Center Pointe

cityboi

It was suppose to be complete back in June but they got behind schedule. I dont see how because we havent had enough rain days to put it this far behind schedule. Now they are saying it will be complete next Spring. Construction started on Center Pointe 2 years ago. The exterior is pretty much done. I guess its taking a while to get the interior done.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was suppose to be complete back in June but they got behind schedule. I dont see how because we havent had enough rain days to put it this far behind schedule. Now they are saying it will be complete next Spring. Construction started on Center Pointe 2 years ago. The exterior is pretty much done. I guess its taking a while to get the interior done.

The problem is no buyers. Many have just forfieted their deposits. Sales are not going well after the intial burst over 2 years ago. Just look at the other project at Friendly, they can not even break ground due to the lack of sales.

The problem is no buyers. Many have just forfieted their deposits. Sales are not going well after the intial burst over 2 years ago. Just look at the other project at Friendly, they can not even break ground due to the lack of sales.

Kmurphy, I appreciate your information! What are you sources? I know a number of "movers and shakers" downtown and I'm not hearing this!

I do know what sales have slowed quite a bit! However, to say that "many" have forfieted their deposits is questionable!

I'm just requesting factual, more specific and accurate reporting when someone has a scoop! :thumbsup:

residential sales have pretty muched dropped around the country for obvious reasons. but that should not be a reason for slow construction in this case. The units are being constructed whether they have sold or not. We will have a new administration in DC so I suspect the economy will pick back up and we'll see more buyers for downtown residential units in the next few years.

• 3 weeks later...

Roy Carroll is going to reveal the name of the restaurant that will occupy the first floor shortly. It will likely be some what of an upscale restaurant. Wonder if it will a chain restaurant such as Carrabba's or another Chop House. Downtown lacks a a really good steak restaurant.

The restaurant for the first floor of Center Pointe has been announced. The restaurant will be called "Avenue" and will feature a New American menu with dinner entrees ranging from $18 to $35. Lunch prices will range from $7 to $11.

Avenue also provides what Nicks calls residence service. Tenants can have a meal delivered to their condos by a waiter who will set their tables and come back later to take away the dishes.

Nicks called the feature a first for Greensboro.

http://www.news-record.com/content/2009/01...aurant_downtown

This may have already been previously discussed, but I didn't want to wade through the other messages. I know there was speculation for a while that Roy Carroll might build a second tower beside Center Pointe. I, as well as most of you, doubt that anything of that magnitude is unlikely to occur given the current economic situation. However, I noticed that the side of Center Pointe facing the adjoining lot does not have any balconies while most other sides of the buildings do. Does anyone know if Roy Carroll did this in order to leave the possibility open for building a second tower beside it?

This may have already been previously discussed, but I didn't want to wade through the other messages. I know there was speculation for a while that Roy Carroll might build a second tower beside Center Pointe. I, as well as most of you, doubt that anything of that magnitude is unlikely to occur given the current economic situation. However, I noticed that the side of Center Pointe facing the adjoining lot does not have any balconies while most other sides of the buildings do. Does anyone know if Roy Carroll did this in order to leave the possibility open for building a second tower beside it?

good observation. Actually Roy Carroll did say he left that side without balconies with a future tower in mind on that side of the building. There was a rendering floating around out there which showed a tower twice the height of Center Pointe (around 30 stories) Of course its going to be some time before we see a second tower built next to Center Pointe. Its more at a visionary stage at this point but clearly Roy Carroll is serious about it or he would not have left the north side of Center Pointe without balconies. If I had to guess, we may see concrete plans for a second tower in about 5 years. Just depends on the economic situation over the next several years.

From what I understand the restaurant will take up most if not all of the first floor. Some time ago I heard a coffee shop could open on the first floor too but I havent heard anything like that now, just the restaurant. The second floor is for office space and the remaining upper floors are condos.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The wait is nearly over and the first tenants will be moving in within the month!

http://www.news-record.com/content/2009/03...t_center_pointe

Centre%20Pointe%201%20010909.jpg

Carroll used Thursday’s talk to pitch some of Center Pointe’s features: valet parking, laundry service, cat-feeding and dog-walking services, grocery delivery, room service from the first-floor restaurant and a fitness center with personal trainers.

Carroll said the center will have a rock-climbing wall that operates on a conveyor belt for people who are afraid of heights."

You scooped me once again Cityboi!

This project sounds really top notch and something Greensboro has never seen before. It's good to have developers like Carroll who have big things in mind.

Yea i'm on the news like white on rice LOL. looks like Roy Carroll wants to build a 200 unit apartment complex near the ballpark too. He says it will have court yards in the interior with the parking on the perimeter. Im not sure about the placement of the parking. I think the parking should be in the interior so that it has a less suburban layout.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As CenterPointe has not been able to cross the 50% threshold in sales for the past 3 years, and since the housing market in Greensboro remains gloomy, I wouldn't hold my breath for any announcements of new residential construction downtown. Even the new building on South Elm and the Southeastern conversion have been placed on very slow tracks.

Archived