"I Was Blown Away!"

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was just watching the commercials that will be airing nationally this weekend, and I am very impressed! They are top notch. In fact, these commercials could easily be used to promote Greenville on any television station and in any market.

http://www.iwasblownaway.com/tvcommercials

This ad campaign is the first one I've seen that truly tackles the not-so-positive stereotypes about the South. The commercials do a brilliant job of addressing the "South Carolina, really?!?" notion that many people have, and providing evidence to the contrary with amazing images and articulate speakers. A few of these seriously gave me chills!

I especially like the "Dining" and "Lifestyle" videos. :thumbsup:

I am curious to see what everyone else thinks about the commercials as well.

As cool as the 30-second commercial spots are, you should check out the videos on the front page (click on the people at the top). Those, to me, would make good commercials in their own right, if shortened a bit, perhaps. They certainly seem more genuine than the 30-second spots, which obviously are scripted and use actors for the voice-overs.

I think these are ok, but they "feel" similar to other booster type spots I see on cities all across the country (even thought he content and approach are not not neccesarily the same). And I still think that very few people across the country will see them. The Nationwide tour is not a popular TV selection, and noone watches commercials now anyway. We'll see.

DL, it takes time to gain momentum, and Greenville is not Charlotte or Atlanta yet. While these spots may not create major interest among the viewing audience as a whole, the idea is to help elimintate the negative ideas already residing in some of their minds about the Upstate. Beyond that I assume the goal is to develop enough interest in people's minds so that they will decide to either research a bit more or perhaps even check the place out in person. I think these spots could be greatly beneficial in marketing this city and region to businesses interested in relocation or expansion. Quality of Life is always very high on their list of priorities for a suitable new home.

DL, it takes time to gain momentum, and Greenville is not Charlotte or Atlanta yet. While these spots may not create major interest among the viewing audience as a whole, the idea is to help elimintate the negative ideas already residing in some of their minds about the Upstate. Beyond that I assume the goal is to develop enough interest in people's minds so that they will decide to either research a bit more or perhaps even check the place out in person. I think these spots could be greatly beneficial in marketing this city and region to businesses interested in relocation or expansion. Quality of Life is always very high on their list of priorities for a suitable new home.

We obviously can't rely on the state of SC to give us equal time when it comes to promotion for tourism and relocation - which is another reason why I LOVE the fact that these commercials have an underlying message of "we're not like them." :thumbsup:

To me, these ads are very different from your run-of-the-mill tourism spots. One of the recent South Carolina commercials shows mostly beach scenes, a shot or two of Charleston, someone playing golf, and a family enjoying some activities together. It has a woman saying something about being called "ma'am" when she visits. It's very hokey if you ask me. Not only is that not our target audience in the Upstate, it's also the very type of thing we're campaigning against in these new ads. I think it's brilliant.

I hope this marketing campaign really piques people's interest in the area. I like the catchy phrasing of "I was blown away" because it really is a true reaction people have--an one that we as humans really seek to feel (though it probably must happen when you least expect it).

Feeling "blown away" is not something to be taken lightly, but I think there are a decent list of places/experiences in the Upstate that can really leave you feeling that way. What are your personal experiences with this? I'll list a few...

1. Falls Park/Liberty bridge--I felt this way when I first came into that space. Really amazing. It's what draws me back 5-6 times a week and I never tire.

2. The drive in Northern Greenville County on route 25 going into the North Carolina border (Cliffs golf course area). Absolutely gorgeous. I love taking that drive.

3. The Museum & Gallery at BJU--you can never imagine the size and quality of the collection before you come for the first time. I hear scholars, curators, and experts who invariably remark that they were "blown away" by the collection. Even though I work there, it blows me away every day.

4. Artisphere--the festival keeps growing and growing and amazes me when I go and experience all of the activities, fun, performances, art and THRONGS of people. Blows me away each year.

5. The collection of Andrew Wyeth and Steven Scott Young paintings at the Greenville Co. Museum of Art--what? in Greenville? Internationally stellar and quality paintings in those collections. Would stand up in any major museum in the country.

6. The Peace Center--I haven't seen many things, but when I experienced seeing Fiddler on the Roof and The King's Singers there, it blew me away. Great, great facility with top-notch acts.

7. The Rock Quarry Garden/Park (Vardry McBee's old quarry). Took a walk there with my family, friends, and our dogs a few weeks ago. I knew it was gorgeous and pretty, but everything was in bloom, perfect weather, great time. Blew me away.

I'm sure there are more, but these came to mind. I need to experience a lot more in the area. I might get blown away experiencing Hometown U.S.A. when I go to a G-Drive game for the first time. I still haven't toured BMW's plant or Zentrum. So many things to do. Isn't it great living in Greenville?

Drive games are great! You'll enjoy yourself and be blown away that you're still sitting in Greenville, SC and getting that kind of facility and entertainment!

I never knew that the Rock Quarry garden was actually Vardry McBee's old quarry! It's a beautiful little park. I thoroughly enjoy reading your posts because I always find out something new about Greenville's past! Thanks.

I agree that this ad campaign accurately describes to Northern and other visitors that your expectations will be exceeded, and "blown away", especially if your expectations of Greenville consist of southern stereotypes. Should we caveat the ads with, "please don't drive 10 miles in any direction"? :whistling:

I agree that this ad campaign accurately describes to Northern and other visitors that your expectations will be exceeded, and "blown away", especially if your expectations of Greenville consist of southern stereotypes. Should we caveat the ads with, "please don't drive 10 miles in any direction"? :whistling:

Well said, Skyliner. If nothing else, this campaign by Upstate Forever and Erwin-Penland shows that the Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson MSA is taking matters into its own hands. We obviously can't rely on the state of SC to give us equal time when it comes to promotion for tourism and relocation - which is another reason why I LOVE the fact that these commercials have an underlying message of "we're not like them." :thumbsup:

To me, these ads are very different from your run-of-the-mill tourism spots. One of the recent South Carolina commercials shows mostly beach scenes, a shot or two of Charleston, someone playing golf, and a family enjoying some activities together. It has a woman saying something about being called "ma'am" when she visits. It's very hokey if you ask me. Not only is that not our target audience in the Upstate, it's also the very type of thing we're campaigning against in these new ads. I think it's brilliant.

I also think it will be quite effective. :)

• 11 months later...

Thought it was time to revisit this thread. We are sitting here on Main, having drinks alfresco, with two of our friends who came up from Atlanta for the weekend. This is the first time either have ever spent time in downtown Greenville and they are both blown away. We took them to the Ken-Ducky derby, strolled main, did some shopping, did the galleries on the Riverwalk, ducked in O-Cha for a pick-me-up (very busy by the way), and had lunch at Lazy Goat. Just having afternoon drinks and people watching until time to get ready for the Red Party.

So, Michael Held and Jen Bronstein said to let everyone know, "they are blown away". :alc: ......and, they'll spread the word.......

Archived