Election '08: Primaries

JDC

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^But we have not seen a primary like this in decades in the USA, certainly longer than the living memory of most Americans now where the nominee is actually chosen at the convention instead of it being a big coronation party. The fact that Edwards has left the race reduces the chance of that happening now, but I think a lot depends on how the race ends up for Hillary and if people think she can actually beat McCain or not. My guess is that some super delegates may change their vote if it means that McCain could end up taking the Presidency.

McCain is just roaring past the competition now, with both Giuliani and Schwarzenegger (sp?) jumping on his bandwagon yesterday. At one point yesterday, three of the AP's top five articles contained "McCain" in the title: two concerning these endorsements, and one about Romney saying McCain was not in the Republican "mainstream". Of course that comment could not have come at a worse time, as it ended up sandwiched between articles describing McCain's support from two of the GOP's most prominent members.

The Democratic Party would be insane to nominate Hillary Clinton. If it ins't obvious already, she is polarizing. After the past 8 years, maybe 16 years, we have done nothing but become more and more divided as a country. There is such an US vs. THEM mentality that paralizes us from really getting anything done, that electing one more president who is reviled by the other party is ludicris. I won't say that Obama will completely eliminate this problem, but we all know Hillary will keep the wound festering. I want someone in office who will 1) at least try and bring people together, and 2) if they try will not already have an army of enemies lined up to prevent them from doing it.

I know many Democrats who can't stand Hillary, I can't say the same for Obama, or Edwards even. I definitely know people in the GOP who can't stand her. Why would you intentionally send someone like this out there as your leader?

The pundits are saying that Edwards has about 48 hours (starting from yesterday) to endorse either Hillary or Obama, or he becomes basically irrelevant in the race given that super Tuesday is next week. I do wonder why he has not done this yet. Could it be that he is still trying to work some kind of "deal"? I had heard that he had approached both campaigns a couple of weeks ago and that Obama basically said "no deals" but that he got a good reception from the Clinton campaign. Time will tell I guess.

I found this piece by David Broder of the Washington Post fairly interesting. Broder seems to think that the establishment of the Democratic party may be abandoning the clintons, however unspoken this may be at this point. As I have said before, the nomination of Hillary Clinton is a death-knell for the Democrats in November. I also fail to understand how two small states, New Hampshire and Nevada, represent much of a victory fo Clinton. Florida and Michigan aren't on the table, however much Hillary would like to reverse this.

The Washington Post

I just had lunch with my mom. She has always been moderate and votes her concience. My step dad is a born again conservative (he has woken up from the dream that all GOP candidates are great and are fically responsible) and now is open minded to either party for his vote. Both of them are considering voting for Obama - both of them will vote GOP if Hillary is the nominee. Both of them are actually excited about this new, young, bright candidate over anyone on either side.

If the Dems drop the ball on this I'll lose any hope that this party is any longer relevant.

I found this piece by David Broder of the Washington Post fairly interesting. Broder seems to think that the establishment of the Democratic party may be abandoning the clintons, however unspoken this may be at this point. As I have said before, the nomination of Hillary Clinton is a death-knell for the Democrats in November. I also fail to understand how two small states, New Hampshire and Nevada, represent much of a victory fo Clinton. Florida and Michigan aren't on the table, however much Hillary would like to reverse this.

The Washington Post

I just had lunch with my mom. She has always been moderate and votes her concience. My step dad is a born again conservative (he has woken up from the dream that all GOP candidates are great and are fically responsible) and now is open minded to either party for his vote. Both of them are considering voting for Obama - both of them will vote GOP if Hillary is the nominee. Both of them are actually excited about this new, young, bright candidate over anyone on either side.

If the Dems drop the ball on this I'll lose any hope that this party is any longer relevant.

The Culinary Workers' Union endorsement today has to help Obama in California, but the question is will it be enough to help him win the state rather then just running a close second? Either way he looks posed to collect a lot of delegates from the state, but if could actually beat Clinton there the media narrative would shift further in his direction for the primaries to follow.

One concern I think that has to bother the Obama campaign terribly is his recent surge will not change votes already cast in early voting before SC, so he might need some really good margins on election day in many states for his momentum to actually be reflected in the vote and delegate count.

Conservative commentator Ann Coulter has endorsed Hillary Clinton surprisingly. She blasted John McCain saying that he was not a true Republican and would be bad for the party and the nation.

True. Nonetheless, the right-wing punditry absolutely despises McCain. Unless it's due to his willingness to work with Democrats, I really can't figure out why these people would shoot their party in the foot by trashing its only electable candidate. It's certainly going to be fun to see what Limbaugh, O'Reilly, Coulter, etc. have to say about the likely match-up between McCain and the Democratic nominee. :whistling:

The intra-party bashing among the Reps is a delicious thing to see.:)

The Boston Herald has endorsed McCain. On Hardball last night, an editorial page editor for the Boston Herald was ripping into Romney. Turns out Massachusettes Reps HATE Romney. Other Mass. Rep. groups have come out for McCain as well. Pundits are saying it will be an effort for Romney to win the Mass. Rep. primary!

The people that truly know Romney, the folks in Mass, KNOW he is a fraud. Just like the people in NYC--they know all about Guliani's lies and misrepresentations.

By the way I was amused seeing Guliani endorsing McCain. It looked like McCain was about to die when Rudi offered to campaign for him!

The intra-party bashing among the Reps is a delicious thing to see.:)

The Boston Herald has endorsed McCain. On Hardball last night, an editorial page editor for the Boston Herald was ripping into Romney. Turns out Massachusettes Reps HATE Romney. Other Mass. Rep. groups have come out for McCain as well. Pundits are saying it will be an effort for Romney to win the Mass. Rep. primary!

The people that truly know Romney, the folks in Mass, KNOW he is a fraud. Just like the people in NYC--they know all about Guliani's lies and misrepresentations.

By the way I was amused seeing Guliani endorsing McCain. It looked like McCain was about to die when Rudi offered to campaign for him!

Archived