The Good News Report

atlrvr

^Check out the coffee house...  Sounds like the announcement isn't MLS related.  I am in same boat as you:  Not a soccer fan really, but would love for Tepper to win a team for Charlotte.  So far, Tepper seems like an outstanding owner and a great asset for Charlotte going forward.

1983444199_coffeehouse.thumb.png.cc1c7f7b6e361613c1d8eedd389a67ae.png

Edited by J-Rob

42 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

^Check out the coffee house...  Sounds like the announcement isn't MLS related.  I am in same boat as you:  Not a soccer fan really, but would love for Tepper to win a team for Charlotte.  So far, Tepper seems like an outstanding owner and a great asset for Charlotte going forward.

1983444199_coffeehouse.thumb.png.cc1c7f7b6e361613c1d8eedd389a67ae.png

He will, that’s just not the announcement today 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jayvee said:

He will, that’s just not the announcement today 

I'm not certain he will. The non soccer specific stadium is definitely an obstacle with MLS ownership.  Although add Chicago to a list of MLS teams moving into an NFL stadium as of today's announcement with the lease agreement with their current venue.

17 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

I'm not certain he will. The non soccer specific stadium is definitely an obstacle with MLS ownership.  Although add Chicago to a list of MLS teams moving into an NFL stadium as of today's announcement with the lease agreement with their current venue.

I'm 99% sure he will. I just don't think BofA will be their permanent stadium home.

7 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I just don't think BofA will be their permanent stadium home

Maybe you were avoiding this part, but do you think BofA will be the Panthers home, or are you thinking there might be a new dual use stadium?

2 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

Maybe you were avoiding this part, but do you think BofA will be the Panthers home, or are you thinking there might be a new dual use stadium?

I think both teams will be occupying a new home together by 2024-25 season. I just pray I don't have to rebuy PSLs.

Edited by Guest

3 hours ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

I don't think this is true anymore.  The bottom of the league (attendance) primarily have one thing in common.  They play in the suburbs.   The future of the league is likely dual-purpose stadiums that are larger but built with both football and soccer in mind and are located in the city center. 

I think @ricky_davis_fan_21 is right but it will take slightly longer than that.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nuthinberger said:

I don't think this is true anymore.  The bottom of the league (attendance) primarily have one thing in common.  They play in the suburbs.   The future of the league is likely dual-purpose stadiums that are larger but built with both football and soccer in mind and are located in the city center. 

I think @ricky_davis_fan_21 is right but it will take slightly longer than that.  

I agree that the team would easily be in the top 1/3rd of attendance. I don't see getting a team in this cycle or even the next unless its a new building. The 20 other owners that built a soccer specific stadium aren't going to green light it over STL or SAC out of principal. 

On 7/8/2019 at 10:19 AM, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Are there any counties who could be added to Charlotte's MSA/CSA? Because there are so many surrounding metro areas (unlike a Miami/Atlanta which has no competition eating up population), adding counties from other metros could rapidly move Charlotte up population lists. If you took the size of Atlanta and outlined the Charlotte area with it, the population would be close to 4.5m.

I’ve wondered the same thing. “Larger” metros tend to cover two or three times the area of the Charlotte metro. If we’re looking at proportions, it these other metros are sometimes less dense than the Charlotte metro. Does anyone know who the census determines which counties should be included in what metro? And if so, why do certain metros have more/larger counties than others?

I’ve wondered the same thing. “Larger” metros tend to cover two or three times the area of the Charlotte metro. If we’re looking at proportions, it these other metros are sometimes less dense than the Charlotte metro. Does anyone know who the census determines which counties should be included in what metro? And if so, why do certain metros have more/larger counties than others?

It’s based on commuting patterns, a certain % of a county has to come to Charlotte for work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, navigator319 said:

The US world cup bid is for 2026, jointly with Mexico and Canada at that.  Charlotte was already eliminated from the perspective 16 sites.

Which is honestly a good thing. As much as I would love to see a WC game held here, I remember reading about all of the requirements that were required for the host cities to meet and they were pretty absurd

27 minutes ago, JHart said:

Which is honestly a good thing. As much as I would love to see a WC game held here, I remember reading about all of the requirements that were required for the host cities to meet and they were pretty absurd

We met most if not all of them. Atlanta will be a semifinal and Nashville DC and Baltimore are still in the running. I really don't know how Baltimore and Cincinnati are still potential sites.

5 hours ago, thenewkage95 said:

Both of these two topics come into play when we look at NFL home town TV markets, which is the accumulation of TV markets within 75 miles of the stadium. Very interesting how the Piedmont of the Carolinas is so populated but it is never reflected in our Metro numbers bc Greensboro, GSP, and Columbia take away many counties that may otherwise be part of the metro. As Charlotte becomes more important nationally, I could see some of these counties start to focus more toward Charlotte and increase the number of counties in the CSA.

Rank Team(s) Pop. in TV Households (000s) Media Market(s)
1) New York Giants / Jets 22421 New York, Hartford-New Haven1 , Wilkes-Barre--Scranton
2) Oakland Raiders / San Francisco 49ers 10645 San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose, Sacramento-Stockton-Modesto, Monterey-Salinas
3) Chicago Bears 10606 Chicago, South Bend-Elkhart, Rockford
4) New England Patriots 9684 Boston (Manchester), Hartford-New Haven1 , Providence-New Bedford, Springfield-Holyoke
5) Philadelphia Eagles 8688 Philadelphia, Harrisburg-Lancaster-Lebanon-York2
6) Carolina Panthers 8152 Charlotte, Greenville-Spartanburg-Asheville-Anderson, Greensboro--High Point--Wiston-Salem, Columbia
7) Dallas Cowboys 8071 Dallas-Fort Worth, Waco-Temple-Bryan, Sherman-Ada
8) Detroit Lions 8032 Detroit, Flint-Saginaw-Bay City, Toledo, Lansing, Windsor
9) Atlanta Falcons 6462 Atlanta, Macon
10) Houston Texans 6452 Houston, Beaumont-Port Arthur
11) Washington Redskins 5853 Washington (Hagerstown)
12) Miami Dolphins 5722 Miami-Fort Lauderdale, West Palm Beach-Fort Pierce
13) Minnesota Vikings 5073 Minneapolis-Saint Paul, Rochester-Mason City-Austin, Mankato
14) Cleveland Browns 4794 Cleveland-Akron (Canton), Youngstown
15) Denver Broncos 4727 Denver, Colorado Springs-Pueblo
  • Like 1

^^^^^ Quality of Life #35???   HA! That is the main reason people are moving here that and jobs.  Maybe we don't have the number of bars per capita or whatever they put in that quality of life factor.       Anyway it is a great ranking.   

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

^^^^^ Quality of Life #35???   HA! That is the main reason people are moving here that and jobs.  Maybe we don't have the number of bars per capita or whatever they put in that quality of life factor.       Anyway it is a great ranking.   

The the "inclusiveness" ranking is certainly what drags that down.  Park system and perhaps healthcare quality to an extent probably too.  That's gotta be why when you look at a state like Minnesota being #3. Great hospitals, truly fantastic park system (at least in the twin cities), and liberal inclusiveness laws. 

With that said, I lived in Minnesota and I would rate my quality of life in NC as materially better. Not that Minnesota is a bad place to live.  Everyone is going weight things differently 

Edited by Bruco72
error

21 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Some of the metrics that impacted us for quality of life:

- Health insurance coverage: We rank 9th in percentage of our population without health insurance (nearly 13% of people)
- Crime rate: North Carolina has above average violence (just look at Charlotte's homicide count this year)
- Health: Top 1/3 of states by percent obese, above average smoking rates, above average cancer rates, etc.
- Anti-discrimination and ability for local jurisdictions to set their own standards: Examples like the HB2 issue. Certainly impacted us on this metric. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

We met most if not all of them. Atlanta will be a semifinal and Nashville DC and Baltimore are still in the running. I really don't know how Baltimore and Cincinnati are still potential sites.

Both of these two topics come into play when we look at NFL home town TV markets, which is the accumulation of TV markets within 75 miles of the stadium. Very interesting how the Piedmont of the Carolinas is so populated but it is never reflected in our Metro numbers bc Greensboro, GSP, and Columbia take away many counties that may otherwise be part of the metro. As Charlotte becomes more important nationally, I could see some of these counties start to focus more toward Charlotte and increase the number of counties in the CSA.

Rank Team(s) Pop. in TV Households (000s) Media Market(s)
1) New York Giants / Jets 22421 New York, Hartford-New Haven1 , Wilkes-Barre--Scranton
2) Oakland Raiders / San Francisco 49ers 10645 San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose, Sacramento-Stockton-Modesto, Monterey-Salinas
3) Chicago Bears 10606 Chicago, South Bend-Elkhart, Rockford
4) New England Patriots 9684 Boston (Manchester), Hartford-New Haven1 , Providence-New Bedford, Springfield-Holyoke
5) Philadelphia Eagles 8688 Philadelphia, Harrisburg-Lancaster-Lebanon-York2
6) Carolina Panthers 8152 Charlotte, Greenville-Spartanburg-Asheville-Anderson, Greensboro--High Point--Wiston-Salem, Columbia
7) Dallas Cowboys 8071 Dallas-Fort Worth, Waco-Temple-Bryan, Sherman-Ada
8) Detroit Lions 8032 Detroit, Flint-Saginaw-Bay City, Toledo, Lansing, Windsor
9) Atlanta Falcons 6462 Atlanta, Macon
10) Houston Texans 6452 Houston, Beaumont-Port Arthur
11) Washington Redskins 5853 Washington (Hagerstown)
12) Miami Dolphins 5722 Miami-Fort Lauderdale, West Palm Beach-Fort Pierce
13) Minnesota Vikings 5073 Minneapolis-Saint Paul, Rochester-Mason City-Austin, Mankato
14) Cleveland Browns 4794 Cleveland-Akron (Canton), Youngstown
15) Denver Broncos 4727 Denver, Colorado Springs-Pueblo

So because of the close proximity of counties within the Triad metro area, the Charlotte metro is represented as smaller? Also, I know a few people (not many for obvious reasons) who make the commute from the Greensboro/Winston-Salem area to Charlotte to work each day. It’s really not THAT much longer to be on the road. I know people who live IN Charlotte who have 1 hour+ commutes to work.

Edited by thenewkage95
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

True.

North Carolina is also a highly polarized state depending on where you live. You have much lower smoking rates in the big cities like Charlotte and Raleigh where people are moving with their feet. In those areas there is way less obesity, more interest in physical fitness, better jobs (and thus more access to healthcare and insurance), etc.... Hence the quality of life in Charlotte alone would likely rank much higher than a town like Wadesboro in Anson County. North Carolina is still one of the most "rural population" heavy states in the country. ~40% of the population lives in rural counties. That compares to a state like Minnesota where 73% of the population lives in an urbanized metro area. In Colorado 88% of the population lives in an urban area, etc....

There are many small and dying towns across the state that people aren't moving to, the population has way above average obesity, fast food everywhere, a lack of jobs so people don't have health insurance, downtown is boarded up, you are hard pressed to sit on a patio at a restaurant where somebody isn't smoking, etc... With 40% of the population in these towns, that certainly impacts the overall state quality of life ranking. 

You this sort of feast or famine phenomenon all over the country.

5 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

True.

North Carolina is also a highly polarized state depending on where you live. You have much lower smoking rates in the big cities like Charlotte and Raleigh where people are moving with their feet. In those areas there is way less obesity, more interest in physical fitness, better jobs (and thus more access to healthcare and insurance), etc.... Hence the quality of life in Charlotte alone would likely rank much higher than a town like Wadesboro in Anson County. North Carolina is still one of the most "rural population" heavy states in the country. ~40% of the population lives in rural counties. That compares to a state like Minnesota where 73% of the population lives in an urbanized metro area. In Colorado 88% of the population lives in an urban area, etc....

There are many small and dying towns across the state that people aren't moving to, the population has way above average obesity, fast food everywhere, a lack of jobs so people don't have health insurance, downtown is boarded up, you are hard pressed to sit on a patio at a restaurant where somebody isn't smoking, etc... With 40% of the population in these towns, that certainly impacts the overall state quality of life ranking. 

There may be some truth here, but I think you are vastly overstating things. Aside from this health discussion, I consider NC's population distribution an asset, not a liability and certainly nothing to wish would go away. I look down on places like Colorado and Minnesota exactly because everyone lives in the city and no one wants to live anywhere else.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, jednc said:

There may be some truth here, but I think you are vastly overstating things. Aside from this health discussion, I consider NC's population distribution an asset, not a liability and certainly nothing to wish would go away. I look down on places like Colorado and Minnesota exactly because everyone lives in the city and no one wants to live anywhere else.

That's completely fair - there is a lot of personal opinion in the criteria determined by CNBC. I was just pointing out that the criteria they selected is biased against states with a larger percentage of the population in struggling rural areas. The criteria they picked would ensure a state like North Carolina with a heavy percentage of residents in rural areas would rank worse than states where the majority of residents live in urban areas. 

• Like 1