Hilton Norfolk at The Main

vdogg

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are 2 design review meetings left this year, one on the 2nd and one on the 16th of December. If this project is to begin construction in January they need to be going through the design review process now and need to be on one of the next 2 agendas. I'm getting less optimistic as time passes that this will be the case. They should, at a minimum, offer an update of where this project stands by the end of the month.

Actually heard this weekend at Better Block that the project is moving forward and meetings have been ongoing regarding the design.  They thought they were ready about a month ago for public release, but the parties involved decided against it and wanted to add certain components to it.  I was told plans will now be released in December, so maybe we'll see something during the December meeting or January...

On a positive note, the person I spoke to about it was really excited and said the plans are something unique that we haven't seen yet in Norfolk.  He said he couldn't get into specifics though when I kept pressing.

• 4 weeks later...

I guess this is as much of an update as we're gonna get for now....

http://insidebiz.com/news/norfolk-mayor-updates-downtowns-development-and-residential-projects

* Plans to build a 290-room Hilton hotel and $50,000 square-foot conference center downtown are under way. Fraim said the developer, Gold Key {sodEmoji.|} PHR Hotels & Resorts CEO Bruce Thompson, is talking about putting more than the $64 million he committed into the $126 million project.

"We hope to have a ground-breaking in a couple of months and push things forward," he said. "But this is a very optimistic mayor speaking."[ /quote ]

• 3 weeks later...

Atlanta-based Cooper Carry is the design and architecture firm, and Newport News-based W.M. Jordan Co. will be the general contractor. Easton, Pa.-based Pompan Hospitality Global Inc. will be the consultant for the conference center. Construction is expected to commence in the first quarter of 2014.

Looks like things are moving along nicely, I'm excited!

Any news about how tall this tower will be? I can't see it being more than about 25 stories. 

Last official statement said 23 stories. That was a while ago though.

Here it is the 27th.....and NOTHING!

I just want to see a rendering

Several other projects are in the works thanks to public-private partnerships. A group headed by Bruce Thompson, CEO of Gold Key/PHR Hotels & Resorts, is renovating the historic Cavalier Hotel property in Virginia Beach.  Work is expected to begin this month on another Thompson project:  a $126 million luxury hotel and conference center in downtown Norfolk.  The new year also should bring the renovation of the city’s Waterside project into an entertainment/restaurant venue.

http://www.virginiabusiness.com/news/article/a-so-so-year

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow, here it is Jan 27th 2014 and the public has not been given any info concerning the progression of this project. All I see at the site is storage for the construction of the new library. I cannot find any tid-bit of any kind about a rendering of what they would like the hotel to look like. UGH!!!

... Exactly how I'm feeling I really would like this hotel and conference center to actually be built and it be build at the height thats been talled about, the same height as the dominion tower. But yet I havent seen a thing on this project recently does anyone have any contacts that kniw anything?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived