Sports in Charlotte

As a Canadian immigrant, this warms my heart...

"Charlotte is about to become one of the southernmost cities with a dedicated facility to a traditionally northern sport: curling.
A new curling center in Charlotte on Old Statesville Road just north of Sunset Road, and plans to start construction this month.
The 16,500 sq. ft. building would house four curling sheets, as well as a kitchen, locker rooms, and a warm area for people to watch. 
Two donors within the club have agreed to pay for the land and part of the construction. The club says it has enough money to open the doors in the fall.
It will be one of the world's southernmost curling facilities (A curling center in Tempe, Ariz. is set to open this month. Its latitude is about two degrees further south than Charlotte)."

• Like 3

Gonna be a massive year for charlotte sports this season (Knights) and next (Hornets, Panters). With the Knights posting incredible pre-season sales, the Panthers amazing season (they'll easily sell out every game), and the 'Hornets/Bobcats' looking likely to make the playoffs this season (the East is SOOO laughably bad), its going to be a good 2014-2015.

I'm usually all for the Bobcats making the playoffs, but doing it this year is a mistake. The East is so awful that they're almost making the playoffs by default, but this was the year teams either needed to make an actual championship push or tank for the lottery. Doing what Charlotte is doing, making the playoffs as a low seed only to lose the first-round series, just extends the mediocrity of the team for at least another year. This is shaping up to the strongest draft class in a decade, and the Bobcats pick is going to fall just outside the really good players. It's depressing.

I'm usually all for the Bobcats making the playoffs, but doing it this year is a mistake. The East is so awful that they're almost making the playoffs by default, but this was the year teams either needed to make an actual championship push or tank for the lottery. Doing what Charlotte is doing, making the playoffs as a low seed only to lose the first-round series, just extends the mediocrity of the team for at least another year. This is shaping up to the strongest draft class in a decade, and the Bobcats pick is going to fall just outside the really good players. It's depressing.

Couldn't agree with you more, but unfortunately there really isn't much they could do other than blatantly tank the season. This draft class is ridiculously strong and I am confident they can still get a solid player. They have been steadily improving, and I think they will continue to, but at this point the season is lost in both directions. It is just so pathetic how bad the east is.

I strongly disagree with this sentiment. While this year's draft class appears strong, nobody is a sure fire next LeBron or Kobe. Season ticket holders such as myself are tired of mediocrity with this franchise. There is always going to be some kid in a given draft that everyone may want or think is a savior of their franchise. Continued losing seasons hoping for a high draft pick will never get you anywhere. And it's not like the Bobcats have been stellar at drafting either, though I would say Kemba is arguably the best player the team has drafted. Bring on the playoffs. If nothing else, it will actually provide some April excitement for a change. Along with hope for the future. 

Edited by wend28

Couldn't agree with you more, but unfortunately there really isn't much they could do other than blatantly tank the season. This draft class is ridiculously strong and I am confident they can still get a solid player. They have been steadily improving, and I think they will continue to, but at this point the season is lost in both directions. It is just so pathetic how bad the east is.

Honestly I couldn't disagree more. With the remaining 18 games left in the season, the bobcats have the best strength of schedule in the league. They are two games back on Brooklyn and have a real shot to pass them, as Brooklyn has a pretty difficult schedule. If we manager to pass Brooklyn we match up with the Raptors who we match up VERY well against and actually swept this season. We could get to the second round and match up with whoever we play.

Yes for teams that are not "draft challenged" tank mode seems like a good idea. However, this city could not take another losing season before the Hornets changeover. IT JUST COULDN'T. Instill a winning culture, use your owed draftpicks as an asset, and recruit more talent. If we are winners this year, then we have a better shot of signing free agents next year.

Also, to call this team mediocre is just inane. We have hung tough, and now that we have MKG back and Al Jefferson playing All-NBA ball we are above.500 since the allstar break

Edited by Guest

I strongly disagree with this sentiment. While this year's draft class appears strong, nobody is a sure fire next LeBron or Kobe. Season ticket holders such as myself are tired of mediocrity with this franchise. There is always going to be some kid in a given draft that everyone may want or think is a savior of their franchise. Continued losing seasons hoping for a high draft pick will never get you anywhere. And it's not like the Bobcats have been stellar at drafting either, though I would say Kemba is arguably the best player the team has drafted. Bring on the playoffs. If nothing else, it will actually provide some April excitement for a change. Along with hope for the future. 

Honestly I couldn't disagree more. With the remaining 18 games left in the season, the bobcats have the best strength of schedule in the league. They are two games back on Brooklyn and have a real shot to pass them, as Brooklyn has a pretty difficult schedule. If we manager to pass Brooklyn we match up with the Raptors who we match up VERY well against and actually swept this season. We could get to the second round and match up with whoever we play.

Yes for teams that are not "draft challenged" tank mode seems like a good idea. However, this city could not take another losing season before the Hornets changeover. IT JUST COULDN'T. Instill a winning culture, use your owed draftpicks as an asset, and recruit more talent. If we are winners this year, then we have a better shot of signing free agents next year.

All of this^, times a million.  We can get to 6 and beat the Raptors (or heck, just be competitive and make it a fun series).  I'll take that over the hope that we land a decent lottery pick.  We finished DFL 2 years in a row and still couldn't get a first overall pick.

All of this^, times a million.  We can get to 6 and beat the Raptors (or heck, just be competitive and make it a fun series).  I'll take that over the hope that we land a decent lottery pick.  We finished DFL 2 years in a row and still couldn't get a first overall pick.

If the Bobcats get to the 6th seed or higher, they have a very good chance at getting to the next round. Now THAT would be fun. I don't think they would beat the Heat or Pacers by any means in a 7 game series, but I could see them pulling out a game or two. 

I wasn't necessarily calling the team mediocre, although a 30-34 record shows they're closer to that than good. And Al Jefferson turned out to be a great pick-up and a building block for a bright future (MKG might be another story). But I think it makes more sense to miss the playoffs this year, try to get a legitimate franchise player in the draft, and build the new Hornets around him. Instead they're going to be starting this revamped franchise with basically the same team that's going to finish around .500 this year.

I wasn't necessarily calling the team mediocre, although a 30-34 record shows they're closer to that than good. And Al Jefferson turned out to be a great pick-up and a building block for a bright future (MKG might be another story). But I think it makes more sense to miss the playoffs this year, try to get a legitimate franchise player in the draft, and build the new Hornets around him. Instead they're going to be starting this revamped franchise with basically the same team that's going to finish around .500 this year.

MKG is not a different story. With him on the floor we give up 94 points per game and are above .500, without him 102 ppg and below .500. His energy and his ability to do the things that don't neccessarily fill up the stat sheets is irreplacable.

I think you're overlooking two important tidbits... 1) They have Detroit's 1st round pick this year as long as it's not top 8 and Portland's pick which is likely in low 20s for a very deep draft. 2) The Bobcats/Hornets have a TON of cap room in the next few years to utilize. All the bad contracts that they've had since seemingly day one are gone. They don't need to rely on the draft to pick someone that MAY be good. They can spend money on someone they KNOW is good. Just imagine this team with another player of Al Jefferson's caliber. They are instantly a top 3-4 team in the East. 

I think you're overlooking two important tidbits... 1) They have Detroit's 1st round pick this year as long as it's not top 8 and Portland's pick which is likely in low 20s for a very deep draft. 2) The Bobcats/Hornets have a TON of cap room in the next few years to utilize. All the bad contracts that they've had since seemingly day one are gone. They don't need to rely on the draft to pick someone that MAY be good. They can spend money on someone they KNOW is good. Just imagine this team with another player of Al Jefferson's caliber. They are instantly a top 3-4 team in the East. 

And with us already being playoff caliber, we can sway free angents to want to come here. We also CERTAINLY have the coach of the future. He's a gem.

Bad (ish) news for Charlotte, and really bad news for old-school ACC fans like me:

ACC finalizing details to play its tournament at Barclays Center http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-basketball/news/20140314/acc-tournament-barclays-center-2017/

The ACC's move to New York has been viewed within the conference as inevitable, as it's expected that the league will rotate through New York and North Carolina locations after 2017. (Maryland's departure to the Big Ten makes Washington D.C. a less natural place to hold the tournament.)

Edited by kermit

It is a good move for the conference, I just hope it eventually comes back to Charlotte (over Greensboro).  If a future ACC Network ends up locating Charlotte, I'm sure we will be in that NY-NC rotation. With Maryland leaving the league, I'm not a big fan of the tourney being in DC in a couple years.

Edited by MilZ

On Tuesday, tournament officials and the PGA will announce a contract extension for the Wells Fargo Championship golf tournament through 2019. The 2017 event will take place in Wilmington as they prep for the PGA Championship at Quail Hollow in August of that year. The event is one of the more popular non-major events throughout the golf season and will take place in Charlotte at Quail Hollow Country Club, April 29-May 4th this year. 

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/queen_city_agenda/2014/03/wells-fargo-championship-staying-through-2019.html?page=all

Edited by wend28
  • Like 1

My guess is that Greensboro will still continue to host the ACC tourney more than any city, however with additional schools the city will host it less than it has in the past. Greensboro just treats the ACC like gold and its where the conference is headquartered. The atmosphere there during the tourney just hasn't been duplicated anywhere else no matter how big and sophisticated some of the other cities are and think thats the problem. In larger cities its just another event. In Greensboro its the event. I do think Charlotte will continue to host ACC football championships more than any other city.

Edited by cityboi

TOTALLY UNREALISTIC POST OF THE DAY:

The NHL is looking at expansion (spoiler, Seattle and Las Vegas are the front runners). http://www.pitch.com/FastPitch/archives/2014/03/24/nhl-looking-to-expand-kansas-city-of-course-is-not-on-the-list

Despite its inveterate Southerness Charlotte really isn't a bad hockey town:

• the Checkers are averaging 6,000 plus for minor league games -- there last six weekend games have been 'reported' to be sellouts at 8,100 (the Checkers only open the lower bowl for games now -- they had a couple 13,000+ games last year). 16,000 looks like decent attendance for the NHL these days.
  • A new major league team would take a bit of sting out of the $41 million dollar upgrades to the Cablebox
  • How many New Yawkers have moved down here in the past two decades?
  • The popularity of hockey is growing while the NBA (not so much).... http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/nhl-selling-more-arenas-nba-225020461--nhl.html
  • Basically every team in the NHL makes the 'playoffs' every year so the Cablebox will have activity through late May.
  • I want major league hockey here (<-- clearly the most important reason!)

Yes, I do understand the myriad reasons why it will never happen. I just wanted to post this as part of my "permanent record"

• Like 1

TOTALLY UNREALISTIC POST OF THE DAY:

The NHL is looking at expansion (spoiler, Seattle and Las Vegas are the front runners). http://www.pitch.com/FastPitch/archives/2014/03/24/nhl-looking-to-expand-kansas-city-of-course-is-not-on-the-list

Despite its inveterate Southerness Charlotte really isn't a bad hockey town:

• the Checkers are averaging 6,000 plus for minor league games -- there last six weekend games have been 'reported' to be sellouts at 8,100 (the Checkers only open the lower bowl for games now -- they had a couple 13,000+ games last year). 16,000 looks like decent attendance for the NHL these days.
  • A new major league team would take a bit of sting out of the $41 million dollar upgrades to the Cablebox
  • How many New Yawkers have moved down here in the past two decades?
  • The popularity of hockey is growing while the NBA (not so much).... http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/nhl-selling-more-arenas-nba-225020461--nhl.html
  • Basically every team in the NHL makes the 'playoffs' every year so the Cablebox will have activity through late May.
  • I want major league hockey here (<-- clearly the most important reason!)

Yes, I do understand the myriad reasons why it will never happen. I just wanted to post this as part of my "permanent record"

Definitely agree that hockey is becoming more popular in the US....and apart from the Hurricanes being very close (one of the main reasons this will probably never happen), I would love to see a NHL team here.

As a side note, the Checkers rank 8th out of 30th in average attendance (averaging 6200) and 6th in total attendance (210k). Not bad at alllll

Edited by Jayvee

perhaps we could just 'acquire' the Hurricanes just like we got Progress Energy....

NCSU wants the Canes out of their suburban castle anyway. Honestly I would attend 3-4 Canes games a year IF I could get there without driving. Unfortunately it is impossible to get from Raleigh Amtrak out to the burbs. Consequently I have traveled to 4 NHL games out of state already this year.