Detroit Photo of the Day

Allan

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Allan,

How about some neighborhoods, cross streets, or addresses when you post pictures of buildings that not everybody knows about.

For instance, what is the "side of town that could use some help?"

There aren't that many sides of town (N,E, W,...S?), and this is pretty general and value-laden description.

Opps. I was in a hurry to put this up & completely forgot to put the location! The building is located on the southeast corner of Second & Charlotte, near Cass Park & right behind the Masonic Temple.

According to the sign nailed to each building, the buildings were built in 1905, and the general contractor is Cass Avenue Development. It says that for more info, you should call (313) 831-9484. I'd call, but I don't have time...stupid architecture projects. LOL.

Atperry - I have a Cannon PowerShot A75. I am quite happy with it...a nice mid-priced camera. I'm sure it is a lot cheaper now. I think I paid $300 almost two years ago.

Things are changing so fast in the Cass Cooridor that I don't think that "a side of town that could use some help" is a good way to characterize it.

It is true that change and development has generally been moving south from WSU, and this is South of Mack, but the area doesn't "need help." It needs to continue to change just as it has been for the last few years, slow and steady.

Joel Landy (who runs Cass Avenue Develpment) has been doing great work in the area for years. (He has lived in the area for 25+ years.) I'm not sure, but I would guess that he is one of the primary reason that anybody ever talks about moving to the Cooridor.

He is also responsible for this school rehab:

http://www.lelandlofts.com/intro.php

I've also read a rumor (that is right, a rumor) that he is looking at or wants to convert old Cass Tech in a similar fashion.

Here is a feature story about him in the Freep:

http://www.freep.com/features/living/riley12_20040312.htm

Here is an old story about the trend (and Joel) in the News: http://www.detnews.com/2001/realestate/010.../b01-240427.htm

I suppose you're right, although until recently developments were happening all over midtown, with the exception of the area around Cass Park. That has been changing though, now that places like the Eddystone will be getting redeveloped, and several of the smaller apartments are being renovated. Speaking of the Eddystone, there were people inside today. One of them looked like a legitimate workman, with a hardhat & whatnot, but the other guy was a bum...I'm not quite sure what the deal was there.

I suppose you're right, although until recently developments were happening all over midtown, with the exception of the area around Cass Park.  That has been changing though, now that places like the Eddystone will be getting redeveloped, and several of the smaller apartments are being renovated.  Speaking of the Eddystone, there were people inside today.  One of them looked like a legitimate workman, with a hardhat & whatnot, but the other guy was a bum...I'm not quite sure what the deal was there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So your saying that the developments have stopped for Midtown.

Actually, I think the front stonework does have some graffiti on it, but other than that the building is pretty clean. Sandblasting stone won't be a problem, but sandblasting brick ruins it...some neighbors of mine learned that the hard way!

Park Avenue is easily the street that needs THE MOST infill and renovation in central Detroit. This is the street that when everyone sees it they think "Detroit" just because it's the worst. If you're driving along the Fisher service drive at night that entire chunk of downtown is nearly completely dark and one of the very few places that have made me feel uneasy in the city.

Cleaned up?  Sandblasting?

First of all, look at the picture.  I'm pretty sure it is clean.

Second of all, you can't sandblast brick without destroying the building.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, then...whatever method necessary to clean the front facade. At my university, they sandblast the limestone facings to remove grafitti, since it's somewhat porus and paint can go deep. And have you seen the front of the building? I mean, C'mon...

8_carlton_front_ext.jpg

Looks pretty unclean..

Edited by wolverine

Cleaning up the area would do little. It's so incredibly open that trash just blows on through from other districts. What it needs is some serious new construction in the form of residential infill and retail along the actual Park Avenue.

I really hope they get the planned Crosswinds development started on the westside of Woodward across from Woodward Place at Brush Park.