University City Projects/News

Andyc545

6 hours ago, Windsurfer said:

I actually agree with LaWana Slack-Mayfield on her thoughts about environmental concerns.  Why couldn't something like this be built in a depressed area where there are already empty big boxes....like Freedom Dr. ?  

there is a huge electrical substation next to the property and that was cited.  There is only one empty big box on Freedom drive now next to  a brand new medical building.  That site is not as big as this one. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KJHburg said:

there is a huge electrical substation next to the property and that was cited.  There is only one empty big box on Freedom drive now next to  a brand new medical building.  That site is not as big as this one. 

I was tossing Freedom Dr. out as an example.

This next generation is going to have to really take saving the environment seriously.   

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

the 30 year old shopping center across the street from UNCC campus on N Tryon may be redeveloped.  While I like the plan with apartments on the old empty big box which was a Kohls I am not sure how the Food Lion which is operating in this center fits into the new plan.  It is crucial that a grocery store remain or everyone in this area will have to drive further to a store.  I think the Kohls and strip center to the left should be knocked down first and redeveloped.  But a grocery store needs to remain as that is the only one within that area.

Harris Teeter on 49 on the other side of campus isn't far though.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, nicholas said:

Harris Teeter on 49 on the other side of campus isn't far though.

true but there are so many apartments within walking distance of this store including those new ones at University Place. Maybe if apartments are developing there could be a ground floor grocery store with apartments above.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

true but there are so many apartments within walking distance of this store including those new ones at University Place. Maybe if apartments are developing there could be a ground floor grocery store with apartments above.  

Full honesty, no one I knew went to that Food Lion when we were in school. Then again, this was 2006-2010. But Harris Teeter was larger and Target was just down the road too. Hell some of us went to the Trader Joes down Harris. 

But things have probably changed. 

Back to the redevelopment, this has been discussed ad nauseam. University Place all the north to the Flying Saucer center has always been the focus that is discussed. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Harris Teeter is closer to much of the residence halls on campus but not all. I am thinking of all those apartments behind and next to this shopping center with the Food Lion.  Part of a walkable neighborhood is a grocery store option and just hope it will considered in the name redevelopment plans.  Maybe our first urban style Food Lion. 

• Like 2

On 8/25/2023 at 4:26 PM, KJHburg said:

the 30 year old shopping center across the street from UNCC campus on N Tryon may be redeveloped.  While I like the plan with apartments on the old empty big box which was a Kohls I am not sure how the Food Lion which is operating in this center fits into the new plan.  It is crucial that a grocery store remain or everyone in this area will have to drive further to a store.  I think the Kohls and strip center to the left should be knocked down first and redeveloped.  But a grocery store needs to remain as that is the only one within that area.

UNC Charlotte shares developer's redevelopment renderings for University City Square | News | ninertimes.com     Rarely do I link the student newspaper but here you go.

SQUARING UP | Digital Features (charlotte.edu)

basically I am saying there needs to be a way to keep a grocery store in this center and redevelopment somehow.  

lots of small businesses in this center as well Mallard-Pointe-Charlotte-Brochure-2021.pdf (cambridgeprop.com)

Good luck buying Starbucks and Chipotle out of their leases here!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KJHburg said:

New replacement University City library to open in 2025.  

https://www.cmlibrary.org/locations/university-city-regional

in my opinion, that's one ugly library and not likely to age well.  i guess everyone's bored with classic carolina colonial brick.  only thing i like is that it appears to abut the street-adjacent sidewalks.

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, rancenc said:

North Carolina developer BPR Properties plans Renaissance Inn hotel in University area

expand

BPR Properties wants to build a four-story, 139-room Renaissance Inn in the University area.

The High Point developer is seeking to rezone a 2.7-acre parcel at 7708 University City Blvd. That would allow the $25 million, 130,000-square-foot project to advance, says Birju Patel, president of BPR Properties........................................................

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2023/09/19/renaissance-inn-hotel-bpr-properties-university.html

One thing noted in this article is that the Residence by Marriott on N Tryon was recently converted into apartments so a long term stay hotel is needed to replace that one.  

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
10 hours ago, rancenc said:

University City area bar closes to make room for development.  Let's wait for the type of development coming, unless the group knows specifics for this site!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/other/a-north-charlotte-nightclub-is-closing-as-plans-for-new-development-move-forward/ar-AA1jAblj

Might be related to the Aldi project planned for that shopping center. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, rancenc said:

Was this good news?  Zoning committee denied it although I believe it was a split decision on its part.  Seems sprawl-y but I'm not sure.  Renee Johnson ultimately supported the petition in the end.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Today's CBJ "BPR Properties gets go-ahead to build $25M Residence Inn in University area" by Jennifer Thomas

Excerpts: "BPR Properties has gained rezoning approval to construct a $25 million hotel in Charlotte's University area.  The High Point developer plans a three-story, 139-room Residence Inn at 7708 University City Blvd.  The 100,203-square-foot hotel will sit on a 2.7-acre parcel.  BPR expects to close on that site this month.  Design and engineering will follow, with a goal of starting construction in 2025, says Birju Patel, president of BPR Properties.  He anticipates an 18-month construction period."

7708 University City Blvd, Charlotte, NC for sale - Primary Photo - Image 1 of 1

• Image - 7708 University City Boulevard by LoopNet.com

Link:  https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2024/01/29/residence-inn-marriott-hotel-university-bpr.html

Edited by QCxpat
  • Like 4