Promenade

dobboard

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I split this topic off since its such a massive development.

I'm honestly not sure what I think about this. That rendering seems to be old since they said the amphitheater was moved closer to the bridge and the golf course was taken out. In general I am concerned about all of that development using one street for access. It ought to create multiple connections, and I'm surprised that Charleston doesn't require that.

It looks like a good project at its heart. I look forward to seeing the new site plan and see how its laid out.

City of Charleston info

This develepment looks great so far, but I do think they need to cut down some of that surface parking, and maybe build a couple small footprint parking decks, surrounded by street level retail of course.

It's funny reading all the comments on the P & C website, and how many fools live down there that just can't seem to understand the area is growing, and development like this is much better than continually sprawling suburbia. They fear it will push low income folks out, but the development is on an old landfill for goodness sakes, I doubt anyone lives there. I also find it funny they question a 160' building, that isn't even in the historic district.

With some minor changes, like more green space, maybe a little more density, and definitely improving the connectivity w/ more than 1/2 streets, this could be an amazing project.

Also, it's about time Charleston gets a good outdoor amphitheater for concerts. I like the idea of putting it closer to the bridge. It would be cool to attend a concert w/ the Bridge as a backdrop.

You're assuming that nothing can change. People in the north area want to get downtown. There are already rail lines that go downtown. One of which is abandoned. Land can be acquired easily enough. The only thing that will hold Charleston back is politics. Light rail is an expensive investment. I would not expect to see it in the near future, but someday it can, and probably will happen.

• 2 weeks later...

Between King and Meeting, it can go as far south as Mary Street, but you can see it clearly starting around Spring St. Then it can go north, partially paralleling the I-26 ROW, and the rail reappears at the crossing at Mt Pleasant St. I heard that the Visitor Center/Transit Center on Mary St is set up so that it can serve as a rail station at some point in the future. Either that or they would tear it down to build a rail station. Either way, the Midtown development is being set up to preserve that ROW for future rail service of some kind.

This particular route may be intended for LRT, but its still some sort of rail transit service.

is it just me or does it feel like daniel island? except instead of the tennis center there's an amphitheater.

Maybe they are designing it to make the area isolated like the daniel island community to keep property values high and disconnected from the neighboring 'hoods?

Just shows how they're planning the gentrification of the neck area. Look at Magnolia for instance, the same thing... connected only by a bridge to the neighboring communities. A bunch of truly disconnected "islands" of development which they are well aware of. A bunch of hilton heads that they incorporate into a larger city... Suburbia tied together...

Light rail won't be coming with more suburbia, we need urban development that meshes into the rest of the CITY.

is it just me or does it feel like daniel island? except instead of the tennis center there's an amphitheater.

Maybe they are designing it to make the area isolated like the daniel island community to keep property values high and disconnected from the neighboring 'hoods?

Just shows how they're planning the gentrification of the neck area. Look at Magnolia for instance, the same thing... connected only by a bridge to the neighboring communities. A bunch of truly disconnected "islands" of development which they are well aware of. A bunch of hilton heads that they incorporate into a larger city... Suburbia tied together...

Light rail won't be coming with more suburbia, we need urban development that meshes into the rest of the CITY.

Yes, Magnolia will be highly connected to the surround road system. It connects to 1 interstate exit, but there are other options... including rail in the long term.

Daniel Island has 1 option unless you own a house with a dock and have a boat of some kind.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, that location has multiple entrances on two roads, both of which are relatively significant roads. This one would be connected by one road in and out. I'm certainly not opposed to an urban Target in Charleston, but I'd rather see it somewhere actually on Meeting St or somewhere they will be forced to build a quality urban store that is surrounded by other retail with parking ideally wrapped with condominiums. The only thing I like about the Midtown Target in Charlotte is its location. The design is horrible.

Archived