Velocity Rising

elguapo731

I would bet the garage sits about 50 feet from the sidewalk. I drove by last week and that about what it looked like to me. Sometimes its real hard to judge distance. You may be right though. I will go by when I get a chance and take a good look.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would bet the garage sits about 50 feet from the sidewalk. I drove by last week and that about what it looked like to me. Sometimes its real hard to judge distance. You may be right though. I will go by when I get a chance and take a good look.

There would plenty of room to fit condos in that space between the parking garage and the sidewalk fronting the street. I look forward to seeing this project completed and see the finished product. Once this one's completed the Gulch will feel so much more developed, and much more a neighborhood, in my opinion.

• 1 month later...

Concrete trucks lined up to pour.. i assume the bottom floor of parking? Not really sure.. there have been a lot of concrete trucks lately though..

000.jpg

The big concrete box has been complete for a couple weeks now..

002.jpg

The side near ICON, where the extension of Pine will go..

003.jpg

• 2 months later...

I drive by there every day and have been wondering the same thing about all the wood.. I've about convinced myself it's the Pine Street Lofts(?).. couldn't remember exactly where that was going to be, wondered if it would be right on top of Velocity like this? Thought I remembered some discussion about it being stick-built. Of course, I could be way off-base here too!

DAvid

I drive by there every day and have been wondering the same thing about all the wood.. I've about convinced myself it's the Pine Street Lofts(?).. couldn't remember exactly where that was going to be, wondered if it would be right on top of Velocity like this? Thought I remembered some discussion about it being stick-built. Of course, I could be way off-base here too!

DAvid

Pretty sure that this one was advertised as wood frame from the beginning. I expect it to be of mediocre quality, like the rest of Bristols developments seem to be. I just do not understand why they insist on ugly designs with poor material choices. I hoped this would change but after seeing the plans for their apartments in Germantown it is obvious it will not.

Friends,

Velocity -- I'm fairly certain -- was always to have been stick frame.

I stay in contact with a Bristol official consistently and work on Pine Street Lofts is a ways off. So these shots are not of PSLofts.

As to Bristol designs, there is no doubt the company has developed some buildings with uninspired architecture. To their credit, Bristol officials admit this. Bristol on Broadway here in Nashville and Bristol on Union in Memphis are "fine" examples of blandness. However, Icon is very solid overall, and the company's 1700Midtown could actually be edgy. Also, let's not forget Bristol used Woodson Gilchrist to design East End Lofts, which is sleek and cool.

The design division of Southeast Venture is handling the architectural work for both 1700Midtown and Bristol's building proposed for Germantown, which, based on the rendering, seems much less adventurous than 1700Midtown.

Bristol officials are coming around. They are fine people who want to give urban Nashville strong buildings. However, many of their team live in the suburbs (from what I gather) and the company got its start with suburban "garden style apartment complexes." So patience is needed.

ESU/William Williams

I can't help but notice how much The Velocity project reminds me of the Museum Bluffs Parkview project now nearing completion in Chattanooga. Here's some photos of the Museum Bluffs Parkview project for comparison. It's a gorgeous project. I wish I had some recent photos, but these give you an idea. I really believe The Velocity will be an awesome project for the Gulch. It will be very walkable, and will really create a neighborhood feel, in my opinion.

Renderings:

MuseumBluffsPhaseIIa.jpg

MuseumBluffsPhaseIIb.jpg

Early in Construction:

P7010335.jpg

P7010336.jpg

P7010337.jpg

P7010338.jpg

Later in Construction:

P2161784.jpg

P2161785.jpg

P2161786.jpg

P2161787.jpg

P2161789.jpg

P2161815.jpg

Thanks for sharing Hankster! You're right, they are similar. I was sort of taken a back when I saw Velocity with wooden structures going up, but now I feel better after seeing that awesome project in Chattanooga. I think you're right, the Velocity will bring a different characteristic to the Gulch.

• 1 month later...

Here are some updated photos.. I still cannot understand why there is so much wood in this project, combined with quite a bit of concrete as well. Is the wood more resistant to noise or something? (it being on the side of the train tracks)

From the Demonbreun St Bridge..

009.jpg

Looking down 11th..

106.jpg

Looking up 11th..

013.jpg

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know what, if anything, is going to happen to those train tracks behind the building there? I assume they're staying, but I would hope the rear of the building won't just remain as is with the small strip of dirt being the only thing between it and freight train tracks.

Archived