Sports in Charlotte

5 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

So what’s the likelihood that the ACC will be able to stop FSU from leaving now that they’ve leveled a Lawsuit?

I dont know but the ACC wanted a home game so to speak.

""The Atlantic Coast Conference filed suit against the Florida State University board of trustees in Mecklenburg County court this week in a bid to stop the school from exiting the ACC — and to ensure any legal battles are decided in a North Carolina courtroom.

The 119-page suit was filed Dec. 21 in Mecklenburg Superior Court. The ACC also is seeking to have the case moved to the N.C. Business Court, which handles complex business cases. The suit was filed for the ACC by attorneys in the Charlotte office of Womble Bond Dickinson.

At issue is FSU’s frustration over the Charlotte-based ACC’s 20-year media rights agreement through 2036 that has left the 15-member conference lagging in revenue compared with the SEC and Big Ten. FSU openly contemplated leaving the ACC last summer; that tension boiled over this month when the school’s football team finished the season with an undefeated record but was left out of the four-team College Football Playoff.""

ACC files suit in Mecklenburg County to block Florida State exit - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, carolinaboy said:

Would love to see the ACC implode personally. FSU bolts for sure. Clemson probably and I wouldn't doubt seeing Miami and Notre Dame follow suit. I hope UNC gets an invite from the Big Ten and the NC Legislature makes them stay in a watered-down ACC. That would be beautiful.

So I take this to mean you don’t like the way the ACC is being run?  Think they’ll renegotiate their Revenue Sharing Agreement to keep Clemson and FSU?

Just now, Hushpuppy321 said:

So I take this to mean you don’t like the way the ACC is being run?  Think they’ll renegotiate their Revenue Sharing Agreement to keep Clemson and FSU?

Special Mention - So has Charlotte Sports Foundation just given up on trying to lure back the CIAA from Baltimore?

15 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Special Mention - So has Charlotte Sports Foundation just given up on trying to lure back the CIAA from Baltimore?

No, I just don't like the ACC or any school that is part of it (especially UNCheat).

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

speaking of the ACC many (most) of their sports championships are in NC and many in the Charlotte area  including the ACC Baseball championship.

From the Chatham Journal (of Pittsboro)

The full 2024 ACC Spring Championships schedule is listed below.

Men’s and Women’s Tennis – April 17-21, 2024
Cary Tennis Park (Cary, N.C.)

Women’s Golf – April 18-21, 2024
Porters Neck Country Club (Wilmington, N.C.)

Men’s Golf – April 19-22, 2024
Charlotte Country Club (Charlotte, N.C.)

Women’s Lacrosse – April 21, 24, 26 & 28, 2024
April 21 – First Round (Campus Sites)
April 24, 26 & 28 - American Legion Memorial Stadium (Charlotte, N.C.)

Men’s Lacrosse – May 3 & 5, 2024
American Legion Memorial Stadium (Charlotte, N.C.)

Softball – May 8-11, 2024
Duke Softball Stadium (Durham, N.C.)
Host: Duke University

M/W Outdoor Track & Field – May 9-11, 2024
George C. Griffin Track (Atlanta, Ga.)
Host: Georgia Tech

Rowing – May 17-18, 2024
Lake Wheeler (Raleigh, N.C.)
Hosts: Duke University and University of North Carolina

Baseball – May 21-26, 2024
Truist Field (Charlotte, N.C.)

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

Recent article in CBJ about the Bowl Game played at UNCC (Jerry Richardson Stadium).  Do you all think it’s feasible for them to host future bowl games once the Stadium Expansions are completed?  Just curious because I’m not sure if that’d be possible with the City already hosting an annual Bowl Game Uptown.  Other peer cities host more than one Bowl Game?

I think this happening in the future would be awesome for the College and City but I have my doubts.  Just researched and it seems like older, larger, more established Stadiums don’t regularly host Bowl Games - looking at you Carter-Finley and Kenan Smith Stadiums…

Edited by Hushpuppy321

I definitely think they’re going to push to host more bowl games on a regular basis (if they can) and aim for those type of conference match ups that won’t warrant a 75k stadium. An expanded 30k JRS will fill that void and provide a nice sweet spot for certain conference matchups. With some espn offices in Charlotte, hosting bowl games here probably saves them a lot of money too. 

Speaking of which, Dukes Mayo is today and I see a lot of people taking pictures at LU. Being the ACC HQ there, would be cool to have a store or museum located on site. Or a sports bar/restaurant. You get a lot of visitors coming there to take pics of the flagpoles with the schools but other than that there’s nothing to do lol. Really need that retail to pickup there (dead horse beaten). 

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz
  • Like 3

On 12/22/2023 at 8:36 PM, carolinaboy said:

Would love to see the ACC implode personally. FSU bolts for sure. Clemson probably and I wouldn't doubt seeing Miami and Notre Dame follow suit. I hope UNC gets an invite from the Big Ten and the NC Legislature makes them stay in a watered-down ACC. That would be beautiful.

I don't think you understand what's about to really happen.  The current model is unsustainable, even for the SEC and B1G and only 1 "power" conference will exist in 10-15 years with a bunch of divisions driven by CFB brands, meaning a lot of teams will be left out, even teams currently in the SEC and B1G.  When the NCAA didn't get a hold of coaches salary, NIL, etc.....the implosion started, the current collegiate model is history.

• Thanks 1

On 12/27/2023 at 9:43 AM, jthomas said:

I know FSU's discontent has been brewing for a while, but I think the hurt feelings from their outrageous CFP snub are clouding their judgement. With the CFP going to 12 teams next year, they have a better chance of making it as an 11-1 or 12-0 ACC team than as a 9-3 SEC or B1G team. And I agree that there's a very real chance that the SEC and B1G don't want them - what would they bring to the table that those conferences don't already have? Obviously the revenue gap to those conferences is significant, but it has not hindered FSU's success to date.

I still think the current path of college athletics is completely unsustainable and likely to completely implode within the next decade. IMO, those in charge are following the NASCAR mistake of destroying the essence what the makes the sport special (in this case, regional rivalries) in search of a broader national appeal.

The B1G is overrated and so was the SEC this year as NIL and the transfer portal is creating a more level playing field.  To be honest, the SEC's real dominant success is driven by one guy, Nick Saban and now has mentee, Kirby Smart.  It's always had a strong fanbase and very good teams, but the illusion of total conference (bias) dominance is due to one person, Nick Saban.  FSU's problem was the same as Miami's with maintaining success over the years is that they didn't get the right coach.  I too think the entire model is going to hell in a hand basket soon, no way the networks don't turn this thing into NFL lite, they can't keep up this charade of being anything associated academics.

Edited by Durhamite

How did I miss - A Professional Woman’s Soccer Team setting up shop in Charlotte?  This is a good thing - anyone know how this will fare in light of the Women’s Team (NWSL) in Cary having issues?  Was/is there attendance good during the last couple seasons?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

How did I miss - A Professional Woman’s Soccer Team setting up shop in Charlotte?  This is a good thing - anyone know how this will fare in light of the Women’s Team (NWSL) in Cary having issues?  Was/is there attendance good during the last couple seasons?

The Courage are having issues? I know they have some issues with the coach (?), but I don't recall them struggling on the field or to attract fans. In fact, they are one of the more successful NWSL teams. 

Am I missing something? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rufus said:

The Courage are having issues? I know they have some issues with the coach (?), but I don't recall them struggling on the field or to attract fans. In fact, they are one of the more successful NWSL teams. 

Am I missing something? 

Oh - I guess the issues were with the coach and sexual coercion, etc.  Would be cool once things are established to have a Courage vs Charlotte Ladies soccer friendly.  

I went too (have seasons). That kid Patterson had what must've been the game of his life in those last few minutes.

It's a shame their attendance is so poor. It's a nice facility and used to have some pretty good teams and attendance when they were in the A10. 

The football moves and subsequent C-USA conference decline really hurt basketball in my view. But I'm not a football fan 

Let's hope this year's American conference move helps to bring the level of recruiting and competition back up. FAU was certainly a great story last year!

Queens is now in a low level D1 conference and their games are great to bring kids to. Pretty low key. I try to go to several of their games each year 

Charlotte is going to have a Major League Rugby team. I don't use the word "franchise," because this team will be something of a developmental squad for the US National Team even though they'll play an MLR schedule. World Rugby is apparently kicking in funding to try to help make the US National Team a little more competitive by the time the US hosts the Rugby World Cup in 2031.

Given the league's attendance history, Memorial Stadium would be a perfect venue for this team, but I have heard they're planning to play their first season in Bank of America Stadium. I don't know if Memorial Stadium was booked or if they have some intelligence that Charlotte will be able to make the lower bowl look full at BOA. I'm personally very excited about the team, albeit skeptical about BOA as a venue. Hopefully Charlotte can prove my pessimism wrong!

https://www.americasrugbynews.com/2024/01/06/world-rugby-backed-usa-development-team-to-join-mlr/

Edited by RugbyPike#11
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, RugbyPike#11 said:

Charlotte is going to have a Major League Rugby team. I don't use the word "franchise," because this team will be something of a developmental squad for the US National Team even thought they'll play an MLR schedule. World Rugby is apparently kicking in funding to try to help make the US National Team a little more competitive by the time the US hosts the Rugby World Cup in 2021.

Given the league's attendance history, Memorial Stadium would be a perfect venue for this team, but I have heard they're planning to play their first season in Bank of America Stadium. I don't know if Memorial Stadium was booked or if they have some intelligence that Charlotte will be able to make the lower bowl look full at BOA. I'm personally very excited about the team, albeit skeptical about BOA as a venue. Hopefully Charlotte can prove my pessimism wrong!

https://www.americasrugbynews.com/2024/01/06/world-rugby-backed-usa-development-team-to-join-mlr/

Very interesting turn of events indeed.  I’d still be shocked if they play at BOA because average attendance numbers for MLR are so low, like around 2,500 - I wonder if Tepper is involved since his team owns the Stadium.  

• Like 2