Florence Developments

Spartan

And you would quickly go broke....

" If I had the finances, what I personally would do is buy one of the delapidated lots downtown, raze it, and then build a 5 story streat front friendly venue... first floor or two consists of middle to high end shops/reseraunts, mayby a borders, top 3/4 floors would consist of middle to luxury condos/apartments. In other words, create a destination. "

Just sharing some news about some expanding local businesses.

Florence-based CPA firm absorbs Charleston entity

FLORENCE -- WebsterRogers, a regional CPA and consulting firm based in Florence, announced Wednesday that Mo
Edited by jjoshjl

The library building itself is a beautiful building. The way its site is arranged is not. Whoever came up with the site plan for that building did not think about its place in the urban environment. It has a rather large lawn out front, but no plaza or shade, or reason to go out there. It caters to the automobile. That is why I don't like it. Spartanburg's is the same way. Our library is a great building, and though it is built closer to the street, the "main" entrance requires you to ascend about 30 steps, and its not one of those grand staircases like on the State House in Columbia. Nobody uses it because they designed it for the automobile.

Florence needs to remember that if they really want downtown to come alive, they need to rebuild it for the pedestrians, and not their cars. That is what will make it successful.

I have no use for Senator Leatherman. He has a tendacy to meddle in places where he doesn't belong.

Anyway, I look forward to see your pictures... Please take some of the library!

The front of the library is actually the Dargan St side facing the Bruce & Lee Foundation offices

301 Bypass entering 3rd stage.

When complete it will create a bypass from palmetto street (301) near Mcloed Hospital to 3rd loop/52.

In the current issue of The News Journal (the one you get in the blue plastic)

Cheers

That will be 327 by the flea market to 3rd Loop and Irby. It will connect the 2 parts of Freedom Blvd.

Pamplico to build new library; design resembles Florence's new building

Great news for this small Florence County town. For the forumers that have been debating the architecture of Florence's library, you should all like this one. It copies the classic architecture of the Florence library, but is built up to the street.

This further shows the impact of the Drs. Bruce & Lee Foundation. The establishment of which is probably the best thing to happen to the area since McLeod became a 'true' regional medical center (in the late '70's)

Beautiful replica of Florence Main, which is going to make Pamplico, birth hometown of my mother, even more charming & popular. Of all the Southern towns I've been to in my life, Pamplico best fits the small southern town imagery I've read about in so many books and seen depicted in Hollywood films...esp. when I think of "To Kill a Mocking Bird" with handsome Gregory Peck...That film always makes me dream of home...when everything was so new, exciting, and innocent, and the very thing we were told to fear was nothing to fear at all and was really all made up...

Just More Positive Economic News for Florence

First Reliance Bank continued its streak as one of the fastest-growing businesses in South Carolina on Wednesday with the release of second-quarter earnings showing remarkable growth...

http://www.morningnewsonline.com/midatlant...07-20-0005.html

Cheers

Edited by jjoshjl

Also Appears to be an RFP for some Street Scaping in DT florence

CITY OF FLORENCE, SC REQUEST FOR QUALIFICATIONS NO. 2006-02 PEDESTRIAN STREETSCAPE ORNAMENTAL IRONWORKS

:

:

Project Scope: The City of Florence is seeking to select a local artisan who shall assist the City in the design, construction and installation of metal and iron works for use and display in pedestrian streetscapes. The Chase Street streetscape portion will be approximately 500 feet in length. The total width of street property is 70 feet with approximately 23 feet of Right-Of-Way on each side of the curb.

:

:

Link: http://www.cityofflorence.com/news/index.html

Cheers

Edited by jjoshjl

Every little peice helps... I believe this is the area accross from Home Depot and Ge...

Florence planning commission to hear building proposal from Kohl's

http://www.morningnewsonline.com/midatlant...07-24-0009.html

A follow up to this is that the commission did expand the allocated lot size for Kohls... I know its a little more suburban than we would want, but, the more chain stores that are here, the more chain stores will come here.. and hopefully some will be directed DT...

Cheers

Edited by jjoshjl

well, the area they are talking about is pretty run down overall so yeh, it will help. I love the idea that they will be putting a decent size park there. This will ceartainly help the area if nothing else. Also, the fact that very little has realy been built out there in a while (new home consturction) will help as well. Get some new faces.

Someone was asking about the B&B in Florence (I believe on Kuker St) and was asking for some info on the home. I know that up until VERY recently it was used as the fraternity house for KA at FMU. Unless they built a house right next door that is an exact replica then that is the recent history on the home. Looks like it is in MUCH better shape now.

Nice piece of land jsut opened up for sale... Maybe we can get something other than a manufacturing type industry at the site. By the way, if they sell it, Pepsi is staying, jsut moving down 76 towards 95 some... They want to build a larger facility... larger facility = more jobs :)

One of the most prominent pieces of property in Florence is up for sale.

http://www.morningnewsonline.com/midatlant...08-02-0002.html

Cheers

And in other good news...

"Welcome to Moes!!!" (love that place by the way... very very excited)

Eateries come to Pee Dee

FLORENCE -- Construction is under way on two new restaurants at the Florence Mall, and a new Starbucks Coffee location will be built soon.

http://www.morningnewsonline.com/midatlant...08-01-0003.html

And in other other news...

FLORENCE -- One of the most anticipated restaurant openings in Florence in recent years is coming soon.

http://www.morningnewsonline.com/midatlant...08-02-0008.html

cheers

Yeh, tend to agree the new website is a little on the poor quality side. but that withstanding, the information it is providing is still sound. I ussually corroborate the infomration if i can before posting it. Crappy as you may think it is, and it does leave a little to be desired, im not just posting it for people in florence, im posting the infomration for people who are well outside of the florence range. People in charlotte are now comenting on things said in the Florence Morning News ;) ...

Just trying to do my part to raise awarenes of a city trying to break out of its past....

Yeh yeh yeh...

I know...

Im an idealist..

Cheers