Florence Developments

Spartan

Florence is by far the major hub of the county and that is where the majority of the infrastructure money should go. Eventually, the benefits of the projects will trickle down to the lower part of the county. Unfortunately, lower Florence County is full of those with Snoops' opinion, who will vote against the one cent tax because they just don't get it.

There is a reason the Pee Dee is the armpit of the state (some would say the country), and a big part of it is the nature of the populace (poor, uneducated and unmotivated for change). Not necessarily describing you Scoop, so don't take it personally.

I don't take what you say personally because none of the derrogatory terms describes neither me nor those whom I have talked to about this issue. Snoops, you call them? Trickle down, you say? They've been waiting for a trickle down affect for quite some time now. We'll see if that happens should the tax measure is voted up.

BTW, calling them Snoops doesn't help to build relationships with those in opposition. The Pee Dee is what it is because of it's leadership's inability to build relationships and concensus throughtout the region.

Flo,

I think you will find there are more educated peple in areas like Jvile and Lak city than you are implying. While I disagree with scoop on the fundamental reasons on WHY there is the disparity between Florence and Johnsonville, I do think many people (even in the lower part) will realize that this is (if done properly) a very positve first step in getting more developement to move in that direction. Personally (and this si jsut personally) I think an expressway that connects to i95 in florence would do better at bringing jobs further south than an expanded road, but i also understand that there is niether the demand, or the money right now. But this is a very good first step.

Asking for services like this, and then not wanting to help pay for it is dumb. The local government is NOT a money tree. they get the money from two sources, state, and the county population. If WE wont pay for our own services, who will.

That being said... i think that if it does pass, we need to keep an eye on it to ensure that the money is spent properly.

Cheers

BTW, calling them Snoops doesn't help to build relationships with those in opposition. The Pee Dee is what it is because of it's leadership's inability to build relationships and concensus throughtout the region.

You should read things more carefully... his words were: "Unfortunately, lower Florence County is full of those with Snoops' opinion..." That was clearly a typo that should be "Scoop's." He was referring to people who share YOUR opinion. Otherwise, that sentence would make no sense.

You should read things more carefully... his words were: "Unfortunately, lower Florence County is full of those with Snoops' opinion..." That was clearly a typo that should be "Scoop's." He was referring to people who share YOUR opinion. Otherwise, that sentence would make no sense.

I only read what he wrote, but thanks for making the correction for him.

You're right Spartan, that was a typo. I need a spellchecker.

I don't wish to paint the entire lower part of the county as uneducated. But many are, and I'm betting there will be a direct correlation between low education level, and those who vote against the tax. And a lot of that will be related to short term economics. Unfortunately the long term benefits will be ignored.

And as I stated before, these projects need to get done and will get done (why this is something that is even put to a vote is beyond me, but that's another thread). The one-cent tax will be the cheapest option for taxpayers given the generous, one-time match. Other counties are foaming at the mouth to receive such a match.

Failure of this to pass will be a disgrace for Florence County. But I'm still optimistic that voters have enough common sense to vote in favor.................

^^ It is called TheTrust Building. I think it is partially occupied. You might be able to find the owner through the Florence County website. If not, you can call or visit the Tax Assessor's office.

WaMu adding jobs to Florence location

Good news, a top white collar employer is adding 250 jobs.

Edited by vicupstate

The Sales Tax passed easily. This is excellent news. Maybe Florence COunty has turned a corner.

BTW, Greenwood County also approved a 7 year 1 cent sales tax 2 to 1. Oconee defeated the same 56-44.

Horry County approved TWO one cent sales taxes. Sales taxes will rise from 5 to 8 cents (a third cent is from the statewide increase).

sales tax passed. i'm not sure if this is good or not for the region. i guess i just dont trust the politicians who keep telling us it was good for us and the people who gave money for the advertising that told us it was good for us to vote on it. i wonder what do they get out of it? i would never give money to help a tax increase pass, i just dont understand whats going on w/ that. well , i kinda do. but anyway, we will be blessed with another penny sales tax increase in july so we will go up to 8%. does Florence need the roads? sure. but i dont like lies like 7,000 new jobs and stuff like that.

Well, in situations like this. Yes, you have to be careful with what the Poloticians do with those funds. But again, thats were we as the citizens come in. Our duties dont always end at the voting booth. If we dont want our elected officials to squander it, then we need to keep them accountable. Watch them and if it looks like they are abusing the funds... call them on it.

There are things we can do to keep abuses from happening. it jsut involves us being involved to.

Cheers

sales tax passed. i'm not sure if this is good or not for the region. i guess i just dont trust the politicians who keep telling us it was good for us and the people who gave money for the advertising that told us it was good for us to vote on it. i wonder what do they get out of it? i would never give money to help a tax increase pass, i just dont understand whats going on w/ that. well , i kinda do. but anyway, we will be blessed with another penny sales tax increase in july so we will go up to 8%. does Florence need the roads? sure. but i dont like lies like 7,000 new jobs and stuff like that.

I for one am glad this passed. Nobody likes any more taxes, but I'm ecstatic these projects are going to get completed. Considering York County citizens voted to extend the tax increase, it's obvious that they saw the positive results of the tax on their county.

I don't know where the 7000 jobs number came from. I'm assuming many of them are the construction jobs for these projects, and some may be from the additional businesses that will open up in some of these areas. This is especially so for the 301 bypass, which will connect Pamplico Hwy to 501 and I-95.

Speeding up the process to approve the permit to demolish unsafe, unsalvageable, and irrepairable structures would save necessary time and money to begin restoring immediate areas.

The process is often slowed down by "history buffs" or "tree huggers" who want to save an outhouse becasue this important person partied here or this tall dead rotting tree is where the natives played egg toss.

If it is worth bolting the ruined process to demolish things that will benefit the local community long term, go for it when done legally.

Speeding up the process to approve the permit to demolish unsafe, unsalvageable, and irrepairable structures would save necessary time and money to begin restoring immediate areas.

The process is often slowed down by "history buffs" or "tree huggers" who want to save an outhouse becasue this important person partied here or this tall dead rotting tree is where the natives played egg toss.

If it is worth bolting the ruined process to demolish things that will benefit the local community long term, go for it when done legally.

This discussion probably belongs in the Florence Forum. Can one of the administrators handle moving this?

Heftier penalties for owners failing to apply for a permit are sorely needed, especially for Florence, which has an abysmal record of preservation/restoration.

Recently, I drove through town and was shocked and saddened that the 301 Drive-in had been leveled. Although it may have been legally done, I was surprised that the owners weren't compelled to keep this local fixture. Florence has two more old drive-ins--let's hope they will garner some semblance of protection now that 301 is gone, despite the fact that they probably don't fit the definition of "historic" or even "old" in traditional preservation circles. They ARE vintage, though, and irreplaceable.

Welcome to the Forum, fupaladin! Glad to see homesick South Carolinians keeping up with their home state. :shades:

OLD FLORENCE CITY HALL

d8_1.jpg

Very nice building that looks more like a building in a city or town for upstate South Carolina. Does anyone know how long this city hall stood before it met the wrecking ball? It's a pity it no longer exists...

You can bet that had this building been in Savannah, Charleston or Wilmington it would have never been destroyed. Instead it would have been restored to its former glory and used for office space or such.

Wow! This (new hospital tower) is a beautiful high rise addition (the most beautiful I've ever seen in Florence to date) that certainly makes Florence look good...The parking garage is a most interesting design. Any chance of future Florence high rises building up 25 stories or 260 ft? which would really knock my socks off to see...

Edited by Zahc