Detroit Photo of the Day

Allan

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The old factory-like building remains a mystery to me. It is located on Elizabeth Street, right behind the Park Apartments. It was last used as antique car storage. There are old advertisements on the east facade, but I do not have a photo of them. Those might provide a clue to its former use. Given the area, it is probably owned by the same guy who owns the Park Avenue Building & the Charlevoix Hotel. I can't remember the guy's name, but snweb has spoken to him on the phone.

The old factory-like building remains a mystery to me.  It is located on Elizabeth Street, right behind the Park Apartments.  It was last used as antique car storage.  There are old advertisements on the east facade, but I do not have a photo of them.  Those might provide a clue to its former use.  Given the area, it is probably owned by the same guy who owns the Park Avenue Building & the Charlevoix Hotel.  I can't remember the guy's name, but snweb has spoken to him on the phone.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Jim Hoomaian

Another slumlord!

post-557-1112230515_thumb.jpg

post-557-1112230579_thumb.jpg

post-557-1112230515_thumb.jpg

post-557-1112230579_thumb.jpg

Friday, April 1, 2005

The Albert Kahn-designed Donovan Building was the headquarters for Motown Records from 1968 until the company moved to company moved to Los Angeles in 1972. There has been talk of demolishing the building & building a bigger Motown Museum, but the plans have never gotten off the ground.

IMG_8395.jpg

Because it's a fairly large building, and there is a bit of confusion as to what the Motown museum is going to surface to be. IMO, the building really needs to be renovated. It's the tallest building within that 5 block stretch along Woodward. Thankfully, it's in very good condition as opposed to Detroit's other endangered buildings.

... And the people who keep painting that money eggs schitt all over Detroit need to be shot. I'm sick of it turning up everywhere. Now, how are developers going to remove that?

Edited by wolverine

Barry Gordy just needs to sell the Donovan Building already. The new & improved Motown Museum is nothing more than a pipe dream. He is never going to put a single dime into the museum plan. I don't like the idea of tearing it down anyway. I would imagine that if they were to build lofts on the upper floors that the views of downtown would be quite nice, since there isn't really anything tall around there.