Florence Developments

Spartan

The front of the building looks better.

I didn't even know they were going to build a garage. It has been awhile since I went DT. Of course garages can go up pretty quickly. I guess I'll have to ride through DT during T'giving.

There is a 5-7 story bank building planned in Florence, but that is it for mid or high-rises, that I know of.

the bank is going around 5 pts on w. palmetto at the old truck repair shop there at the corner or Evans St. Sure wish that was downtown but oh well :)

While First Reliance is going to go where they want, I truely think the City of Florence is to blame for projects like this not locating DT. The city should offer some sort of incintive that makes it almost impossible for projects like this to pass up locating downtown.

Edited by GamecockEngineer

The front of the building looks better.

I didn't even know they were going to build a garage. It has been awhile since I went DT. Of course garages can go up pretty quickly. I guess I'll have to ride through DT during T'giving.

There is a 5-7 story bank building planned in Florence, but that is it for mid or high-rises, that I know of.

They are the same front and back the only diffrence is the back as an extenson with the NN unit there, and admin offices for the Womens center as well as a child trama unit. all the front has is that over hang and trees in the back you can see the full tower

Well... that jsut bites...

Well.. Im not going to complain about projects that increase density and bring more jobs, but i do wish it could have been more down town...

oh well...

still good news though. Any idea when they break ground?

Cheers

Nothing firm has been stated. I would expect it to be at least a year, before demo work begins.

sales tax passed. i'm not sure if this is good or not for the region. i guess i just dont trust the politicians who keep telling us it was good for us and the people who gave money for the advertising that told us it was good for us to vote on it. i wonder what do they get out of it? i would never give money to help a tax increase pass, i just dont understand whats going on w/ that. well , i kinda do. but anyway, we will be blessed with another penny sales tax increase in july so we will go up to 8%. does Florence need the roads? sure. but i dont like lies like 7,000 new jobs and stuff like that.

This tax isn't good for the county and passed by a narrow margin. When I was home for Thanksgiving last week, I found out that Rep. Clyburn had already gotten the money for the Pineneedles Road project before the election, yet it remained on the list. And I don't understand why the county is responsible for funding the widening of US 378. Shouldn't U.S. roads be funded with Federal dollars?

What will they do with the funds that were allocated for the Pineneedles project? Will any of this money be used for other roads, such as SC 341? Rep. Clyburn has done an excellent job over the years, at bringing the bacon home to his district and now that he has a very powerful position in the congress, he should be able to meet the needs of some of these projects with Federal dollars.

I will be watching to see how and where this new found money is spent by Florence County.

I think it's great that the one cent tax passed. It shows that a majority of the citizens wish to have an infrastructure that will help attract business and move Florence County into the 21st century. Most Pee Dee counties are poor, have high unemployment rates and are unattractive to business.

The Florence county citizens who voted yes know that in order to compete with the rest of the state (and the country), an investment has to be made in the infrastructure for the county to move forward, jobs to come and salaries to rise. The vote showed we wish to be more like Richland and Greenville counties and less like Williamsburg and Marion. Amen to that.

By the way, the vote was 55-45%, a bit more than a "narrow margin".

Edited by flotown

This tax isn't good for the county and passed by a narrow margin. When I was home for Thanksgiving last week, I found out that Rep. Clyburn had already gotten the money for the Pineneedles Road project before the election, yet it remained on the list. And I don't understand why the county is responsible for funding the widening of US 378. Shouldn't U.S. roads be funded with Federal dollars?

What will they do with the funds that were allocated for the Pineneedles project? Will any of this money be used for other roads, such as SC 341? Rep. Clyburn has done an excellent job over the years, at bringing the bacon home to his district and now that he has a very powerful position in the congress, he should be able to meet the needs of some of these projects with Federal dollars.

I will be watching to see how and where this new found money is spent by Florence County.

I have not heard that Clyburn has gotten money for Pine Needles, but I can find out. A close friend of mine works in his DC office.

If he did, that is a good thing because that means that less local money will have to be spent on it. That means the tax will be eliminated sooner than it would otherwise. No, none of the money raised by this tax can be spent on other projects. That would break faith with what was voted on. Once the approved projects are taken care of, the tax is removed. However, now that these highest priority projects will now be handled, the money that is raised from other sources (such as the gas tax) can be spent on other projects.

U.S. Roads would normally be paid for by Federal or state funds, not local funds. However, I seriously doubt that traffic counts alone would justify widening 378 or SC 51. The fact that widening the road will encourage economic development is why it is a high priority.

Also, there are plenty of US highways that need widening, so getting the Feds or the State to pay for it would be a long shot. With the tax in place, it will happen because of the local matching.

Clyburn has been intrumental in bring Federal dollars to the district, but the district also includes part or all of like 13+ counties, including Richland and Charleston. Those areas have needs too, and we can't expect Clyburn to get Federal money for every project that Florence might like to see happen.

Florence voters made the right choice, just ask York County residents. Either you're moving forward or you're falling behind. Florence has done more than it's share of falling behind, it time to move forward.

I have not heard that Clyburn has gotten money for Pine Needles, but I can find out. A close friend of mine works in his DC office.

If he did, that is a good thing because that means that less local money will have to be spent on it. That means the tax will be eliminated sooner than it would otherwise. No, none of the money raised by this tax can be spent on other projects. That would break faith with what was voted on. Once the approved projects are taken care of, the tax is removed. However, now that these highest priority projects will now be handled, the money that is raised from other sources (such as the gas tax) can be spent on other projects.

U.S. Roads would normally be paid for by Federal or state funds, not local funds. However, I seriously doubt that traffic counts alone would justify widening 378 or SC 51. The fact that widening the road will encourage economic development is why it is a high priority.

Also, there are plenty of US highways that need widening, so getting the Feds or the State to pay for it would be a long shot. With the tax in place, it will happen because of the local matching.

Clyburn has been intrumental in bring Federal dollars to the district, but the district also includes part or all of like 13+ counties, including Richland and Charleston. Those areas have needs too, and we can't expect Clyburn to get Federal money for every project that Florence might like to see happen.

Florence voters made the right choice, just ask York County residents. Either you're moving forward or you're falling behind. Florence has done more than it's share of falling behind, it time to move forward.

He got 4 million for the Pineneedles road project, I've already confirmed it.

Considering the the source, I doubt it's validity. Ed Robinson is a race-baiting clown. How he continues to keep getting re-elected is a disgrace. Ride through his east Florence district and see how many abandoned, neglected or burned out structures there are.

Why is this councilman not urging the city or their owners to clean these properties up? In addition to being eyesores, they attract gang and drug activity, and are a danger to kids in the neighborhoods. The only time you see Robinson in the news is when he is in some kind of trouble, or is claiming police harrassment, such as when he recently compared the Florence Police department to the KKK.

Now we're supposed to believe he helped secure $4 million in funding for a predominantly white area that isn't even in his district. Even if it was true, why wouldn't he be trying to secure funds to fix up the mess in his own district?

Considering the the source, I doubt it's validity. Ed Robinson is a race-baiting clown. How he continues to keep getting re-elected is a disgrace. Ride through his east Florence district and see how many abandoned, neglected or burned out structures there are.

Why is this councilman not urging the city or their owners to clean these properties up? In addition to being eyesores, they attract gang and drug activity, and are a danger to kids in the neighborhoods. The only time you see Robinson in the news is when he is in some kind of trouble, or is claiming police harrassment, such as when he recently compared the Florence Police department to the KKK.

Now we're supposed to believe he helped secure $4 million in funding for a predominantly white area that isn't even in his district. Even if it was true, why wouldn't he be trying to secure funds to fix up the mess in his own district?

True, Robinson is a dubious source at best, but what he is alleging is that Cong. Clyburn obtained the funds, not himself. Since it came just before the election, it is an even more suspicious claim. It certainly could be true, but it is very odd that Clyburn didn't announce it himself.

I will believe it when I hear it from a more reliable source. I hope that is is true, because it would alleviate the local funding burden. As I posted earlier, any Federal funds obtained would be a positive thing.

Sounds like you've got a problem with Ed and the people of his district. Your mention of Williamsburg and Marion in your previous post and now you ref this district and it's problems says a lot about you. I would think that the whole city council would be responsible for citywide progress, but your reference seems to suggest otherwise, relative to Ed's district.

BTW, why did Ed compare the FPD to the KKK?

Sounds like you've got a problem with Ed and the people of his district. Your mention of Williamsburg and Marion in your previous post and now you ref this district and it's problems says a lot about you. I would think that the whole city council would be responsible for citywide progress, but your reference seems to suggest otherwise, relative to Ed's district.

BTW, why did Ed compare the FPD to the KKK?

Would you like to explain yourself? Did I say anything about the people of Ed Robinson's district, other than their voting Robinson in? Yes, I do have a big problem with Robinson himself. He is a do-nothing, race-baiting councilman. If anything, they are victims of his incompetence and do-nothingness.

And what about mentioning Williamsburg and Marion counties, the two poorest counties with the highest unemployment rates in the state, which border Florence county to the south and east. Just what does that say about me, Scoop? Come clean.....what are you implying? Could it be that I'm a racist? Hmmmm...

You sound like your friend Ed Robinson. You have no legitimate points. Your only tactic is to discredit anyone who you disagree with by throwing around the r-word. All you do in the process is further dilute the meaning of the word. But I'll continue to call things as I see them, and you can label me what you want.

As for Robinson's comment, he interfered with an arrest (I forget the details), was arrested, and referred to the police as the klan. To his credit, he later apologized.

Would you like to explain yourself? Did I say anything about the people of Ed Robinson's district, other than their voting Robinson in? Yes, I do have a big problem with Robinson himself. He is a do-nothing, race-baiting councilman. If anything, they are victims of his incompetence and do-nothingness.

And what about mentioning Williamsburg and Marion counties, the two poorest counties with the highest unemployment rates in the state, which border Florence county to the south and east. Just what does that say about me, Scoop? Come clean.....what are you implying? Could it be that I'm a racist? Hmmmm...

You sound like your friend Ed Robinson. You have no legitimate points. Your only tactic is to discredit anyone who you disagree with by throwing around the r-word. All you do in the process is further dilute the meaning of the word. But I'll continue to call things as I see them, and you can label me what you want.

As for Robinson's comment, he interfered with an arrest (I forget the details), was arrested, and referred to the police as the klan. To his credit, he later apologized.

Flo, I only responded to what you posted. You're the one who inserted race into this discussion with your assessment of and displeasure for Ed Robinson. His contituents reelected him because they appreciate the job he's doing for them.

You also posted the above which envoked race into a discussion regarding the tax issue.

BTW, I don't know Ed Robinson, so he and I are not friends as you have assumed. You're the one attempting to discredit others with a different viewpoint.

Flo, I only responded to what you posted. You're the one who inserted race into this discussion with your assessment of and displeasure for Ed Robinson. His contituents reelected him because they appreciate the job he's doing for them.

I stated that Ed Robinson is a do-nothing councilman who can not discuss any issue without making it a race issue. So he happens to be black? I would have the same problems with David Duke or Jesse Helms if they were on the council. I have no problems with Billy D. Williams or Terry Alexander when he was on the board, as they have handled themselves in a professional manner. Robinson handles himself like a clown.

You also posted the above which envoked race into a discussion regarding the tax issue.
And again, that was to make a point regarding Robinson's claim of acquiring the funds. Reread the statement in the article...it say's "Robinson said he and city councilman Billy D. Williams already secured $4 million in funding for the Pineneedles Road project with help from Congressman James Clyburn". THEY secured the funds. Shouldn't he have said "Clyburn secured the funds when we brought it to his attention", or something similar. It seems Clyburn's effort is getting the short end of the stick, do you think. If Williams said it, there would be no reason to mention that it is a predominantly white area. But Robinson, who is no stranger to racially charged comments ("those whites", "our people"), it seems funny that he would push for funds in an area outside his district.

BTW, I don't know Ed Robinson, so he and I are not friends as you have assumed. You're the one attempting to discredit others with a different viewpoint.

I concur. I'm merely discrediting your veiled implication that I'm a racist for bashing Robinson and commenting on the present state of Williamsburg and Marion counties, in relation to Florence county.

No hard feelings, so lets get back to talking about bettering Florence and the Pee Dee.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the almost completed QVC plant on North Irby Street, past the old Wilson High School toward I-95.

Impressive.

323478002_33fb0a8590_b.jpg

Here's the Starbucks going up at the Florence Mall, where Bentons used to be.

323478004_9cbbd6d6ee_o.jpg

Finally, this is construction at the back of Magnolia Mall. I had thought it was Dicks sporting goods, but I've since heard that Dillards was coming to the mall, so this might be that. Dicks may be the site to the far left, if you look close, as the land there has been primed for construction. There is also a Barnes & Noble going up at the front of the mall.

323477999_0bd053ce8b_o.jpg