Trademark

49er

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QCKid, the confusion is coming from the fact that the whole reason they featured this home is because it is on the upcoming 4th Ward Home Tour.

Everyone has screwed up the definition of the wards, especially Center City Partners, who has institutionalized ignorance about the true definition of the wards by putting arbitrary boundaries around them roughly defined by the areas with low rise residential and then making up the ridiculous (and incorrect) Uptown North, Uptown South, etc.

But Trademark is on the tour because of proximity not strict boundary observation, and that seems fine to me. I'm sure the staff reporter just took it for granted based on the name of the tour.

For those who dont know, here is a bit of context.

There has been a bit of construction clutter in the 3 penthouse parking spots in the deck, nothing too intrusive, but nontheless a storage area for things as they finished the penthouse unit. (trash cans, saw dust, wooden 2x4s, glass blocks, etc.)

So someone spray painted on the parking deck wall something to the effect of: "Hey D*ckhead, when are you going to clean up your sh*t!" (with a huge arrow point at his stuff)...

To which the contractor (I would never imagine Furman entertaining such an inmature act) responded on a spray painted wooden removable (keyword) board:

" I cleaned it up, now please clean up your sign"

...again quotes arent exact but very close

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't hold this project to any higher standard than anything else. The foreclosure problems going on right now are everywhere and aren't confined to any demographic. Unfortunately I'd expect to see as many, percentage-wise, foreclosures for uptown condos as any other area or housing type locally.

This, though, is a bit different than the lenders that are foreclosing all over the place -- HOA foreclosures are for not paying dues for a number of months -- likely though, that if the owners aren't paying their dues they aren't paying their mortgages either.

• 1 month later...
I have to wonder if this is just policy for insurers who insure buildings like this -- seeking a reason after the first year to raise rates. They did this at 230 South Tryon as well. To me it looked like a low rate to get the first year business then spending that year finding the reason to hike and double the rates. Do you guys have Hood Hargett?

• 1 month later...

O1NE Skate shop has finally opened (or will any day now). The place is fully stocked with merchandise and I saw the owner primping the space a couple of days ago. There were no hours posted yet, and he will NEED better signage. The only signage is faux-etched glass above the door which is impossible to see unless you are standing directly in front of the door. Something like Press' sign would do a lot to get it noticed.

I hope it does well. Peeking in the window, it looks interesting. A lot of clothing but quite a few decks for sale as well. The upfit of the space is similar to what you might see at an indy shop in NYC's Lower East Side.

its been open for a week or two now. so i was really excited about a skate shop opening in uptown too, until i found out what this place actually is. its not a skate shop, its an overpriced skate-themed boutique clothing store. unless i'm mistaken, the decks aren't for sale, they're just decor. not sure what this guy's business plan is, but i'd say its probably doomed. i give it 3 months.

worse is the fact that the owner is already garnering a huge amount of criticism on a personal level, by being hostile to just about anybody who doesn't look like they're ready to drop a wad of cash as soon as they walk in. this especially includes skaters. a friend of mine had one downright disturbing experience with him already and i will not patronize his store.

its been open for a week or two now. so i was really excited about a skate shop opening in uptown too, until i found out what this place actually is. its not a skate shop, its an overpriced skate-themed boutique clothing store. unless i'm mistaken, the decks aren't for sale, they're just decor. not sure what this guy's business plan is, but i'd say its probably doomed. i give it 3 months.

worse is the fact that the owner is already garnering a huge amount of criticism on a personal level, by being hostile to just about anybody who doesn't look like they're ready to drop a wad of cash as soon as they walk in. this especially includes skaters. a friend of mine had one downright disturbing experience with him already and i will not patronize his store.

• 1 month later...

As I was exiting the parking deck today I got a quick count of realtor lock boxes hanging on the railing and I came up with 40 give or take. I specifically remember a year ago this time when the boxes were in the uppper 20's. I was wondering if others thought this was a large number for a building of this size?

I was thinking at first that maybe some of the owners had reached their two year mark and were looking to cash out but I believe the first owners closed in Fall of 2007 which would rule that theory out. How does this number compare to the Avenue?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived