Williams Mullen Center

Shakman

It may not be fair to judge until the building is complete, so I will keep an open mind.

Sounds like your mind is already made up. In my experience, renderings rarely give you a true feel of what the building will look like once completed and you can see it from many different angles in relation to its surroundings.

I don't get the "Mullet" reference? Are you saying the building is short on top, long in the back??

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From a flyer on Thalhimer's website:

http://www.thalhimer.com/property-search/ (search Williams Mullen)

WM3.jpg

WM1.jpg

WM2.jpg

These are the views I like of Williams/Mullin. I've never warmed to the straight-on shot of the 10th and Canal corner.

In reference to the middle picture, has anyone heard news of goings-on with the Alcoa property which can be seen here in its entirety?

These are the views I like of Williams/Mullin. I've never warmed to the straight-on shot of the 10th and Canal corner.

In reference to the middle picture, has anyone heard news of goings-on with the Alcoa property which can be seen here in its entirety?

I don't know about Alcoa..but I can't believe it's legal to let Richmond Plaza still stand. I'd almost rather see a surface lot there. At least the surface lot doesn't look like we have an abandoned department store in the middle of downtown. If you ask me..this spot IMHO is more important than Alcoa. It's got such a great location, and is begging for mixed use to connect downtown with the riverfront. I know it's got a beautiful facade under it's outermost skin, but something, anything at this point needs to be done.

I guess I'm missing how Richmond Plaza will do anything to connect downtown to the Riverfront. The only thing south of that building is the Crown Plaza and the Downtown Expressway.

If Centennial ever gets built, then Richmond Plaza will become a more important lot. As it stands now, it is on the periphery of downtown.

I guess I'm missing how Richmond Plaza will do anything to connect downtown to the Riverfront. The only thing south of that building is the Crown Plaza and the Downtown Expressway.

If Centennial ever gets built, then Richmond Plaza will become a more important lot. As it stands now, it is on the periphery of downtown.

I had thought that it was a block over and closer to the Federal Reserve/Manchester Bridge, that was my own fault. I don't know where I pulled that off from.

Williams Mullen looked good coming over the Manchester Bridge this morning. I'm hoping to have another small picture update by the end of this month.

I had thought that it was a block over and closer to the Federal Reserve/Manchester Bridge, that was my own fault. I don't know where I pulled that off from.

I take that back. Richmond Plaza is right by Kanawha Plaza (which could also use a facelift or at least new landscaping) and would tie in that area to Foundry Park. IMHO, Richmond Plaza is more of an eyesore than Alcoa. While I regret saying more important, I still say IMHO more of an eyesore.

Yes, but there is nothing on the other side of Richmond Plaza that needs to be tied in. The key problem with the Alcoa property is that it cuts off the main downtown office buildings (and the associated ample parking) from the canal. Furthermore, Kanawha plaza isn't exactly the sort of place that you're going to hang around after hours.

You're right, Kanawha Plaza isn't a hot spot to be at after hours for multiple reasons--it should be. I just don't see the reason to expand to Alcoa yet when we can't even keep up with a place like the plaza. I just personally think that something needs to be done with Richmond Plaza and Kanawha Plaza. I can see where Alcoa is important and finally being able to finish the Canal Walk is awesome, but with the two places closer to the city in such conditions it's hard for me to want to see Alcoa developed before them. I believe in the fact that Alcoa is a much more likely candidate for development than what I think would be, but I would like to see those spots downtown dealt with beforehand. It just comes down to opinions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It may have surpassed it by now.

Perhaps just barely at the moment. If not yet then probably by next week. None the less it laready has a nice visual density impact on the skyline while traveling north on I-95.

Yesterday, while driving through Downtown, I was trying to picture this highrise along with the Three James Center addition, development of Four James Center and a possible highrise at the corner of 9th and Canal (Reynolds).

• 2 weeks later...

Archived