Who is going to buy all the Condos, (Part II)

monsoon

1 hour ago, Blue_Devil said:

They need to di more Durham mixed use. 20-30 condos, and 200 apartments in a tower, and a office or hotel component. We need more ownership 

fully agree I wish someone would do a mixed condo apartment tower like in Durham.  Even a condo hotel type tower like in Nashville they have the Four Seasons Hotel and Residences.  I prefer all to own eventually from the lowest price points to highest as real estate is one of the surest paths to wealth over time in this country.  That is why land trusts are good ideas and we have one in Charlotte.  https://www.westsideclt.org/

• Like 4

The MLS has a public site which many of you know. 

https://www.carolinahome.com/CRRA.Home/search

Go to map search and use filters for the type of home, price and so on. I used condominium first then later townhome.  The number available in the 400k$-800k$ is disappointing. Very few people are interested in a home anywhere inside 485 so limiting the choice by location makes the options even smaller. Unclear how many of those identified are under contract or otherwise unavailable. I live in a condo community and in the past 14 months three have sold and all to the first person and within 24 hours. If anyone here is in the condo market actively today I am interested in your experience.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Whose going to rent all these apartments edition:

Charlotte  is #11 highest nationwide in apartments underway.  However this will start slowing next year as larger tower apartment projects get delayed due to costs and interest rates.  

https://www.axios.com/2023/09/07/apartment-building-construction-record-high

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Whose going to rent all these apartments edition:

Charlotte  is #11 highest nationwide in apartments underway.  However this will start slowing next year as larger tower apartment projects get delayed due to costs and interest rates.  

https://www.axios.com/2023/09/07/apartment-building-construction-record-high

My goodness, those Austin numbers are off the charts per capita. Also, Raleigh-Cary MSA crushing it as well as it’s just 1.4 million.  After Austin and Raleigh, Charlotte and Nashville are probably next in per capita growth. Overall, great numbers for North Carolina. 

Edited by Crucial_Infra
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

who is going to rent  all these apartments edition:

Charlotte as of right now is holding up better than its peer cities in vacancy and rental rates.  However we have proportional by a lot the most apartments under construction if you look at our market size.  Charlotte's rental rate will soften even more and vacancy will increase.   All markets are seeing asking rents decrease! 

I looked at Atlanta, Nashville and Raleigh Cary metro (only) and Charlotte.   This is all metro figures of course.  Notice NC markets have the lowest asking rents in this comparison.  Check out the report to sell the major metros.  

Absorption of New Apartments                                  

Q2 2023  Q3 2023                                                       

2295       2198     Charlotte

2413       2278   Nashville 

1374    1528   Raleigh

1811      2830  Atlanta 

Vacancy Rates   Q2 and Q3 2023

9.9       9.9       Charlotte

10,6    11.5   Nashville

9.6   10.4   Raleigh

9.9    11.0   Atlanta 

Asking Rents Q2 and Q3 2023  in $

1599   1566 Charlotte

1669  1639  Nashville

1583  1551  Raleigh

1653   1618  Atlanta 

Total inventory in units per market

203,593  Charlotte

151,815 Nashville

115,782  Raleigh

478,174  Atlanta 

Under construction units as of 3Q 2023

30,937   Charlotte

19,949  Nashville

14,900 Raleigh

32,569  Atlanta

U.S. Multifamily MarketBeat | United States | Cushman & Wakefield (cushmanwakefield.com)   full report

conclusion  vacancies will continue to rise in all 4 cities and rents will fall in all above.   Construction will slow in all markets from the last few years.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

That’s a lot of units under construction in Charlotte and Raleigh proper.  What kind of Yearly Job Growth most you have to sustain that?  Doesn’t the Triangle have stronger long term Job Growth forecasts than Charlotte 

Raleigh Durham is growing faster than the Charlotte metro area but in saying that their units under construction will be slowing as their vacancy rates are slightly higher than ours and rising still.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Raleigh Durham is growing faster than the Charlotte metro area but in saying that their units under construction will be slowing as their vacancy rates are slightly higher than ours and rising still.  

I can believe that because when I lived there in the Triangle Metro, I believe a much higher share of folks were buying SFH’s and Townhomes, so not as many apartments being leased.  It used to feel like developable land was endless in Johnston and Wake Counties.

• Like 4