***Picture of the Day***

Scott

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last time I was in Chicago, I stayed in the Embassy Suites behind the Bloomingdales. I passed by the building several times and thought that it was very interesting. Unfortunately, I never went inside and now I kind of wish that I had. I never noticed that there is a faded Medinah sign over the main entry.

BTW, at that time there was an interesting artist loft development under construction behind the Blomingdales. That should be complete by now.

Yep. It was built in 1890. It was designed by the well-known architect Henry Hobson Richardson, but it wasn't actually built until several years after his death. The lighthouse was built low on the cliff so it wouldn't block the view from a nearby mansion. Victorian NIMBYisim at work. :)

Edited by Gusterfell

Yep. It was built in 1890. It was designed by the well-known architect Henry Hobson Richardson, but it wasn't actually built until several years after his death. The lighthouse was built low on the cliff so it wouldn't block the view from a nearby mansion. Victorian NIMBYisim at work. :)

Thanks for the added info, it's always nice to hear a little background info on some of these nice pics posted here. :D

Hello UP peoples, great photos. For my first post on these here forums I'll take you across the Brooklyn Bridge yesterday. Cold, Windy and vacant -- the best time IMO to cross the bridge:

bkbridgewalkway.jpg

I like how the ESB is a tad off center looking thru one of the Manhattan Bridges stantions, makes the building look a bit askew. I was trying to center it as I have in past photos I've taken from that spot but did I mention it was cold and windy?

esbframedbymanhattan.jpg

Newport, Vermont... on the southern shore of Lake Memphremagog... June 2005

I love the name of that lake. I drove down through the Quebec lakeshore once on my way back from Montreal to Boston. Beautiful area and very popular with vacationers.

Here's my photo of the day. The Westin Providence Hotel with the construction crane working on The Residences at the Westin Tower. In the foreground is the Marriott Courtyard.

westin-2006-0301-001.jpg