FuturEBR

richyb83

Glad they are pushing public transit.

I am very particular about that sort of thing though....there is talk of a street car on Nicholson, which I think would be a mistake if they do it like Memphis or New Orleans has. I think street cars should be independent of vehicular traffic, and timed with the traffic lights so that it does not depend on a clear road to service the community. Placing it in a median or along side a road would be ideal- like in Houston.

Still, there is no way we can get out of gridlock without getting Highway 61 and 190 moving. That may mean widening it, installing smarter traffic lights, or overpasses. Those routes also need sidewalks and covered bus stops. I'd rather adjust the existing infrastructure before we decide that we need new highways.

Independent streetcar lines are quicker. Although the Metro rail in Houston relies on a clear road.

61 and 190 need to be raised to expressway standards, remove some lights, add some overpasses. Improved sidewalks and bus stops on Florida would be ideal, not so much on Airline. Maybe express buses that run on Airline. Hope we never get a new freeway.

• 2 weeks later...

Was not able to locate last week's article...this weeks story won't go away.

Planners Push Rail for Baton Rouge/ New Orleans "Super Region"

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/latest/Future-BR-Planners-push-rail-for-BR-New-Orleans-super-region.html

There's no demand for rail nor is there a desire for the yearly upkeep and maintenance for rail between Nola and BR.

There's no demand for rail nor is there a desire for the yearly upkeep and maintenance for rail between Nola and BR.

I wasn't aware that you conducted a formal study of transportation demand in South Louisiana.

Anyway, I drive from BR to NOLA every week and I would love to take a train rather than pay ridiculous gas prices every week. I'm sure many others agree with me.

I am sure if someone did the math, it costs more to maintain and construct I-10 and Airline Highway than it would to build and operate a rail system. Not to mention, the railway would create a huge economic boom for the inner cities and allow for more dense walkable communities.

I for one would love to be able to hop on a train when going to the Nola Airport rather than driving and paying outrageous prices for park and ride.

I am sure if someone did the math, it costs more to maintain and construct I-10 and Airline Highway than it would to build and operate a rail system. Not to mention, the railway would create a huge economic boom for the inner cities and allow for more dense walkable communities.

First: you're SURE if someone did the math? So you're not sure. Plus you think you're going to move the same amount of people and cargo on rail? No I think not. 

Secondly: what does walkable communities have to do with the lack of desire for south Louisiana residents to pay for the yearly upkeep of rail??

I for one would love to be able to hop on a train when going to the Nola Airport rather than driving and paying outrageous prices for park and ride.

Sure. But because of the reasons I stated it's very unlikely to occur. 

It's costs much more to maintain I-10 and Airline than it would a single rail to NO. How much did it cost to reconstruct I-10, widen I-12, widen Airline, and now they want to widen the stretch of I-10 around the Perkins overpass.

Do you have any facts?

How much does it cost to maintain rail every year?

How much does the state have to pay for rail upkeep?

How much does the federal Govt pay for Interstate upkeep.

How much traffic cargo does the interstate carry?

How much traffic cargo could rail support?

Does rail flood since were in a floodzone?

Does rail work in storms?

See, anyone can assume they know the answer and make proclamations when you don't provide actual facts.

Edited by itsjustme2

To me it's a wasted venture unless it's high speed. At 90 minutes most won't bother. You have to get to the rail station, which for most probably will be another 15-30 minutes of time added.

Here's the problem, people forget that we no longer live in cities where you can get everything downtown. Instead, businesses and eateries and schools and homes and hospitals are now sprawled out over large distances. Let's say I do take a 90 minute train ride to Nola (nevermid that's longer than by car) but then you get there and then what? You'll need to get from the train station to your destination. You'll need another trip by cab or bus just to get to your trolley or cab. And what if you need to go to Metairie or the west bank? Add in rain that we get and that's a miserable experience that I nor most people want to deal with.

It's purpose is to move people from downtown to downtown essentially. Not many people will need to go to the Westbank, Algeirs, etc. It's primary function is to lessen the impact on heavy traffic days/events because alot of us travel between both cities. I'm sure there'd be a stop at MSY and somewhere in the CBD. We no longer revolve around downtown, I agree.

You don't see any positives to this?

It's purpose is to move people from downtown to downtown essentially. Not many people will need to go to the Westbank, Algeirs, etc. 

So were going to build rail so that we can move a select few from downtown Nola to downtown BR and vice versa? This country and state is broke. Who do you think is going to pay for this and maintain it?????

You don't see any positives to this?

No, I don't. 

It's not for 5 or 6 people. It's for the thousands that move between the cities each year. It won't make money consistently throuought the year, but it's not supposed to. It would see most use during LSU/Saints/Hornets games, holidays, business needs between the two, Mardi Gras, etc. I'm sure they wouldn't miss on the oppurtunity to have a stop at major attractions (airport, LSU, one or two towns in between).

It's not for 5 or 6 people. It's for the thousands that move between the cities each year. It won't make money consistently throuought the year, but it's not supposed to. It would see most use during LSU/Saints/Hornets games, holidays, business needs between the two, Mardi Gras, etc. I'm sure they wouldn't miss on the oppurtunity to have a stop at major attractions (airport, LSU, one or two towns in between).

Yes, let's do it because as you said:

1. It won't make money.

2. It moves thousands of people a YEAR.

3. Gets people to Saints games.

ROTFLOL. That kind of wasteful spending of taxpayer money is what got this country in the situation it's in now.

Wasteful spending were interstates and suburbs.

I think you forget New Orleans is a top destination in the country, but I can never have a real conversation with you.

I did t say it won't make money, I'm tired of you twisting my words. And it's more than Saints games, you would know that if you weren't brown-nosing yourself.

For every thug in the hood that becomes a born-again Christian; there is another gang banger that's gonna do a drive by??

Residents; Crime Outweighs All

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/Residents-Crime-outweighs-all.html?index=1&c=y

*Opinion* section from the Advocate "Our Views"....

Talking about the lack of street-grid in the Medical Corridor...untangling the spaghetti like street pattern in BR..Why transit system is important??

Easing Tangle of Growth

http://www.2theadvocate.com/opinion/Our-Views-Easing-tangle-of-growth.html

Plan Offered to Revive Choctaw Corridor

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/latest/Plan-offered-to-revive-Choctaw-corridor.html

Edited by richyb83