was Wednesday. Same thing though, they were looking for public input on what residents would want from that particular park. It has a great opportunity to jumpstart growth in Levine land. Also to tie Imaginon, the LRT, and the new public space at First Ward Elem. together. 8th St is def. staying as of right now, but would have some traffic calming and pedscape improvments to help it.

The plan to build a deck north of 8th, in the space on that block not taken by UNCC and Levines planned building is still a go. They are just not sure what to do with the elevation of the 2 blocks. Its an 18ft difference from 7th and the tracks to 8th and Brevard.

I had the first walkthrough of the Quad @ Quarterside today. The building is the still very much a construction site. Will post pictures soon.

First thoughts:

- Unit condition and finishes exceeded my expectations in quality and completeness

- Hall and common areas have finishes on par with Avenue and Trademark hall areas (sans flat screen tvs at Avenue)

- Retail is progressing well with more tenants soon to be signed

- The parking garages will be gated and residents only for the Quad. Visitor parking on street, in the surface lot and part of the Ledge deck

- Overall, very happy with the results.

• 2 weeks later...

Possibly, though I would argue it would be beneficial for the park planning process to see what the current plans are. I think its more likely that the park could be planned to fit the context of UNCC's building, that to expect UNCC to make changes to compliment the design of the park.

Obviously if this whole deal falls apart, the parking deck situation gets muddied might lead to a redisgn, but I think its in the public's best interest to design the park with knowledge of what UNCC is planning.

They do have a site plan that shows the general shape of the building and where it would go. I think thats about all you really need as far as park design.

You have to realise the risk of UNCC releasing renderings. This park has only been agreed to in concept...meaning there is no signed agreement and therefore the NC State Government will not allow UNCC to proceed with construction of the building in its current form until there is a formal agreement that a Park will be there. There is still the risk that the park deal will fall through....and instead of a park there could be a building next to UNCC. If there is going to be a park there...then that enitre side of UNCC would be mostly glass....but if there is not going to be a park then it would be very littly glass/windows. That would be a major design change for the 10 story building.

The workshops we are having now deal more with the envelope of the Park than detailed Park design. The detailed Park design meetings will happen sometime next year or in 2010 and at that point the renderings of the UNCC building should be public.

Edited by uptownliving

QCkid

Thanks for the pixs and sounds like you are a happy camper.

The buildings are aesthetically pleasing. Architecturally they blend very well with Uptown...unlike The "pink building" in the foreground which should belong in Brickell in Miami.

Mr. Furman continues to be constant on his facades.

There is unconstructed land between the Enclave and Quarterside. Maybe a Hannaford or Whole Foods can be situated on this lot. :hi:

There is unconstructed land between the Enclave and Quarterside. Maybe a Hannaford or Whole Foods can be situated on this lot. :hi:

That land was put out for bid by the CHA a couple of months ago. I think bids were due back in July. I'm not sure if they received any bids and if they did, if they accepted.

QCkid

Thanks for the pixs and sounds like you are a happy camper.

The buildings are aesthetically pleasing. Architecturally they blend very well with Uptown...unlike The "pink building" in the foreground which should belong in Brickell in Miami.

Mr. Furman continues to be constant on his facades.

Hannaford???? They exited the Charlotte Market a decade ago. Don't count on that one.

Well according to the biz journal, UNCC is planning to start construction of their new building in February 2009. Designs are still being finalized on the 10-story 141,000 sq. ft building
The Biz Journal said 210 Trade was about to start construction just a few days before the news came out the project was in permanent hold due to the lawsuits. It's notorious for saying these things and then they turn out not to be true.

Well its the only piece of news we have to go by for this project. We know the building has funding from the NC legislature, so its not subject to sales or financing requirements like 210 trade was. Yes, it could certainly run into issues and construction might not start, but I was just posting that it might start in February.

• 3 weeks later...

I really like both designs as well. I think I favor concept A slightly more due to the cluster of trees on a diagonal, but they are both similar and would do wonders for the area. The surface lot that is there right now where Dixie's is is a disaster.

Edit: looking at the designs more in depth, I don't know how much of a concern this is or if it was mentioned or talked about, but I'm assuming that the blue on both designs are water features. Not sure what sort of water features they are, but the designer is going to have to be VERY cautious with how they treat that water feature because that's a children's museum across the street on that side of the park and I'm not sure what restrictions parks have with the water near a place where children are active.

Edited by Andyc545