The Bad News Report

tozmervo

Without knowing all the details of what was proposed by NextEra, I have a hard time believing this deal would ever get regulatory approval. A deal this size would be a huge negative for customers imo -- for starters Duke has something like 7.5+ million customers in a half dozen or so states. The utility industry is also highly regulated.  I wonder if NextEra was just testing the waters knowing they were aiming too high to see if someone else out there was ripe for acquisition once they caught wind of this news. Kind of like when you are negotiating a salary. You throw out something high to see what comes back. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well it appears that the last full service Sears store in the Charlotte metro area is closing.  The store at Carolina Mall in Concord is closing shop.  I believe that there is a Sears Outlet store in Matthews that is still open.

https://independenttribune.com/news/local/friday-five-no-smithfield-s-no-sears-but-other-good-stuff-coming/article_662b442e-2aad-11eb-b2fd-2f300321030a.html

• Sad 4

• 2 weeks later...

Belk's corporate debt is trading at 35 cents on the dollar today, and there was news report they haven't been paying their vendors.... apparently some vendors threatening lawsuits, others refusing to send more merchandise until they are paid.... guessing they are trying to hold on through the holidays and then will file BK ( likely restructuring) to shed all the small town stores.

• Sad 6

3 hours ago, rancenc said:

Bad news for Wisconsin..at least for now.   I do believe that NC was being considered for this operations before going to Wisconsin.

https://www.ncadvertiser.com/news/article/Foxconn-not-expect-to-meet-hiring-goals-in-next-3-15772114.php

That's unfortunately been the rumor for a while there.  They  tore up a newly expanded part of I-94 (2009-2016 project!) because of the infrastructure Foxconn required 94 south of Milwaukee to be redone again.  My in laws are in the area and this whole thing has been a pretty big inconvenience getting around

https://madison.com/ct/opinion/column/dave_zweifel/plain-talk-wisconsin-will-pay-for-foxconn-mess-for-years/article_427a05ce-4ac0-52e9-99c5-46361d66de79.html

6 hours ago, JHart said:

It's one of the worst state incentive projects I've ever heard of, I'm from Wisconsin too which is why it hits home even more. That article says less than 300 employees and $300M of investment, falling just short of the claimed 16,000 employees and $10B of investment. The state gave them $4.5B in incentives!!

The worst part of it on top of the massive infrastructure the state is paying for is how much environmental damage this facility is causing. Everything from them receiving waivers to not meet emissions regulations, to not having any increased wastewater treatment facilities for the heavy metals used to produce LCD screens (let's just send it to the regular Racine facility, that'll be fine), to future stormwater damage because of the design due to how much water they need to take from Lake Michigan. 

Yep. This is a Scott Walker & Donald Trump special, arguably only outmatched by the Giuliani/Trump combo for sheer stupidity. Irreparable environmental damage to one of the largest freshwater lakes in the US and a few billion US dollars to a company in Taiwan. Sometimes it is tiring, all the winning in this country... 

I am not sure it really is causing much environmental damage... yet.... because it isn't producing LCD screens yet? I probably never will... The factories are still empty. 

This is the interior of the Gen 6 Factory that they built. It won't actually produce Gen 6 glass. It will produce: robotic Coffee Kiosks and Alarm system parts.... 

spacer.png

Edited by Blue_Devil

"I am not sure it really is causing much environmental damage... yet.... because it isn't producing LCD screens yet? I probably never will... The factories are still empty. "

True, but they were happy to accept that. No surprise there.

All those dumb tarifs Trump put in place have not amounted to squat either. Good podcast on that:  https://www.npr.org/2020/11/11/933950483/worst-tariffs-ever-classic

• Like 2

Sure, just say'n we don't learn from others very well (good or bad). Need to watch out for that next time we see incentives being thrown around. 

Where are the tent cities? I've seen the mess by the RR downtown but it's pretty small. 

I wonder how much a program like the one you mentioned in Houston would cost here and how it could get funded? Is  it considered a city or state or both issue?

• Like 2

Good news/ bad news for the homeless camp outside of uptown.

There IS enough room in shelters or other places for the 91 people there but most have addiction or mental illness issues.  Bad news many won't go.  From my working with the homeless in Concord there are some who will never go into shelters as they don't like the no alcohol policies or other rules.  

Leaders discuss how to handle growing number of homeless tents outside uptown (wsoctv.com)

""STATS: 91 people live at the North End encampment. 60 men and 31 women. No known children. 40 of those at the camp are chronically homeless. 84 tents are not occupied. They’re either used for storage or empty.""  from twitter and more from Joe Bruno 

ICYMI: News out of the #MeckBOCC discussion on the encampment near Uptown: - There is shelter/motel space for all 91 residents; county will tell them - The county cannot force the residents of it out unless there is a public health risk or the property owner complains
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Charlotte needs to use programs to get homeless people into places like the McNich house and other places.  That particular project on N Davidson should be duplicated around the city.

I sound like a broken record but one large city has really reduced its homeless and that is Houston.

54% drop in homelessness since 2011.  Perhaps our city leaders should find out what they are doing there and copy it or go one of those Chamber intercity trips to see how.

Houston Leads the Nation in Reducing Homelessness | SEARCH Homeless Services

The Way Home Houston | Changing the Path for Houston's Homeless

Houston Facts and Info (homelesshouston.org)    we need a Coalition for the Homeless like Houston that works with local govts, churches, places of worships, nonprofits, neighborhood associations and things like Charlotte Center City partners,   charitable foundations etc.  

Charlotte can and should do this and make it goal of getting people off the streets.  

This is very generous city and I know some of you know city leaders and this should be a priority.  There will always be some on the streets but our increasing numbers means we are not doing enough or doing the same things over and over again and thinking we will get a different result.  The hotel conversion on Clanton Rd is GREAT START and hopefully we can do more as I know there was talk of another motel conversion off Sugar Creek. 

Make  a donation to the homeless shelter of socks (preferably black crew socks) clothing, coats, volunteer at the shelter and help those in need.  You will see that you will be blessed even more than they are.   

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...