Detroit Photo of the Day

Allan

Yeah, this is one of the nicest infill projects in the city. I wish all the infill projects were built like this one, instead of like some of the sprawlier crap going in elsewhere. It helps that these are all different, have front porches, and are built close to the street. There are only five or six completed, but I'm assuming that they are planning to build more.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, this is one of the nicest infill projects in the city.  I wish all the infill projects were built like this one, instead of like some of the sprawlier crap going in elsewhere.  It helps that these are all different, have front porches, and are built close to the street.  There are only five or six completed, but I'm assuming that they are planning to build more.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Those are nice.

I haven't seen anything different happening there in two months.  Nice photo though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believe the last time I saw anyone working there at all was late October or early November. The building looks the same now as it does in that photo, except that the trim around the windows and doors on the first floor has been painted green.

I believe the last time I saw anyone working there at all was late October or early November.  The building looks the same now as it does in that photo, except that the trim around the windows and doors on the first floor has been painted green.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe their waiting for the winter thaw?

Sunday, March 20, 2005

The 32 story David Stott Building was constructed in 1929 by F. H. Martin Construction Company. The building was designed by Donaldson & Meier, and rises 437 feet above the street. The electricity was shut off in the mid 1990s and all the tenants moved out. Since that time, the building has been undergoing a floor-by-floor renovation. Tenants currently occupy floors 16 through 32.

03_20_05_IMG_2567.jpg

Nice photos Allan! Ok, so I'm still confused on the Stott. Are the lower floors being renovated into office space, which will mean the tenants who are on the higher floors will have to move to the lower floors, and then we will see a conversion to condos on the upper floors?

Nice photos Allan!  Ok, so I'm still confused on the Stott.  Are the lower floors being renovated into office space, which will mean the tenants who are on the higher floors will have to move to the lower floors, and then we will see a conversion to condos on the upper floors?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Who knows. I'm under the impression that it's still just an idea they are throwing around.

Allan,

do you know what the deal is on why this building looks so dirty.  I know they tried to clean it a while back, did they get to the whole thing, because it looks like they just stopped. 

It would also be amazing if they lit up the top.  Has that ever happened?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They never finished, because they ran out of money. You can tell where they didn't clean. Part of the reason it looks dirty is just because of the nature of the stone they used on the facade. The top was lit up for a while after it was built. There has not been lighting on it since probably the 1960s, although I could be wrong.

They never finished, because they ran out of money.  You can tell where they didn't clean.  Part of the reason it looks dirty is just because of the nature of the stone they used on the facade.  The top was lit up for a while after it was built.  There has not been lighting on it since probably the 1960s, although I could be wrong.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The lower part was cleaned up right?