The Good News Report

atlrvr

^ and one of the urban legends associated with it was that the Midnight Diner had to stop providing spoons to diners because they were being stolen for 'consuming' purposes back a the hotel.

I heard that story from multiple people, but I was always given a spoon for my grits....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Avison Young released their 1Q Industrial warehouse report.   It shows in the last 12 months 3.8 million sq ft was absorbed!  Vacancy is up due to lots of construction and winner in the last 12 months of the submarkets (of which Mecklenburg county has many) is Cabarrus county,

Big new lease signed last quarter was Bang Energy (evidently energy drinks) for 200,000 sq ft in Afton Ridge 2 in Cabarrus County in a spec building.  Biggest warehouse lease was the 700,000 sq ft lease for Chewy.com and its massive pet products warehouse to be built in Rowan County.  

download your copy here

https://www.avisonyoung.us/web/charlotte-nc/research

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CLT704 said:

She's not unknown when her face stares at you in every single elevator

I meant beforehand and this position while important has always been very low profile in NC under her face appeared on the certificates.  I hope the next person does it too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

I meant beforehand and this position while important has always been very low profile in NC under her face appeared on the certificates.  I hope the next person does it too.

Wait, do you mean to tell me you think she was unknown before the beer? I don't drink but I know who Cherie Berry is (although I'm not sure I've spelled her name correctly).

14 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

Ingersoll Rand (HQ in Ireland, but effectively based in Davidson, NC) merging a division of the company with Gardner Denver based in Milwaukee.

That combination will be spun out into a new public company also based in Davidson, while the remainder of IR will remain there as well.

As a US headquartered company with $6.6B in revenue, the new spin-off SHOULD be a new Fortune 500 based here in Meck Co.  The current CEO of Gardner Denver will become the CEO of the combined entity, and likely have discretion about if the physically separate themselves from IR.....cue new Uptown HQ speculation :tw_glasses:

Maybe you can clarify, but I know IR is "HQ'd" in Ireland, but really in Davidson. The Gardner Denver deal will be US based? I kept trying to figure that out. This is totally good news because we are gaining on HQ in the process without losing the other, even if that other is only HQ in name in Ireland. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, jednc said:

Wait, do you mean to tell me you think she was unknown before the beer? I don't drink but I know who Cherie Berry is (although I'm not sure I've spelled her name correctly).

she has been Labor Commissioner since 2002 but the first couple of years there was no face on the signs.  Then she added them and her profile rose greatly.  

• Like 2

^^^ Yes this is confusing here is an article from the Business Journal about it.  

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/04/30/ingersoll-rand-to-spin-off-merge-its-industrial.html

But it does sound like no employment changes in NC except more jobs may come here.  NC corporate tax structure is better than Wisconsin's for sure and it is easier to attract top talent here. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jednc said:

Doesn't anyone remember her failings: http://aflcionc.org/wage-theft-just-the-latest-fail-by-cherie-berry/

Odd link but it is open. Plenty of articles in papers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, atlrvr said:

IR will be a new Fortune 500 company, and TRANE is actually still larger post-divestiture and would be a Fortune 500 too, except for it's technically Ireland domicile.

This is great news for the area as well. I think this brings us up to at least 7 F500 companies, with BBTST, Domtar, Sealed Air, Diversey, and Coca Cola Bottling up in the air. Throw in the new IR and Resolute Forest Products, and we have the potential for 14 F500 not this year, but next year. 

• Like 3

I was doing some corporate Atlanta lurking and I found out that a segment of Roark Capital Group is based in Charlotte (Driven Brands). I searched around on the forum, but I didn't see the name po-up at all. Driven Brands has gobbled up quite a few brands recently.

http://www.drivenbrands.com/news/roark-portfolio-company-driven-brands-acquires-texas-based-express-lube/

https://www.moderntiredealer.com/news/733099/driven-brands-expands-take-5-oil-change-network

Even though one is old, and one is just of some more stores, these acquisitions add up very quickly. This should hopefully mean more jobs for yall in Charlotte. As an Atlantan, I have seen Inspire Brands/Focus Brands (headquartered) in ATL grow very quickly and hire a ton of people. If Driven keeps up, it should hopefully mean more for yall too.

• Like 4