The Bad News Report

tozmervo

1 hour ago, elrodvt said:

Sorry typo.  I just want to point out caterpiller that when you're being a homer  it's hard to see where we need to improve and progress stalls.  CLT is not close to many of these cities from an URBAN perspective and I expect that is what a lot of 20-30's are looking for.   

Maybe 20-25 years thinking twenty ago that line of thought might have more validity.  I think most young people are more interesting in finding a progressive and affordable place to live.   And I think most southern metros like Charlotte, Raleigh, etc are past hick town status and a city doesn't  have to an urban oasis to attract and retain talent...these metros are already doing that.  I think it's about show me the money....that's what it will boil down to and larger metros tend to have more resources.  I don't think Charlotte, Raleigh, Austin, etc have to sell the farm either, the momentum is already in place with or without winning the bid.   The whole thing sounds kind of fishy...maybe even weird with some of the request.  Any mid to large size metro on the east coast is more than suitable these days with the advancements in technology, etc, this ain't the old south of Atlanta and everybody else.  They could put the "campus" near downtown Winston or Greenville, SC and droves of 20/30s would land and  live there.   Of course some might get the experience and bolt, they're gonna do that anyway in DC or Denver.

Edited by Durhamite
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, elrodvt said:

Sorry typo.  I just want to point out caterpiller that when you're being a homer  it's hard to see where we need to improve and progress stalls.  CLT is not close to many of these cities from an URBAN perspective and I expect that is what a lot of 20-30's are looking for.   

As a "homer" that has lived overseas for 20 years,  on three continents and Boston, Minneapolis,  Denver, and Charlotte, I have a pretty good prospective.  Charlotte is no cowtown as many like to claim. We are attracting international companies at a fast pace  and are on top of the list  as far as most desired cities to relocate.  I believe basing our qualification on 20 t0 30 year olds.  If you feel that my opinion that Charlotte is a viable choice for newcomers of all educational levels  is invalid and that  Charlotte is lacking in the ability to "improve and progress," perhaps you need to reassess the meaning of "being a homer."   Charlotte has lots of growing and improving to do, but at least it is and at a respectable speed.  In my opinion, the Charlotte area has almost  everything in life that makes me comfortable and what it doesn't have, the airport is close enough and big enough to take me where the rest of my needs can be fulfilled.  I can name dozens of cities that are more exciting that Charlotte, but everyone isn't looking for excitement.  I spend a few months in Europe every year and love most cities there, but actually choosing to  live in a place and loving a place can have a wide variation in regards to prospective.  If we are specifically  concerned so much with the  needs of the 20-30 year old millennials, Asheville should be added to this topic. 

Edited by caterpillar2

2 hours ago, caterpillar2 said:

As a "homer" that has lived overseas for 20 years,  on three continents and Boston, Minneapolis,  Denver, and Charlotte, I have a pretty good prospective.  Charlotte is no cowtown as many like to claim. We are attracting international companies at a fast pace  and are on top of the list  as far as most desired cities to relocate.  I believe basing our qualification on 20 t0 30 year olds.  If you feel that my opinion that Charlotte is a viable choice for newcomers of all educational levels  is invalid and that  Charlotte is lacking in the ability to "improve and progress," perhaps you need to reassess the meaning of "being a homer."   Charlotte has lots of growing and improving to do, but at least it is and at a respectable speed.  In my opinion, the Charlotte area has almost  everything in life that makes me comfortable and what it doesn't have, the airport is close enough and big enough to take me where the rest of my needs can be fulfilled.  I can name dozens of cities that are more exciting that Charlotte, but everyone isn't looking for excitement.  I spend a few months in Europe every year and love most cities there, but actually choosing to  live in a place and loving a place can have a wide variation in regards to prospective.  If we are specifically  concerned so much with the  needs of the 20-30 year old millennials, Asheville should be added to this topic. 

Also, Millennials get paid less and work longer hours than the Boomers did.  We can't afford the luxuries the Boomers had.

I am lost, Are we talking about how much Millennials love Charlotte, Or How much they dislike it? I have brought this up, But Charlotte continues to be the City where the most Millennials move, There is steady job growth, A decently sized Culture, Tons upon Tons of Dining/Shopping/Entertainment options, And it's a great place to start a family. 

https://www.apartmentlist.com/rentonomics/millennial-population-trends/

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Cadi40 said:

I am lost, Are we talking about how much Millennials love Charlotte, Or How much they dislike it? I have brought this up, But Charlotte continues to be the City where the most Millennials move, There is steady job growth, A decently sized Culture, Tons upon Tons of Dining/Shopping/Entertainment options, And it's a great place to start a family. 

https://www.apartmentlist.com/rentonomics/millennial-population-trends/

Millennials relocate here for jobs and mixed use settings. 

On 9/14/2017 at 1:41 PM, HighRiseHillbilly said:

All I really want is for you to....forgive my lack of vocabulary... make that logo design what shows up when I add U.P. to my phone's home screen (and Google mobile's home screen), as opposed to just the "U" in the grey box.

Done (or at least it should be working for you now...I don't have an Android device to test with).

26 minutes ago, kermit said:

So you don't think its an accurate stereotype? Are you trying to say the urban millennial is a myth?

The urban millennial is not a myth, just like the suburban millennial is not a myth. The 32 year old millennial is buying a home in the suburbs and getting an SUV, while there are also 32 year old millennials living in the city in a townhome walking everywhere. The 22 year old millennial is renting an apartment and by 32 will also likely be looking at buying a home, often in the suburbs still. In about 10 years, all millennials will be over 28 and we will be looking at "Gen Z" as the new generation of 20-28 year old. 

I would guess millennials with children move to a more suburban area (or at least look for a SFH in town) quicker than millennials without children. There is also likely a self selection process on friends group and personal experience. A millennial that wants to live in the suburbs likely surrounds themselves with like minded people, whereas a millennial that wants to live close to town surrounds themselves with like minded people. Each group will think everybody behaves like them. The reality is both are happening. Millennials won't exclusively live in the suburbs or the city, but more than the older generations, they will remain closer to town and not be willing to do exurbs. Close in suburbs will benefit as millennials will want the yard for their kids, but still be near dining, shopping, etc... this means areas like Cotswold, Olde Providence, Barclay Downs, etc... that blend suburban and proximity to town will remain hot. Areas like Waxhaw are very popular with Gen X, but I don't see being as popular with millennials once they are in their late 30's and 40's. 

http://www.npr.org/2017/09/15/551232392/as-millennials-get-older-many-are-buying-suvs-to-drive-to-their-suburban-homes

The true wildcard will be Generation Z (kids born in 2000 and after). In surveys, 82% are saying the best way to execute the American dream is to own your own single family home. They are strongly modeling their parents' behavior (Gen X) and taking it even further. They also report strong relationships with their parents and a feeling of open dialogue/ respect, so they aren't looking to do something "different" as much as millennials. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 3

31 here so closer to the older end of millennial and from being here for 7 years and having quite a few friends/acquaintances I can only think of one person our friend group has lost to Ballantyne.   All others in our group age ranging from 26-33 live in Brightwalk, Cherry, Southend, Plaza, Elizabeth, Third Ward.  In fact having bought a single family home around Scaleybark I feel like I'm the one in the burbs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dale said:

It could very well be. I actually don't know any millennials (other than those on UP) who prefer an urban environment and who don't prefer to drive.

So you know some urban millennials (folks here). How many other urban snake people would you see in your normal activities?  Are you regularly in areas where you might encounter the urban variety of the species or would you more frequently encounter the suburban variant?

As a libertarian how do you interpret the evidence of  low vacancy / high rents / rapid construction  seen in intown multi family in Charlotte as indication that urban millennials don't exist?

Just trying to understand the evidence you based your statement on....

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, kermit said:

So you know some urban millennials (folks here). How many of them would you see in your normal activities?  Are you regularly in areas where you might encounter them?

As a libertarian how do you interpret the evidence of  low vacancy / high rents / rapid construction  seen in intown multi family in Charlotte as indication that urban millennials don't exist?

Just trying to understand the evidence you based your statement on....

When I worked at Red Ventures damn near everyone I worked with was millennial. Fun fact: they hated their own music. Probably why RV piped in music from the 70's and 80's.

Just now, Dale said:

When I worked at Red Ventures damn near everyone I worked with was millennial.

So you worked with a bunch of them who worked in the burbs. Are you seeing any shortcomings in your sampling technique?

Saying you don't know any urban millennials is quite a different thing than saying urban millennials are a myth.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Dale said:

When I worked at Red Ventures damn near everyone I worked with was millennial. Fun fact: they hated their own music. Probably why RV piped in music from the 70's and 80's.

Ummmm.....

RV is in Fort Mill...of course they lived in the suburbs.  My guess is.....FORT MILL, and Ballentyne/Indianland to a lesser extent.

When I worked downtown guess where most of those millenials  (me included) lived?  I can't name one of my friends/co-workers that lived further out than the ring neighborhoods.  I even had a couple friends who did a reverse commute to Monroe and Arrowood Rd area.

Fun fact: four of us all ended up out here in downtown Denver over the course of a year and a half for various reasons (mostly work).  

Edited by queensguy06
Quoted myself.

39 minutes ago, queensguy06 said:

Ummmm.....

RV is in Fort Mill...of course they lived in the suburbs.  My guess is.....FORT MILL, and Ballentyne/Indianland to a lesser extent.

When I worked downtown guess where most of those millenials  (me included) lived?  I can't name one of my friends/co-workers that lived further out than the ring neighborhoods.  I even had a couple friends who did a reverse commute to Monroe and Arrowood Rd area.

Fun fact: four of us all ended up out here in downtown Denver over the course of a year and a half for various reasons (mostly work).  

Thanks for the anecdotes. 

1 minute ago, Dale said:

I gather the point is that all we have is anecdotes.

No, we have lots of evidence supporting their existence:

2 hours ago, kermit said:

^ so the sustained (nearly 2 decades long) free-market-driven development of thousands of intown multi-family units  somehow suggests that urban millennials don't really exist? 

You are the one who said [paraphrasing] that urban millennials are a myth -- I am just asking how you rationalize the nature of changes to our built environment in the context of your statement.

Edited by kermit

44 minutes ago, Dale said:

Evidence of what, anecdotes. Look, these are millennial priorities ...

(1) job

(2) affordability

(17) fish taco places

(33) bike share program

LOL- come on, you gotta be trolling us at this point.

Your key foci are every generations/socioeconomic strata's priorities.  Replace fish tacos with bluebird specials and bike share with handicap accessible buses and you just described anyone over 60 years old.  See how that works?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, queensguy06 said:

Replace fish tacos with bluebird specials and bike share with handicap accessible buses and you just described anyone over 60 years old.

Whoa now, I'm closing in on 50 and fish taco availability remains very important to me.

40 minutes ago, queensguy06 said:

LOL- come on, you gotta be trolling us at this point.

Dale trolling?  Hard to believe...