Florence Developments

Spartan

That Flats study has NOTHING to do with the Referendum.

Here is the ballot wording. As you can see there are 6 projects. The two largest ones (by far) will benefit Lower Florence County. One will benefit Timmonsville. Three will benefit one part of Florence or another. The mileage from ALL THREE of these will be exceeded by just ONE of the Lower Florence projects.

Five of the Six projects can easily be classified as directly improving the transportation system required by industry.

How does Widening Pamplico Hwy in pamplico help Florence? The part of Pamplico Hwy that is in and near Florence is already four-laned. The reason that so many folks in Pamplico and Johnsonville drive to Florence is because they are no JOBS in their home towns. There are no jobs because there is no INFRASTRUCTURE to accomodate industry. The 18 wheelers that industry depends on, are not going to drive down two lane highways stuck behind a farm tractor!!

The 378 work that has already occurred will not extend 378 beyond lake City to Pamplico and Johnsonville. The distance from 52 to 41 is quite significant.

Ballot Question The ballot question reads: "Must a special 1 percent sales and use tax be imposed in Florence County for not more than seven years to raise the amounts specified for the following purposes: $148,000,000 for the Florence County Road Project with the individual components of the Project to be funded in the following order of priority: 1. Widening of Pineneedles Road from South Ebenezer Road to Southborough Road 2. The widening of U.S. 378 from U.S. 52 to S.C. 41 3. Widening of U.S. 76 from Interstate 95 to Timmonsville 4. Widening of TV Road from Wilson Road to Interstate 95 5. Widening of Pamplico Highway from Claussen Road to U.S. 378 6. Completion of the U.S. 301 Bypass from U.S. 76 to U.S. 52"

Keep in mind that Florence's Economic Development head is from KIngsburg, Joe King, and he use to be County Administartor !!

When i get the time, I will post on the myth that Lower Florence is shortchanged. They are not.

That Flats study has NOTHING to do with the Referendum.

Here is the ballot wording. As you can see there are 6 projects. The two largest ones (by far) will benefit Lower Florence County. One will benefit Timmonsville. Three will benefit one part of Florence or another. The mileage from ALL THREE of these will be exceeded by just ONE of the Lower Florence projects.

Five of the Six projects can easily be classified as directly improving the transportation system required by industry.

How does Widening Pamplico Hwy in pamplico help Florence? The part of Pamplico Hwy that is in and near Florence is already four-laned. The reason that so many folks in Pamplico and Johnsonville drive to Florence is because they are no JOBS in their home towns. There are no jobs because there is no INFRASTRUCTURE to accomodate industry. The 18 wheelers that industry depends on, are not going to drive down two lane highways stuck behind a farm tractor!!

The 378 work that has already occurred will not extend 378 beyond lake City to Pamplico and Johnsonville. The distance from 52 to 41 is quite significant.

Ballot Question The ballot question reads: "Must a special 1 percent sales and use tax be imposed in Florence County for not more than seven years to raise the amounts specified for the following purposes: $148,000,000 for the Florence County Road Project with the individual components of the Project to be funded in the following order of priority: 1. Widening of Pineneedles Road from South Ebenezer Road to Southborough Road 2. The widening of U.S. 378 from U.S. 52 to S.C. 41 3. Widening of U.S. 76 from Interstate 95 to Timmonsville 4. Widening of TV Road from Wilson Road to Interstate 95 5. Widening of Pamplico Highway from Claussen Road to U.S. 378 6. Completion of the U.S. 301 Bypass from U.S. 76 to U.S. 52"

Keep in mind that Florence's Economic Development head is from KIngsburg, Joe King, and he use to be County Administartor !!

When i get the time, I will post on the myth that Lower Florence is shortchanged. They are not.

I'll await your explanation. I am just providing feedback that I've heard expressed by those who live in these areas. I can't vote in the referendum, but do have interest because I have property and relatives in the area.

The slight to Lower Florence County isn't a myth, it's a fact. Present your data to dispute their claims....

While I tend to want to stay out of Scoops and Vics I would like to throw my two cents in..

Vic, in scoops defense, I dont think there is much of an argument that the Johnsonville area specificly is doing far worse on the economic totum pole.

Scoop, in Vics defense, He is right about the lack of any real infrastructure in or out of that area. I dont think its so much a slight by the County Seat more than it is just a logistics problem. Lake city has decent roads in and out, and it is at a minimum holding its own. Expanding Pamplico HWY will absolutly help Johnsoville

if i had a few billion to spare... and I were in charge, ive always felt that one fo the first things that i would do is take a freeway connector that goes from i95 @ florence, and loops down some how to incorporate Jville, Lake City, and Pamplico...

dream i know, but just by looking on a map, you can see how issolated Jvilleis from good rail, and roads.

On a differant (and good) note. Anyone notice the article in the Morning News abotu them reclassifying the Timrod area. Making it a historical distric of sorts. glad to see a focus on keeping and bettering the DT area...

anyway...

Cheers guys

While I tend to want to stay out of Scoops and Vics I would like to throw my two cents in..

Vic, in scoops defense, I dont think there is much of an argument that the Johnsonville area specificly is doing far worse on the economic totum pole.

Scoop, in Vics defense, He is right about the lack of any real infrastructure in or out of that area. I dont think its so much a slight by the County Seat more than it is just a logistics problem. Lake city has decent roads in and out, and it is at a minimum holding its own. Expanding Pamplico HWY will absolutly help Johnsoville

if i had a few billion to spare... and I were in charge, ive always felt that one fo the first things that i would do is take a freeway connector that goes from i95 @ florence, and loops down some how to incorporate Jville, Lake City, and Pamplico...

dream i know, but just by looking on a map, you can see how issolated Jvilleis from good rail, and roads.

On a differant (and good) note. Anyone notice the article in the Morning News abotu them reclassifying the Timrod area. Making it a historical distric of sorts. glad to see a focus on keeping and bettering the DT area...

anyway...

Cheers guys

I hear ya jj and feel free to add to this discussion. My whole point is about a lack of infrastructure. No developement = No infrastructure (not exactly, but you should understand what I mean).

Lake City isn't doing as well as you may think. Many people living in the Lake City area have to commute to Florence for decent paying jobs, some have even packed up and moved to Florence to be closer to them. Take away Nan Ya Plastics and Lake City would be in the same position that J'ville now finds itself in.

My argument isn't about Florence getting it's share of county assistance in landing jobs, it's about the seemingly lack of interest relative to job creation in the lower part of the county. I'm happy that Florence is growing as it is and as it grows one would think that the rest of the county would benefit. This hasn't been happening. In fact, the opposite affect seems to be true.

I really feel for the J'ville area because when Wellman leaves, it has nothing to fed it's local economy.

BTW, kudos to Timrod Park, had many good times there.

Looks Like Johnsonville will be getting some jobs back...

First for the Construction.... then for Operation

New Santee Cooper power plant to operate in 2012

http://www.morningnewsonline.com/midatlant...10-24-0007.html

As a note.... this will 1) require better infrastructure to the area (something desperatly needed) and 2) it will provide a significant numebr of High Paying Jobs.

Cheers

Looks Like Johnsonville will be getting some jobs back...

First for the Construction.... then for Operation

New Santee Cooper power plant to operate in 2012

http://www.morningnewsonline.com/midatlant...10-24-0007.html

As a note.... this will 1) require better infrastructure to the area (something desperatly needed) and 2) it will provide a significant numebr of High Paying Jobs.

Cheers

Good News for Pamplico, 100 good paying jobs.

5. You are correct. There has been TALK of turning it into a City Hall, however. The City-County Complex would become only a County Admin. building under that proposal.
There hasn't been any talk of the the old post office becoming a city hall. However the County has been talking about moving the courts out of the complex and building a new judical center some where in downtown. I think after the courts leave it will free up room within the building so there will be no need for either the city or the county to build a new building or by one for sometime. Also old post office is currently home to several diffrent law firms so I doubt they will be leaving anytime soon.

OLD FLORENCE CITY HALL

d8_1.jpg

THE BUILDING IN QUESTION

DSCF0051.jpg

Edited by Firefox

There hasn't been any talk of the the old post office becoming a city hall. However the County has been talking about moving the courts out of the complex and building a new judical center some where in downtown. I think after the courts leave it will free up room within the building so there will be no need for either the city or the county to build a new building or by one for sometime. Also old post office is currently home to several diffrent law firms so I doubt they will be leaving anytime soon.

OLD FLORENCE CITY HALL

d8_1.jpg

THE BUILDING IN QUESTION

DSCF0051.jpg

Nice pic of the old City Hall. Wonder how it met it's demise?

It's true that there has been talk of building a Judicial Center, but prior to that, there was discussion of the City moving into the old P.O. The city would buy the building and the attorneys, which most likely lease, would move elsewhere. For whatever reason, it didn't happen. Likewise, I have not heard must LATELY about a Judicial Center.

The City Hall was demolished for additional parking for the City-County Complex. When it was torn down, it did not look as it did in the pic though. It had been "remuddled" to look more modern. I have never seen a pic of what it looked like post-renovation, but I understand it removed a lot of the building's charm and beauty.

York County passed 1 Cent option Twice that Florence is considering.

This article gives a very compelling reason for Florence to pass the 1 cent tax.

In York County, the improvements lead to significant development, and was removed in advance of the seven year limit. It passed by a tiny 153 votes the first time. It proved so popular that a second referendum (for still more improvements) passed by 73%.

What better evidence do you need to see that this option works.

This article gives a very compelling reason for Florence to pass the 1 cent tax.

In York County, the improvements lead to significant development, and was removed in advance of the seven year limit. It passed by a tiny 153 votes the first time. It proved so popular that a second referendum (for still more improvements) passed by 73%.

Are you comparing the two plans? The York County plans consist of many road improvements throughout the entire county, while the Florence County are less expansive. There are 25 projects that will be addressed via the York tax. The Florence County plan only addresses six projects, with only one of significance in the lower part of the county.

BTW, you were supposed to present evidence that there wasn't a slight to the lowere part of the county. Just a reminder ;) .

Are you comparing the two plans? The York County plans consist of many road improvements throughout the entire county, while the Florence County are less expansive. There are 25 projects that will be addressed via the York tax. The Florence County plan only addresses six projects, with only one of significance in the lower part of the county.

BTW, you were supposed to present evidence that there wasn't a slight to the lowere part of the county. Just a reminder ;) .

What is your source for the "25 projects" figure? Please provide. Without a list of the York projects, a comparison of the two would be apples and oranges. Just one of the six Florence projects is almost 24 miles. That would be the equivalent of 4 six mile projects in York. Without a list of the York projects, no apples to apples comparison can be made.

As I have already explained, there are TWO projects with direct impact to Lower Florence County. They would be the widenening of HWy 51 from Florence to Kingsburg, and the widening of 378 from Hwy 52 to SC 41. Look at the figures below and explain how Lower Florence County is getting shortchanged.

Florence projects:

1) Widen TV Road form I-95 to Wilson Road: 3.6 miles

2) Widen Pine Needles Road from Ebenezer to Southborough Road: .8 miles

3) US 301 Bypass completion: 4 miles (an estimate in which I used a high figure)

Total: 8.4 miles

Lower Florence County Projects:

1) Widen Hwy 51 from Clauseen Road to US 378: 23.6 miles

2) Widen US 378 from HWY 52 to SC 41: 19.2 miles

Total: 42.8 miles

Timmonsville project:

1) Widen Hwy 76 from I-95 to Timmonsville: 4.13 miles (may be slightly high)

Total: 4.13 miles

First, a county typically only provides the basics in services. Things such a Sheriff patrols, the County Jail, Scrapping dirt roads, paving County roads (most roads are state owned however), clean out drainage ditches, provide trash dumps, provide a Helath Department. Those living in incorporated cities and towns actually receieve the short end of the stick, because their Police Departments provide what the Sheriff would normally do, yet they are still taxed for the Sheriff's department.

I know of no evidence that these services are provided any differently in the Lower part of the County than the upper part. The total amount of money spent is undoubtedly higher in the upper county, but it should be because that is where a disporporiate amount of the residents live. An even larger disporportion of the taxes base comes from the upper county as well. Nevertheless, the services provided are the same throughout.

There was a time when your complaint was legitimate. Back in the 1970's, the Lower County residents had to phone long distance to reach County offices. That was remedied in the late '70's. A few years later, a County Administartion Annex Building was built in Lake City. This brought the most commonly used services to a local office for the lower county.

The County Coucil Chairman and until recently the County Administrator (he is now the Economic Development Chief) both reside in Lower Florence County. Why would they do nothing if the Lower County residents were indeed being shortchanged?

Edited by vicupstate

Everytime I head to I-85 (usually on my way to Atlanta) via Highway 5 which goes through sparsely populated western York County, I am grateful that this passed. The highway has seen TREMENDOUS improvement, having been widened for a few miles and more widening occurring. There have even been improvements on the Cherokee County side.

What is your source for the "25 projects" figure? Please provide. Without a list of the York projects, a comparison of the two would be apples and oranges. Just one of the six Florence projects is almost 24 miles. That would be the equivalent of 4 six mile projects in York. Without a list of the York projects, no apples to apples comparison can be made.

As I have already explained, there are TWO projects with direct impact to Lower Florence County. They would be the widenening of HWy 51 from Florence to Kingsburg, and the widening of 378 from Hwy 52 to SC 41. Look at the figures below and explain how Lower Florence County is getting shortchanged.

Florence projects:

3) US 301 Bypass completion: 4 miles (an estimate in which I used a high figure)

Total: 8.4 miles

1) Widen Hwy 51 from Clauseen Road to US 378: 23.6 miles

2) Widen US 378 from HWY 52 to SC 41: 19.2 miles

Total: 42.8 miles

Timmonsville project:

1) Widen Hwy 76 from I-95 to Timmonsville: 4.13 miles (may be slightly high)

Total: 4.13 miles

York's 25 project list: http://www.penniesforprogress.net/2003projectList.aspx and http://www.penniesforprogress.net/projectM...bit_1_31_06.pdf

Florence projects:

4) Widen Hwy 51 from Clauseen Road to US 378: 23.6 miles (HWy 51 from Florence to Kingsburg)

Total: 32 miles

1) Widen US 378 from HWY 52 to SC 41: 19.2 miles

Total: 19.2 miles

Come on man, you know that the lower part of the county has no real infrastructure. The only four laned highway that runs thru it is US 52. Businesses require multi-laned highways and the lower part of the county has only one. The US 378 project will be a shot in the arm, but until completion of it, there isn't adequate transportation in this section of the county and you know it.

Your argument proves my point.

Edited by scoop

York's 25 project list: http://www.penniesforprogress.net/2003projectList.aspx and http://www.penniesforprogress.net/projectM...bit_1_31_06.pdf

Florence projects:

4) Widen Hwy 51 from Clauseen Road to US 378: 23.6 miles (HWy 51 from Florence to Kingsburg)

Total: 32 miles

1) Widen US 378 from HWY 52 to SC 41: 19.2 miles

Total: 19.2 miles

Come on man, you know that the lower part of the county has no real infrastructure. The only four laned highway that runs thru it is US 52. Businesses require multi-laned highways and the lower part of the county has only one. The US 378 project will be a shot in the arm, but until completion of it, there isn't adequate transportation in this section of the county and you know it.

Your argument proves my point.

Do you honestly think that more people live in FLORENCE (urban population 70,000) and drive to PAMPLICO (population 1,200) or JOHNSONVILLE (population 1,400) for work , than the reverse? I'd be willing to bet well over HALF the people from Pamplico/Johnsonville use 51 to get to work. At most 1% (probably MUCH lower) of Florence residents would use 51 (beyond Claussen Rd) to get to work.

Give me a break man.

You are right about infrastructure, that is the WHOLE POINT. That is what this sales tax will remedy!! BTW, STATE highway 51 and UNITED STATES Highway 378 are not even COUNTY responsibity. It is the state's, but leaving it strictly up to the state will prevent any widening for years, perhaps decades. The County is taking action on these because without it, there is no hope for industrial development in these areas. The COUNTY normally does not build roads. Subdivision roads are built by the developer and turned over to the county, most other roads are state owned.

378 project will be a shot in the arm, but until completion of it, there isn't adequate transportation in this section of the county and you know it.

Again, that is the point! Do you think money grows on trees? Do you think the County Administartor has a magic wand that make a four lane highway magically appear?

If this tax passes, progress can be made. If it fails, little if anything will happen on any of these projects for at least another decade. Take your pick man. Drop these excuses, and look at the true picture.

Forgive me, but I fail to realy see what you are arguing against Scoop.

Both of you agree that infrastructure is a problem

Both of you agree that without proper infrastructure, no real progress will happen

Why do you oppose expanding a road that will provide the very infrastructure that the area needs. Almost all of your business related traffic will originate in/out of florence. this means that there realy is only two roads that even truely matter in southern florence county. 52 has already been expanded and goes all the way to Lake City. 51 is the only other major road that will benifit from expanding and that is what is requested.

Again.. i am jsut trying to understand exactly what you are aruing against...

Cheers

Forgive me, but I fail to realy see what you are arguing against Scoop.

Both of you agree that infrastructure is a problem

Both of you agree that without proper infrastructure, no real progress will happen

Why do you oppose expanding a road that will provide the very infrastructure that the area needs. Almost all of your business related traffic will originate in/out of florence. this means that there realy is only two roads that even truely matter in southern florence county. 52 has already been expanded and goes all the way to Lake City. 51 is the only other major road that will benifit from expanding and that is what is requested.

Again.. i am jsut trying to understand exactly what you are aruing against...

Cheers

I'm not arguing against anything, I'm just pointing out the fallacies of his statement that the county has been fair to the lower county residents. I don't have a horse in the race (I live in Atlanta now), I just stated what I have been hearing from those residents.

Having those folks travel to Florence for employment isn't very good for the overall county. The county needs to have job centers in more than one location, IMHO. These folks need more local jobs and the county should facilitate the recruitment of jobs (businesses) to these areas. Without assistance from the county, these areas will continue to have high crime rates. And this isn't good for the county as a whole. Johnsonville has just lost Wellman, it's only large employer.

If Florence were located in the center of the county, then the situation would be different. But it is located at the northern tip.

All I'm saying is that the county has been very good to Florence (as it should), now it needs to step up to the plate and deliver more opportunities to the rest of the county. One road improvement in the lower part of the county isn't enough at this point in time, to adequately address the issues facing Lower Florence County.

MHO

Do you honestly think that more people live in FLORENCE (urban population 70,000) and drive to PAMPLICO (population 1,200) or JOHNSONVILLE (population 1,400) for work , than the reverse? I'd be willing to bet well over HALF the people from Pamplico/Johnsonville use 51 to get to work. At most 1% (probably MUCH lower) of Florence residents would use 51 (beyond Claussen Rd) to get to work.

Give me a break man.

You are right about infrastructure, that is the WHOLE POINT. That is what this sales tax will remedy!! BTW, STATE highway 51 and UNITED STATES Highway 378 are not even COUNTY responsibity. It is the state's, but leaving it strictly up to the state will prevent any widening for years, perhaps decades. The County is taking action on these because without it, there is no hope for industrial development in these areas. The COUNTY normally does not build roads. Subdivision roads are built by the developer and turned over to the county, most other roads are state owned.

Again, that is the point! Do you think money grows on trees? Do you think the County Administartor has a magic wand that make a four lane highway magically appear?

If this tax passes, progress can be made. If it fails, little if anything will happen on any of these projects for at least another decade. Take your pick man. Drop these excuses, and look at the true picture.

Seems to me that you're the one making excuses with your condesending remarks. You just give my points life with your statement that people have to travel to Florence to work. Why is this? Because they don't have any jobs close to them. Wouldn't it be great for them to have more jobs closer to home?

BTW, I like your 'money growing on trees' and 'magic wand analogy'. Get real and talk straight to the issues that I've raised.

Let em ask you something.

While, i agree, the physical dynamics of where everyhting is located can cause problems (i think Vic would agree with me on that), what would you change. As mentioned, there is realy only one road between florence and Johnsonville, and the county is making an effort with this bill to change that. What other aspect would you change? Do you recomend we expand many of the side roads as well that get very little usage?

Expanding that road is an amazing FIRST step. I also seriously doubt the county will do just this project as the county itself grows. and the county is growing.

Also, I ask you to consider the logistics of the project. the expansion of pineneedles from ebnzr to sthbrgh (.8 miles) is most assuradly needed. There are realy ony two entry points in or out of that area, and that area is where a very large chunk of the population live. that .8 miles probaly sees atleast as much traffic as pamplico highway (last night, the southborough stop light was backed up all the way PAST ebenezer, down old ebenezer, and to HWY 76. Simply put, there is a bottle neck there that needs to be corrected. Are you saying that a neighborhood that has probably twice the population of all of Johnsonville gets no improvment?

I understand compeltely that the county cant just look at florence. Thats what this plan is helping with. But to deny services to other jsut as needed areas (like pineneedls and TV road) doesnt make any sense.

Florence is the economic center of the county. I does suck that it si so far away, but like any other situation, if the economic center isnt taken care of, the surroundiung areas die as well. I want to see those areas grow, I realy do, (not to sound cheesy) but investments in the economic center are jsut as important in the long run as investments in outlying areas.

Again though, back to the root issue, considering there really is only one road in or out, what would you do diferant abotu this...

Cheers

Let em ask you something.

While, i agree, the physical dynamics of where everyhting is located can cause problems (i think Vic would agree with me on that), what would you change. As mentioned, there is realy only one road between florence and Johnsonville, and the county is making an effort with this bill to change that. What other aspect would you change? Do you recomend we expand many of the side roads as well that get very little usage?

Expanding that road is an amazing FIRST step. I also seriously doubt the county will do just this project as the county itself grows. and the county is growing.

Also, I ask you to consider the logistics of the project. the expansion of pineneedles from ebnzr to sthbrgh (.8 miles) is most assuradly needed. There are realy ony two entry points in or out of that area, and that area is where a very large chunk of the population live. that .8 miles probaly sees atleast as much traffic as pamplico highway (last night, the southborough stop light was backed up all the way PAST ebenezer, down old ebenezer, and to HWY 76. Simply put, there is a bottle neck there that needs to be corrected. Are you saying that a neighborhood that has probably twice the population of all of Johnsonville gets no improvment?

I understand compeltely that the county cant just look at florence. Thats what this plan is helping with. But to deny services to other jsut as needed areas (like pineneedls and TV road) doesnt make any sense.

Florence is the economic center of the county. I does suck that it si so far away, but like any other situation, if the economic center isnt taken care of, the surroundiung areas die as well. I want to see those areas grow, I realy do, (not to sound cheesy) but investments in the economic center are jsut as important in the long run as investments in outlying areas.

Again though, back to the root issue, considering there really is only one road in or out, what would you do diferant abotu this...

Cheers

I have no problem with the logic in your above quote, we're in agreement. I just raised the issue about the lack of developments in the lower part of the count. Hopefully you're right in you view that the county seriously wants to stimulate these depressed areas.

I get tired of going home and having to travel to Florence for any real entertainment. The drive back through Coward and Scranton isn't fun, you know they're like riding through Mayberry (with Andy, Barney and the speed traps). There hasn't been any major developement in the area since Nan Ya Plastics came on the scene, years ago.

If this measure is approved, we'll see what the county does with it.

Cheers to you.

You just give my points life with your statement that people have to travel to Florence to work. Why is this? Because they don't have any jobs close to them. Wouldn't it be great for them to have more jobs closer to home?

Is this not a "chicken and egg situation"? There are no jobs because there is no access. These is no access because there is insufficient demands for a four lane highway (ie major employment centers that require it).

My responses from the beginning have been to give YOU a valid response to those that seek to vote this down, and then complain that nothing happens in their area.

I want to see the lower part of the County (as well as Florence) prosper. The State is willing to help (via the matching funds) but the residents have to help themselves too.

As Josh stated, we DO want the same thing, but what is proposed will take a lot of money. Trust me, Florence County could devote it's entire budget to just one of these projects, and it would not be enough money.

EDIT: I apologize for my condenseding remarks. It's just that I have seen Florence County as a whole fall further and further behind for my entire lifetime. It's time to change that, and this is a big step in that direction. BTW, I grew up in Rural Florence County, but not quite South enough to be Lower Florence County, and my family still lives there in Effingham.

Edited by vicupstate

Florence is by far the major hub of the county and that is where the majority of the infrastructure money should go. Eventually, the benefits of the projects will trickle down to the lower part of the county. Unfortunately, lower Florence County is full of those with Snoops' opinion, who will vote against the one cent tax because they just don't get it.

There is a reason the Pee Dee is the armpit of the state (some would say the country), and a big part of it is the nature of the populace (poor, uneducated and unmotivated for change). Not necessarily describing you Scoop, so don't take it personally.